GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

upgrade Halogen to Bi-Xenon Headlamps with active curve illumination

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X166
upgrade Halogen to Bi-Xenon Headlamps with active curve illumination

Hello!

I bought GL450 2013, happy with it so far, but it is missing lighting package. Is it possible to upgrade regular halogen headlights to bi-xenon with active cornering? After having it on previous car regular halogens are just nor right. Could not find an answer on this forum. If yes, how much it might cost?
Old 01-06-2014, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
The answer is frankly - no - cannot be upgraded to Intelligent after production.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I passed on a 2011 one year because it didn't have the lighting package. Fab is right, you can't get the intelligent lights, about the best you can do is install bi-xenons. There is a thread on that subject.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:42 PM

GL450
I'm shocked xenon's are standard on a car costing this much.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:42 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by tarantas
Hello!

I bought GL450 2013, happy with it so far, but it is missing lighting package. Is it possible to upgrade regular halogen headlights to bi-xenon with active cornering? After having it on previous car regular halogens are just nor right. Could not find an answer on this forum. If yes, how much it might cost?

Trust me...I assumed the "LED Daytime Running Lights" on the sticker was part of the "lighting package". I would never think that MB would come with halogens. I had upgraded my halogens to the Philips Super White bulbs, NOT the same as Xenons but 1000% better than the stock halogens.

I am working on a aftermarket (plug and play) solution and have bought 3 kits but I haven't had 100% success without flickering because I am going from a 55w to a 35w ballast and the quirkiness with MBs electrical system. A company called RetroFit Source is getting a NEW German ACIS ballast next week that I have heard solves the issue with flickering. If this works I will post it in my topic about HID conversion. I had used the XENONs from Retrofit and they are AWESOME, looks OEM and the cutoffs are really perfect.

I also looked at the option of purchasing the lighting kit from MB and having it installed but my MB dealer or a couple of them in New Jersey WILL NOT DO IT. I assume you probably could have a auto body place do it but you would need to reprogram the power output and place the correct wiring harness to have the adapt lighting feature.

If you find anything else, let me know. I am eager to find a solution too!
Old 02-01-2014, 06:03 PM

X166
I had not much choise. I was looking with white designo interior. That was the only car in the area (South Florida). The only thing I am not happy is headlights and I knew it in advance, but interior overweighted my decision.

Does anyone know a installer, who can replace bulbs in South Florida? Preferrably East Broward.

I also need to get the power from upper console (where the mirror is) for two devices: radar detector and video regostrator (dashcam).

After one month of driving X166 overall I am happy, but Mercedes COMAND is total crap comparing to Audi and Porsche. When I had time, I will post my thoughts.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:49 PM

Ml 320
Hey Tarantas,

Unlike some claim here I do think it's possible to fit ILS. On this Dutch forum I found someone who did it with a W166, have a look. It will be expensive though... http://www.mercedesforum.nl/forum/vi...66+ils#p532125