GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Creaking from chassis flex...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 MB GL500
Creaking from chassis flex...

Good day guys,

I'm relatively new to the boards and only recently purchased my 2013 550 and introduced myself on here.

So far been loving the GL but I need to take it in for the following:-

- Front headlights are fogging up from the top (where the DRLs are) - I believe they need to be replaced under warrantee.. Hope im just unlucky and that it won't happen again.

- Driver seat lumbar and massage function completely inop.. Could be a loose connection or something - nothing to get riled up about since these things happen.

- THIS IS WHATS BOTHERING AND ID LIKE TO ASK ABOUT... Has anyone taking the apparent common creaking issue up with dealership, it's a clear body flex issue which seems to be coming from the doors.. It's getting on my nerves and id really like a solution.. I know for fact many are facing this problem but I've done a search with no info.. I believe some commented about having weather strips replaced with no improvement?

Your thoughts please because I really wanna get this eliminated or minimized at the least.. If dealer is no help I may start getting creative with black padded tape on the inner door edges.. I just don't want to interfere with soft close system or induce air leaks...

Help please
Old 02-03-2014, 01:48 AM

2013 MB GL500
I can't be the only one with this issue... Anyone?
Old 02-03-2014, 06:25 AM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
Can I ask what you are doing to put the vehicle in a position to hear or feel flex?

Btw... I have had none of those issues.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:45 AM

2013 MB GL500
Nothing I promise.. I sent the vehicle to the dealer with the former two issues (headlights fogging, and driver seat lumbar), the service advisor was surprised, apparently it's the first time he sees such issues with the X166.. I forgot to ask about the creaking issue unfortunately.. Will do when I send it on the weekend to get the other issues looked at.

On my introduction thread, two members told me it was normal and they both felt/heard the creak which seems to be coming from the door edges.. It seems to indeed be a valid structural rigidity issue typical of a heavy unibody structure. I just feel that there must be a way of solving the issue or minimizing the creaks at the least.

I also recall reading somewhere on the thread that another member had it looked at and I believe the offer changed the weather strips which didn't solve the issue.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
Originally Posted by BiTurboV8
Nothing I promise.. I sent the vehicle to the dealer with the former two issues (headlights fogging, and driver seat lumbar), the service advisor was surprised, apparently it's the first time he sees such issues with the X166.. I forgot to ask about the creaking issue unfortunately.. Will do when I send it on the weekend to get the other issues looked at.

On my introduction thread, two members told me it was normal and they both felt/heard the creak which seems to be coming from the door edges.. It seems to indeed be a valid structural rigidity issue typical of a heavy unibody structure. I just feel that there must be a way of solving the issue or minimizing the creaks at the least.

I also recall reading somewhere on the thread that another member had it looked at and I believe the offer changed the weather strips which didn't solve the issue.
The dealer will install felt tape here and there which will do nothing for the creaking, just get used to it, unless you want to take the vehicle apart and put dynamat and felt tape everywhere. P.S Dynamat is not cheap!
Old 02-03-2014, 12:12 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
find an AMG exhaust system off of ebay and listen to more fun sounds!
Old 02-04-2014, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
The dealer/MB protocol - clean and dry-lube the door seal which may be the cause of the problem - then if that doesn't take care of it put GL in Collision Center for door realignment and new door gasket.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:17 AM

2013 MB GL500
Hahaha.. AMG exhaust is certainly a valid solution; the Harmon Kardon doesn't do a bad job at eliminating the issue when alone but when I have company, they become apparent and the passengers do a great job rubbing it as unacceptable on a new Merc haha.

Seems the lube, alignment, gasket replacement option is an involving process. Sounds like a recipe for accelerating rattles down the road.. In thinking of just experimenting on my own with felt tape on the door surround over the window.. I'm just worried it will effect the soft close system or develop air leaks...

It won't kill me if I just live with them but id be a lot happier if they're taken care of that's all..

I'll take it up with Mercedes on Saturday to see what they'd propose and report back with the outcome.. If they suggest sending it to the collision center, I may just overlook the fix and live with it
Old 02-05-2014, 12:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
i have some seat creaking and flex creaks, although i tend to think it's not chassis flex but the door seals because it comes and goes and some days louder than others. i think it's louder too when the car is totally cold and i'm driving the kids to school first thing in the A.M.. pretty much any turn and body roll, you can hear the creaks from seat and doors.

i should add that i can only hear this if i have the radio down or off. when i drive alone usually the music is at a medium volume and i can't hear anything from the car itself.

i agree it's annoying and shouldn't be present in a 90k car, but i guess i don't really notice it that often and it is also several times less noticeable than it was in my X164 so i think it's an "improvement" but you're right - they should really lube and/or seal it up better for the $$$ it costs.

p.s. sometimes i hear some popping noises from the seat back and i think that has to do with the massage bags/rollers. this is far less frequent but there is something "in there" that didn't exist when i had normal seats in the X164, so some noise is to be expected.

keep in mind these observations are when i'm really listening for them. when you have two talking/laughing/screaming kids in the back, everything else usually just gets drowned out
Old 02-05-2014, 09:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MBs
my front lights have fogged up a couple times but apparently this is not a big deal- since it clears up almost immediately-
the creaking- yea i started the thread- my creaking seems to have stopped all by itself- not sure what it was- i could just be thats its soo cold- from the contraction maybe its just gone- lets see what happens once it warms up-- at this point, if it warms up any time soon.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:16 PM

2011 Ford F150 SVT Raptor and 2013 MB GL450
Coming from a 2013 GL450 owner. I have the same noise problem as well! Both the seat and door.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:18 AM

1987 560SL
any luck getting the squeaky doors fixed? Mine is back and worse than ever.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:38 AM

2013 MB GL500
Originally Posted by R107
any luck getting the squeaky doors fixed? Mine is back and worse than ever.
I was actually looking to update this thread today.. Funny you decided to ask :p.

I actually just got my first service done and told them about the rattles. I was fortunate enough to replicate every squeak, creak and rattle i've been getting in a short test drive with the service advisor.

3 main things (i'd recommend you guys to check out):-

- Door Creak (related to chassis flex)
- Passenger Headrest rattling against the rear DVD monitor (for those of you who have the option).
- Center Console!!! This is by far the worst, it seems to be made from cheap plastics, it squeaks, rattles, and squeaks all at once even when you're driving on the highway!!
- Wiring loom behind the Audio controls.

All four issues have been confirmed by the service tech. As 'fabbrisd1' suggested, the service tech advised the vehicle to be sent to the body shop for door alignment. The rest of the issues were looked at in the service dept.

Got the GL back, it feels more solid, the centre console is at least a 70% improvement and the doors don't creak as much. The rattle in the dash went away for the first day and then came back again. Passenger headrest rattle has completely been eliminated.

I'm still not quite satisfied. I drove a friend's 2013 Toyota LandCruiser yesterday and realised i almost forgot how solid those trucks are compared to the GL. Not acceptable IMO.

I really love the GL and am enjoying quite a bit but have seriously started considering trading it in on a Porsche Cayenne Turbo, or a Land Cruiser before it drastically drops in resale. I'm genuinely bothered by the rattles!
Old 04-28-2014, 02:43 AM

GL
Originally Posted by BiTurboV8
I was actually looking to update this thread today.. Funny you decided to ask :p.

I actually just got my first service done and told them about the rattles. I was fortunate enough to replicate every squeak, creak and rattle i've been getting in a short test drive with the service advisor.

3 main things (i'd recommend you guys to check out):-

- Door Creak (related to chassis flex)
- Passenger Headrest rattling against the rear DVD monitor (for those of you who have the option).
- Center Console!!! This is by far the worst, it seems to be made from cheap plastics, it squeaks, rattles, and squeaks all at once even when you're driving on the highway!!
- Wiring loom behind the Audio controls.

All four issues have been confirmed by the service tech. As 'fabbrisd1' suggested, the service tech advised the vehicle to be sent to the body shop for door alignment. The rest of the issues were looked at in the service dept.

Got the GL back, it feels more solid, the centre console is at least a 70% improvement and the doors don't creak as much. The rattle in the dash went away for the first day and then came back again. Passenger headrest rattle has completely been eliminated.

I'm still not quite satisfied. I drove a friend's 2013 Toyota LandCruiser yesterday and realised i almost forgot how solid those trucks are compared to the GL. Not acceptable IMO.

I really love the GL and am enjoying quite a bit but have seriously started considering trading it in on a Porsche Cayenne Turbo, or a Land Cruiser before it drastically drops in resale. I'm genuinely bothered by the rattles!
The cabin is as quiet as a library in ours. You can hear the seat fans (they're too loud and don't do enough) and third row passengers delight in hearing the exhaust.
I also have a current model Porsche 911 -- its cabin rattles, vibrates, creaks and vibrates like a 200,000 mile Chevy. Just atrocious. I've had the Cayenne and it was a solidly built car, just like the Benz, but the materials quality was lacking. The Cayenne is more the size of the ML and a more enjoyable car to drive energetically than the ML, but never with the distance covering comfort and composure of the GL.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
I am living with the "door creak" thing…… I really don't want to have them try to "realign" the door…..just too much take apart and put back kind of stuff loosens up other things! As I attempted to track down the "creak" , I rolled along a quiet residential street, could hear the creak ….to confirm it was related to the drivers door, I slightly opened the door while moving slowly along……creak gone! So it's definitely the door/body relationship, but I think I will just let it creak!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL550
Originally Posted by ymmv
The cabin is as quiet as a library in ours. You can hear the seat fans (they're too loud and don't do enough) and third row passengers delight in hearing the exhaust.
I also have a current model Porsche 911 -- its cabin rattles, vibrates, creaks and vibrates like a 200,000 mile Chevy. Just atrocious. I've had the Cayenne and it was a solidly built car, just like the Benz, but the materials quality was lacking. The Cayenne is more the size of the ML and a more enjoyable car to drive energetically than the ML, but never with the distance covering comfort and composure of the GL.
We should do a poll for - what's your other car?

My 911 doesn't rattle at all, but the GL definitely is quieter!

Our GL does creak when the vehicle is substantially flexed but doesn't bother us too much.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:28 PM

2013 MB GL500
I learnt to accept the door creak, what kills me is the centre console creaks and rattles which have substantially decreased since the workshop did whatever they did.

YMMV:- I am surprised you say your 911 rattles, Porsches are generally very solid and utilise high quality materials in their builds.

My only problem with the Cayenne is that i'm not too fond of it's styling.

This is my other half
Attached Thumbnails Creaking from chassis flex...-img-20140316-wa001.jpg   Creaking from chassis flex...-img-20140316-wa002.jpg   Creaking from chassis flex...-img-20140317-wa005.jpg  
Old 04-28-2014, 02:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
do any of you have the seat creak? like it feels like when you are making a turn (regular speed, not speed demon), the body roll and your body in the drivers seat makes the seat lean and there is creaking from underneath the seat where it's bolted into the floor.

i find that more noticeable and annoying than the door/chassis flex creak.

i am due for my annual service in a few weeks and will be bringing these up to them, but i agree w/ blittle that i would like to avoid any real "body work". new door seals or lubricant or whatever would be fine, but i would prefer to keep it out of the body shop.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:54 PM

1987 560SL
mine is in the shop right now... ill let you know the outcome.

interestingly, i have a 2013 GLK loaner that is dead silent.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
My GL63 cabin is VERY quiet (almost too isolated) except for the AMG exhaust and B&O stereo. I'm not sure about the 550's but, the GL front side windows are double pained which really quiets the wind noise.

My 991 Turbo Cab is also quite creaky. MUCH more than my 991 4S Cab. I'm noticing a lot more cowl shake than 4S too.

Originally Posted by ymmv
Old 04-29-2014, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carrera S;
Funny you should say almost too quiet. Our GL550 is almost two months old-love it, but again almost too quiet or isolated-of course you can't have it both ways-one of the selling points was it is as quiet as a RR.

I really wanted the 63, but NE winters require a more flexible 4matic. Also, the 550 has the insulated glass-same as 63.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
check my post on "creaking fixed"
Old 04-30-2014, 11:06 AM

2014 GL550, 2007 Audi A6, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Originally Posted by mist68
Funny you should say almost too quiet. Our GL550 is almost two months old-love it, but again almost too quiet or isolated-of course you can't have it both ways-one of the selling points was it is as quiet as a RR.
We got our 550 two weeks ago. It has shocked me that I can stand right out side and try to talk to my wife, but she can't hear me. As she is pulling out of the garage, if I want to remind her to pick up something she has to roll down the window.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:23 PM

GL 350
Originally Posted by Dalema
We should do a poll for - what's your other car?

My 911 doesn't rattle at all, but the GL definitely is quieter!

Our GL does creak when the vehicle is substantially flexed but doesn't bother us too much.
My 991 is a bank vault. Only annoying noise (aside from the speaker rattle in the door at high volumes) is that the sunroof when fully open creaks over some bumps. The solution is to close it just a bit. Service has made multiple attempts to quiet it, but they haven't replaced the mechanism/cassette. Also there is a plastic cover over the wiper motors, battery and master cylinder in the front boot. If its not properly installed (or reinstalled after service) it can cause some odd noises in the cabin. The 911 is amazing.

Our 14' E350 cab is a dream. No noises and a wonderful ride. No issues at all.

Our 13' GL has way too much body flex to be "quiet". There are creaks with the door seals etc.. Its tough to have a quiet large vehicle. Think of how small the interior of a regular sedan is with a separate trunk. As for the GL, I thought torsional stiffness is always - always improved on a redesign? The X164 GL we had felt torsionally stiffer if only by a bit. Perhaps the Pano roof in the newer GL doesn't help...? Also the windows are double pane on the 450.

DRP

Last edited by 560SEL; 09-29-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by drpesq
...Perhaps the Pano roof in the newer GL doesn't help...? Also the windows are double pane on the 450.

DRP
I've rented two 2013 GL450's from Hertz in the past couple years. Neither had the Pano roof and neither had any of the squeaks both of my X166's with the Pano roof have had. My 550 didn't develop the squeaks for a couple of months. Apparently, whatever they had on the door seals has worn off. My 450 door seals squeaked from day one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Creaking from chassis flex...