GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Thinking of buying or leasing GL350 or 450. Any input appreciated!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 11:10 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
R8 5.2 6MT
Thinking of buying or leasing GL350 or 450. Any input appreciated!

Hi everyone I am a new member (aside from the few posts I had in 2009) and we are in the process of trying to decide on a family SUV. Currently our family has just three members (wife, 2 y/o son, and I) but we are hoping to have another little one in the near future. We need a rig that can accommodate our relatives when they visit, hence the need for three rows.

After looking at everything from a MDX, X5, QX60, GX460, Sequoia,new Highlander, Acadia Denali, Durango R/T, and the GL the only three SUVs we are interested in are the GL, QX60 Hybrid, and Durango R/T as these are the only ones that IMHO are not huge but can comfortably sit adults in the third row while offering the options I like. Of the three, the GL is my obvious favorite though I just don't know if it is worth spending an extra $20-30k over the others. I have thought about buying a CPO 2013 but seems none of them have the dynamic/adaptive cruise control which is a feature I must have!

I have browsed this forum a bit and it appears that trying to get a discount on a GL350 is near impossible but seems on the 450 a discount may be possible. The dealer I spoke to in Phoenix said they do not discount their GL's. I don't care how nice or fast moving the GL is, but I will not pay sticker price for any vehicle. Can anyone please provide me some info on if discounts can be had? I am willing to purchase out of state for a better deal if possible as i have done this before many times. Also, is it honestly worth spending an extra $30k for the GL when the little ones will make a big mess inside, vomit, leaky diapers, etc? Finally, I have always purchased our vehicles, which we usually only keep for 3-4 yrs on avg...is leasing a new GL the better way to go? Hope to get some good feedback! Thanks everyone!
Old 01-16-2014, 11:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
in CA you don't recoup sales tax when you sell a car so leasing a high-end vehicle isn't a bad way to go if you really only keep your cars for 3-4 years. otherwise you are paying sales tax on the entire vehicle rather than the portion you "use".

but i think AZ is different right? you get a break on sales tax when you trade in for a new car?

i leased but kind of wish i had bought because i really like the car and was thinking it's the "one". usually i am itching to get a new car after 2 years. i am only 9 months into this one but really love it. we had a 2011 GL450 before this in the same color and wanted a few more options, so i splurged we have had quite a few SUVs over the years and the GL pretty much fits the bill the best. we have two young kids, 3 and 5, and we like the extra space and have visiting in laws twice a year.

it's also a beautiful car and a real head turner IMHO
Old 01-16-2014, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
I have never paid sticker for any new car ever…..and that includes first year models, "hard to get," etc. That being said…. I live on the east coast and there are plenty of dealers within a 100 mile radius that would like the business…..and I am willing to travel up to 500 miles to make a deal. At very least….any dealer SHOULD and could….discount a minimum of $1000 off of a 450GL. Since you will be ordering the vehicle….any dealer can take the order and if you are willing to travel, they can deliver. There are plenty of materials here on the forum and internet in general that will give you MSRP and INVOICE for each ordered item, etc……in my car buying experience, I have often used this line while on the phone with a distant dealer, " I have researched the pricing on the internet, give me a 'dollars off' amount (on a loaded whatever) to get my interest and I'll make the trip to visit you!" Usually has its best effect during the last two weeks of the month. Overall, the GL is the finest SUV on the market…..this is my 3rd but I have owned several other brands over the years.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3
Hi everyone I am a new member (aside from the few posts I had in 2009) and we are in the process of trying to decide on a family SUV. Currently our family has just three members (wife, 2 y/o son, and I) but we are hoping to have another little one in the near future. We need a rig that can accommodate our relatives when they visit, hence the need for three rows.

After looking at everything from a MDX, X5, QX60, GX460, Sequoia,new Highlander, Acadia Denali, Durango R/T, and the GL the only three SUVs we are interested in are the GL, QX60 Hybrid, and Durango R/T as these are the only ones that IMHO are not huge but can comfortably sit adults in the third row while offering the options I like. Of the three, the GL is my obvious favorite though I just don't know if it is worth spending an extra $20-30k over the others. I have thought about buying a CPO 2013 but seems none of them have the dynamic/adaptive cruise control which is a feature I must have!

I have browsed this forum a bit and it appears that trying to get a discount on a GL350 is near impossible but seems on the 450 a discount may be possible. The dealer I spoke to in Phoenix said they do not discount their GL's. I don't care how nice or fast moving the GL is, but I will not pay sticker price for any vehicle. Can anyone please provide me some info on if discounts can be had? I am willing to purchase out of state for a better deal if possible as i have done this before many times. Also, is it honestly worth spending an extra $30k for the GL when the little ones will make a big mess inside, vomit, leaky diapers, etc? Finally, I have always purchased our vehicles, which we usually only keep for 3-4 yrs on avg...is leasing a new GL the better way to go? Hope to get some good feedback! Thanks everyone!
We just ordered 2014 gl 350 BT , got almost 3600 off msrp and got fleet discount from mb ( thru our company program). I think if you are willing to wait and order from a dealer who has a open slot, you can get some discounts, also check costco dealer discounts. Sometimes out of town (small town ) dealers are likely to give you better price. I had similar offers from a dealer outside of Chicago and the one in Rochester MN, we went with Rochester one as they are only 100 miles from us.
Now we wait anxiously for expected delivery of our GL in March
Old 01-16-2014, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML 350 sold, 2014 Bluetec "Rudy"
Infamily, saw you ordered your GL from Rochester. I just got my ML BT from them. We ordered it and got it Dec26. Nice folks. We are in Mankato.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:17 PM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
Originally Posted by Phil.mount
Infamily, saw you ordered your GL from Rochester. I just got my ML BT from them. We ordered it and got it Dec26. Nice folks. We are in Mankato.
Yes they have been wonderful so far, they have even offered to send a driver to pick us up from twin cities when the car arrives. We are in Plymouth MN. Now waiting anxiously for our GL to arrive.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:17 AM

2014 GL350, 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie
Fellow desi here haha. What state are you in? I know some dealers that will give around $4k off msrp if you order one. Wait is 4 months though.

I don't know much about leasing the gl so I can't help you there.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:27 AM

Nvm just saw you are in Phoenix. Look for a dealer that honors costco pricing. They probably won't on the GL but those are the easiest ones to negotiate with. They may still give discounts of up to $4k.

If you are willing to come order one from Washington, the dealership in Bellingham is awesome. Dennis (great guy to deal with) was offering to sell me one for $500 over invoice. I just couldn't wait the 4 months.

One of the Nevada dealers was giving me a good discount too but refused to sell when he found out I was out of state. I'll check which dealer that was and get back to you.

Last edited by bignasty; 01-17-2014 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:21 AM

R8 5.2 6MT
Originally Posted by bignasty
Nvm just saw you are in Phoenix. Look for a dealer that honors costco pricing. They probably won't on the GL but those are the easiest ones to negotiate with. They may still give discounts of up to $4k.

If you are willing to come order one from Washington, the dealership in Bellingham is awesome. Dennis (great guy to deal with) was offering to sell me one for $500 over invoice. I just couldn't wait the 4 months.

One of the Nevada dealers was giving me a good discount too but refused to sell when he found out I was out of state. I'll check which dealer that was and get back to you.
I actually used to live in Bellevue from 2007-2010. If possible, ask your dealer if he would be willing to deal to an out of state buyer. I will be visiting up there in June so can always take delivery while I'm visiting and drive back to AZ.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:50 AM

Are you a costco member? If so, just email dennisb@wilsonmotors.com (Bellingham) and tell him you want the costco pricing on a gl350 build. Mention you used to live nearby and I think it should be fine. That's all I did and he offered $500 above invoice. He's a great guy to deal with too.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by infamily
Yes they have been wonderful so far, they have even offered to send a driver to pick us up from twin cities when the car arrives. We are in Plymouth MN. Now waiting anxiously for our GL to arrive.
Cool, I live in the Rochester area (actually in Mazeppa which is north. I've always dealt with Feldmann's since the Rochester store just opened last March.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:38 PM

2014 450 gl
Good local MB dealer

Contact joe Cleary at Jackie cooper imports
Tulsa Oklahoma.
joecleary@cooperautogroup.com
Call 918-850-3195
Hope this helps .
I did receive $3500 off mrsp
Good person to work with and attentive.
Ps nothing in this for me, just trying to get a good deal!
Old 01-21-2014, 05:22 PM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
Cool, I live in the Rochester area (actually in Mazeppa which is north. I've always dealt with Feldmann's since the Rochester store just opened last March.
Do you take your car for service to Feldman? Rochester might be worth a try. I understand they were a MB dealership in Wisconsin before they relocated to Rochester
Old 01-21-2014, 06:21 PM

I had my 06 ML serviced there to kind of check them out. Wife was happy and preferred the drive vs going to the Cities. We used Sears for all the previous service and were very happy with all but the traffic getting there. So far, have not been back to Rochester which is very good news! New ML is just perfect so far. But, we are going to go back there for service based on previous. Also, got a very good deal on the 7 125 ELW.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:42 PM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
I had my 06 ML serviced there to kind of check them out. Wife was happy and preferred the drive vs going to the Cities. We used Sears for all the previous service and were very happy with all but the traffic getting there. So far, have not been back to Rochester which is very good news! New ML is just perfect so far. But, we are going to go back there for service based on previous. Also, got a very good deal on the 7 125 ELW.
Cool , can you share what you paid for 7 125 ELW, like how much off from MB list price? Thanks
Old 01-21-2014, 10:14 PM

Cool , can you share what you paid for 7 125 ELW, like how much off from MB list price? Thanks
Ask for Sue if you haven't met her already, $3550 for ML BT
Old 01-22-2014, 07:55 AM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
Ask for Sue if you haven't met her already, $3550 for ML BT
thank you, yes have talked to Sue , nice person, very professional
Old 01-25-2014, 02:39 PM

X5
Originally Posted by bignasty
Are you a costco member? If so, just email dennisb@wilsonmotors.com (Bellingham) and tell him you want the costco pricing on a gl350 build. Mention you used to live nearby and I think it should be fine. That's all I did and he offered $500 above invoice. He's a great guy to deal with too.
Bignasty and punjabi Bhai,

Another desi here from Punjab. Hehe

I'm in bellevue and thinking about GL. I have ordered 2014 x5 but tired of waiting. My order was put in order bank in dec still haven't got production slot from BMW.

I'm thinking of picking up GL from lot since I need the car.

How much discount you got from Nevada dealer? Was it same what Dennis was offering.

Pm me you both and we should talk.

Thank u
Old 02-11-2014, 03:14 PM

R8 5.2 6MT
Alright folks so it is down to either the GL350 or a Durango R/T or Citadel. The MB will cost approx $30k more (so basically 65% more) than the Durango but I'm thinking that better resale of the diesel, better mpg (compared to HEMI V8), and the fact that we would likely keep it longer offsets some of that cost I believe. Here is how I am thinking of ordering it. Please feel free to chime in on the build:

GL 350 bluetec
Polar white
Almond beige MB Tex
20" wheels
Lighting pkg
Illuminated running boards
Brown satin ash wood
Heated steering wheel
Heated rear seats
3 zone climate control
Premium 1 pkg
Harman Kardon audio
Rear seat ent pre-wiring
Keyless GO
Rear side window sunshades
MB tex wrapped lower dashboard
Driver assistance pkg
Parking assist pkg
Trailer hitch kit
In vehicle hotspot

Am curious to hear if the hotspot is worthwhile or if it is something to avoid or will be outdated in the near future? Also, with the rear entertainment pre-wiring, can you use an aftermarket setup or does it have to be the MB one should you decide to have this put in a few years down the road? What are the thoughts on the ipod docking station? Is it something that can be done later or does it need to be ordered at time of build to have the necessary wiring harness? Input much appreciated!

Last edited by PunjabiM3; 02-11-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:50 PM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3
Alright folks so it is down to either the GL350 or a Durango R/T or Citadel. The MB will cost approx $30k more (so basically 65% more) than the Durango but I'm thinking that better resale of the diesel, better mpg (compared to HEMI V8), and the fact that we would likely keep it longer offsets some of that cost I believe. Here is how I am thinking of ordering it. Please feel free to chime in on the build:

GL 350 bluetec
Polar white
Almond beige MB Tex
20" wheels
Lighting pkg
Illuminated running boards
Brown satin ash wood
Heated steering wheel
Heated rear seats
3 zone climate control
Premium 1 pkg
Harman Kardon audio
Rear seat ent pre-wiring
Keyless GO
Rear side window sunshades
MB tex wrapped lower dashboard
Driver assistance pkg
Parking assist pkg
Trailer hitch kit
In vehicle hotspot

Am curious to hear if the hotspot is worthwhile or if it is something to avoid or will be outdated in the near future? Also, with the rear entertainment pre-wiring, can you use an aftermarket setup or does it have to be the MB one should you decide to have this put in a few years down the road? What are the thoughts on the ipod docking station? Is it something that can be done later or does it need to be ordered at time of build to have the necessary wiring harness? Input much appreciated!
I have heard in vehicle hotspot is very slow and outdated. Look into verizon or other phone company hotspot. Same monthly cost as MB hotspot cost.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 GLS450, Previously 2017 GLS450, 2014 GL450, 2012 GL450
Have you driven the Durango? The ride and drive is significantly different from the GL.

Secondly, I would recommend against getting an iPad docking station from MB. One, because it doesn't fit the new iPads, and two because the amount they charge and how quickly it can get outdated is really unappealing.

I got aftermarket tablet holders, adjustable for different tablets and didn't become useless when I went from iPad 3 to iPad Air. And now they have the 115v outlet in the second row, charging should be real easy.

And then get an iPad LTE, which you can use hotspot on. That's how I did it.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:59 PM

R8 5.2 6MT
Originally Posted by Ah_gl450
Have you driven the Durango? The ride and drive is significantly different from the GL.

Secondly, I would recommend against getting an iPad docking station from MB. One, because it doesn't fit the new iPads, and two because the amount they charge and how quickly it can get outdated is really unappealing.

I got aftermarket tablet holders, adjustable for different tablets and didn't become useless when I went from iPad 3 to iPad Air. And now they have the 115v outlet in the second row, charging should be real easy.

And then get an iPad LTE, which you can use hotspot on. That's how I did it.
Thanks for the input. Based on all this, I will pass on the MB hotspot and ipod docking.

I have driven a Durango R/T. I thought it was actually quite pleasant to drive given it shares the same platform as the GL/ML and uses the ZF 8-speed auto that Audi and BMW use (I have this gearbox in my A6 and it is fantastic). I didn't find the ride to be offensive either in the Durango. Is the GL nicer? Of course without a doubt. Is it $30k better? I highly doubt it, but obviously there must be a reason I am thinking about dropping the extra $30k on the GL diesel. One of the appealing things about going the Durango route is I would have a SUV that I wouldn't care so much about door dings, rock chips, etc...kind of like having a nice beater. Whereas on the MB everyone will automatically think baller. Always pros and cons to any vehicle.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Do you take your car for service to Feldman? Rochester might be worth a try. I understand they were a MB dealership in Wisconsin before they relocated to Rochester
I missed this with my vacation/cruise. I still get service at Feldmann's, I like their free airport shuttle when I fly. Rochester would probably be more convenient, might change sometime.

You are right, the Rochester dealership used to be the Wausau dealership, they must have decided Rochester is a more lucrative market.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
if you currently have an R8 and A6 (your sig) why not just pick up a Q7 TDI - awesome truck and extremely solid.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:13 PM

05 e320 cdi
btw, the location of the heated steering wheel is difficult to get to and even more challenging to see if the light is on, i thought there should be a light on the dash, but there isnt.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying or leasing GL350 or 450. Any input appreciated!