GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Rear seat entertainment system - safety issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali, 1993 Lotus Esprit
Rear seat entertainment system - safety issue?

We're just about to place an order for a 2014 GL450. I'm having some heartburn over whether to order the rear seat entertainment system. 2 issues:

1. I feel that having the video screens on the front seatbacks is a safety issue for the 2nd-row occupants. In the event of an accident, it seems possible, even likely, that the 2nd-row occupants could hit their heads on the screens. We currently have a 2007 GMC Yukon XL (my car) and a 2008 Honda Odyssey (my wife's car). The Odyssey will be traded in for the GL. Both have the rear-seat entertainment system with a single screen on the roof of the car. This seems like a much safer solution to me (although it does partially block the view in the rear-view mirror--so that's an annoyance but less of a safety issue.)

2. DVDs are a dying media. My kids (4 of them, ages 11-15) have iPads and I'm pretty knowledgeable about how to load them up with movies--either directly on their iPads or via something like the Seagate Wireless Plus device (a WiFi-enabled hard drive that allows you to stream movies.) Our rule in the current cars is that the DVD system is only used for trips longer than an hour, so they don't get much use (perhaps 10 days a year for each car--mostly for trips to distant basketball, soccer, cheerleading and lacrosse tournaments, and also for a vacation or 2), but they are a godsend on long trips. So while we do use the built-in RSE systems in our cars currently, my prediction is that this will be less likely over time, especially if we are motivated to come up with an alternative (i.e., iPads.)

The 1st issue is the main cause of my angst--the 2nd issue is just another rock on the pile. I've noticed that Volvo also puts the rear-seat entertainment system on the front seat headrests, but it is more recessed in the headrest, so at least there are no sharp edges to hit (but of course still a hard surface). I think Volvo and M-B are 2 of the most advanced manufacturers in terms of safety, so if they have taken this approach, perhaps I shouldn't be so concerned.

Anyone else have this concern or am I being unreasonable?

Thanks. -- Jerry
Old 03-05-2014, 06:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
My customers that order rear DVD system fall into two categories:

1) Parents who order rear DVD as a "threat"/"punishment" - ex. if you guys/gals don't straighten up your moother and I will take your iPads/game systems away and you will HAVE TO watch a movie together

2) Parents/grandparents who have children/grandchildren 2-4 where they want to be able to play content and control from front COMAND system

Frankly, with iPads at $600 let's say, and MB mounts with 2yr MB accessory warranty at $250.. there is a lot to be said now that multiple children want to be doing multiple things..
Old 03-05-2014, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
I will make it easy for you, dont do it, buy a pair of Ipad Airs.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:44 PM

Thanks, fabbrisd1 and cookstar. Appreciate your input.

I don't think we're too interested in the M-B iPad mounts, since they would have a similar issue with being a large hard object in the trajectory of a head. I might be more inclined to go with something like that if they were removable, so at least they wouldn't be a safety concern during the non-long-trip uses of the car (which is 90+% of the time.) It appears that there are several good options for removable iPad mounts if we want to do that.

I'm leaning toward not ordering the RSE system at this point. Might spring for the pre-wire in case we regret the decision and want to reverse it.

-- Jerry
Old 03-05-2014, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
The MB mounts are a bit pricey - the non-powered removable version is like $250 - but at least "covered" by the MB 2yr accessory warranty - alternate is GripMount in my opinion.

The "pre-wiring" will allow connection of factory-equivalent front head unit connected rear entertainment system - parts/components for that alone are $2800 plus labor. The $2000 +/- MB accessory covered does not use pre-wire/actually should not have pre-wire.

iPads/androis are the future - especially since for over 5yrs old headphones are now the "much preferred" listening method.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:20 AM

GL
I agree with the safety aspect. I'm somewhat surprised there isn't already some intrusive DOT regulation requiring airbags there somewhere. And of course, the price is absurd these days; as others have noted, well, I went with Google Nexus 10, but the iPad Air is still a lot cheaper and useful 24x7.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
I, on the other hand have it on our 2014, we also had the RSE on the 2011 and are very happy with the setup. You do have the options for each child to watch their own movie and not have any issues. To note, our kids are now 4 and 6 so having ipads readily avaiable(which we do have) are not to keen on doing,. I feel we have more control over the content of DVD movies this way, secondly, we dont have the issue of the kids getting bored with the movie and asking to get the ipad fired up to play games. As far as safety issues, I dont recall how many airbags the 2014 GL has, but I dont think the TV's are a concern, they are high enough and far enough from the children that it is not of any concern. But, this is only our opinion, as I know many of you have opted to not have this feature included in your builds. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:35 PM

GL
Originally Posted by 1st amg
I, on the other hand have it on our 2014, we also had the RSE on the 2011 and are very happy with the setup. You do have the options for each child to watch their own movie and not have any issues. To note, our kids are now 4 and 6 so having ipads readily avaiable(which we do have) are not to keen on doing,. I feel we have more control over the content of DVD movies this way, secondly, we dont have the issue of the kids getting bored with the movie and asking to get the ipad fired up to play games. As far as safety issues, I dont recall how many airbags the 2014 GL has, but I dont think the TV's are a concern, they are high enough and far enough from the children that it is not of any concern. But, this is only our opinion, as I know many of you have opted to not have this feature included in your builds. Good luck.
I think 4 and 6 is a bit young. Then again, I dunno, times, they are a changing. Kids are getting younger every day, or older, so to speak. Our 8 year-old has been iPad savvy since the original iPad and was an avid iPhone video junkie since the first iPhone (only educational stuff, no mindless videos, no time-wasting games, only brain-games and challenges like word and math quiz games ... which ironically are also the free games ...)

The big warning is that iPads do not have parental controls -- they're better off with a MacBook and a browser, which can be customized. The Google browser, Chrome, also has a "supervised user" setup, which is great. You can see what they're getting, what they're trying to get and then review a weekly usage report to keep hands-on, without being too time-demanding. It's one of those things where they need to learn to find their own boundaries and develop good judgement (yes, even a six year-old can exhibit good judgement ... our 13 year-old ... not so much ... : )

The other thing to note: whatever a child of any age encounters on the Internet, through a child-safe browser, is plain vanilla compared to what they experience in the schoolyard (including junk food, learned language and other bad habits.)

The app I'm looking for is something that connects children through their iPad in the back seats, to their parents in the front seats to create interactive play time while traveling. We do that today with some sites not quite designed for the task (quizlet, easydefine, scrabble) but they're kind of boring compared to the more interactive sites (lumosity) with scores and competition and progress.

The best lesson I think I've learned is to not "halo" the iPad as some great reward or special privilege -- it's a tool (eg. education) and a useful device or resource, and a source of enriching entertainment. The earlier the kids learn to disdain idle time and eschew euphemisms like "relaxation" really meaning sloth instead of relaxation meaning free time to do anything exception nothing, the better.

What's all this got to do with the GL? About as much as anything ... : )
Old 03-08-2014, 09:42 AM

2011 GL450 P2, Appearance Pkg, Leather. 2012 C250, P1, Sport, AMG Wheels, Panorama Sunroof.
Don't waste your money on the RSE. I have it and I cant remember the last time that my kids used them. Ipads are the way to go.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:23 AM
OBP

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Lexus SC430, CLS550 4matic, GLK350 4matic, Volvo XC90 T8, E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by jerryp
We're just about to place an order for a 2014 GL450. I'm having some heartburn over whether to order the rear seat entertainment system. 2 issues:

1. I feel that having the video screens on the front seatbacks is a safety issue for the 2nd-row occupants. In the event of an accident, it seems possible, even likely, that the 2nd-row occupants could hit their heads on the screens. We currently have a 2007 GMC Yukon XL (my car) and a 2008 Honda Odyssey (my wife's car). The Odyssey will be traded in for the GL. Both have the rear-seat entertainment system with a single screen on the roof of the car. This seems like a much safer solution to me (although it does partially block the view in the rear-view mirror--so that's an annoyance but less of a safety issue.)

I have a 4 yr old and a newborn. I specially specced my 2014 CLS 550 so that I would be able to fit an OEM twin screen DVD system behind my front headrests. Yes the screens are closer to my 4 yr old kid's face than the headrest but his seatbelt and car seat combo is supposed to prevent him from being thrown around in the event of a collision anyway. I think GL owners should have even less concern than me since the interior of the CLS is a lot more compact than in a GL.

I like controlling what my 4 yr old gets to see and have been able to provide pretty educational DVDs for him even on moderate length trips ( language skills, science etc.). I'd prefer not to let him mess around with his own Ipad/ tablet for as long as possible because all he would do is watch Thomas the Train.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Ms CLS is entirely correct... that's what 2nd row restraint systems do..
Old 03-09-2014, 08:04 AM
OBP

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Lexus SC430, CLS550 4matic, GLK350 4matic, Volvo XC90 T8, E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Ms CLS is entirely correct... that's what 2nd row restraint systems do..

Thanks Fabbrisd1. It is Mr, not Ms though but no offense meant I'm sure and no offense taken.

BTW like jerryp, our first experience with in car DVD systems was a roof dropdown DVD system in a Honda product - our 2010 MDX. We liked it so much that unless we get a coupe again for some reason, all our cars will have DVD systems as long as the kids can benefit from them.

Which is one reason why I am lurking on this part of MBWorld - learning about the GL while I can in case we decide to replace the MDX a few years out.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:44 PM

2015 GL550, 2019 GLC350e
I actually paid to add the RSE post delivery. Coming out of a 2011 Sienna, the kids were already used to having this luxury. I'm not (too) concern about the kids hitting the screen because I don't imagine there would be so much travel in the seat belt during an accident that they would hit the screen (even though I think it's plastic). As a matter of fact, doesn't MB has a pre-tension safety belt system built in to prevent too much travel?

Yes - the kids also have iPads they can use but I don't like the fact they are looking down for so many hours.

Besides being able to play from two different source (front - COMMAND) and the RSE DVD player, there are also RCA inputs. I can use one iPad (connect to Netflix) and play it through the monitors. And no, not every iPad in the house have a data plan, only mines.

The RSE fits pretty well around the front headrest and doesn't protrude that far out.

I programmed two additional headphones so now all passengers can watch and listen to the same movie or same two movies.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
jerryp - my views with respect to the frequency of use of any media in the car is the same as yours. our boys are soon to be 4 and 6 and we don't want to have permanent DVDs or semi-permanent media mounts in the car. i have friends who have very young kids already addicted to watching something in the car, even for 10 minute rides. i am not that concerned about safety since they are in car seats with 5 -point harnesses and will be for many more years.

that said, we don't take a lot of road trips, but i am anticipating one soon. so i started looking for a solution that (1) looks acceptable, (2) is not permanent or a hassle to put on and take off and (3) maintains a decent distance from their faces and decent height from feet-kicking. as you know, the headrest poles are angled 90* and the lower portion angles out towards the seat back. so any mount that adds inches to the headrest pole was not ideal for both height and distance (and also would get bumped every time the kids got in/out of the car).

i found this very inexpensive solution that actually looks and works great:

here are some photos:

here is our GL550, with no RSE:

here is one of our iPad 4's, with a clear back slim case:

this is the supplied Jelly case - you can see it's very slim and not ugly:

here is the back of the jelly case w/ large sewn-in velcro patch:

this is the simple elastic band that goes around the headrest:

3/4 view of the band installed (it is secured with commercial strength velcro):

straight view of band installed:

front of headrest adds absolutely no thickness and feels like nothing is there:

iPad attached to the headrest:

movie playing on the iPad:

see that no depth was wasted - it's the furthest point possible from their faces:
Old 03-11-2014, 12:51 AM

sorry, i forgot to include the product link:

http://www.amazon.com/TFY-Headrest-Holder-Fast-Attach-Fast-Release-Edition/dp/B00CYBLE2G/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t http://www.amazon.com/TFY-Headrest-Holder-Fast-Attach-Fast-Release-Edition/dp/B00CYBLE2G/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

i also forgot to add that we got a free second strap as part of a promo that they still have going on. so for the second iPad, all we needed to order was another jelly case. so the total cost for two iPads was 21.99 + 12.99.

the tricky part is that there is no synchronization of movie playing between iPads, so if you want to play the same movie on both, the iPads must both have that content and you have to start them simultaneously. a small annoyance until Apple figures out a way to link up 2 iPads.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:07 PM

Thanks to all for your input. At this point, I'm about 90% sure we won't be ordering the RSE system. The safety concerns remain--my kids (11-15 years old) are fairly tall (oldest is 5' 10" and the others are on the same growth path.) If you've seen a crash test video, even belted-in passengers have their heads and arms thrown forward violently in a frontal crash, so I'd much rather there be something less solid in front of them. I'd be less concerned about this if my kids were younger, smaller or strapped into car seats.

If we used the RSE constantly, the risk-reward equation would be different, but given our fairly infrequent use of RSE, I don't think it's worth sacrificing safety full-time for something that gets used <10% of the time we are in the car. We generally use the Yukon on trips anyway--lots more luggage capacity.

We'll be going with iPads, which we already have, and some sort of mount that can be easily installed/removed for long trips. I like wamochi's setup, although I wonder if glare might be an issue--we'll be getting the panorama sunroof so it might be helpful to be able to angle the screens down a bit. Thank you for taking the time to post those photos.

-- Jerry
Old 03-12-2014, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GL350BT
Hmmm, I hate the screen that drops down from the middle of the overhead. That blocks your rear view which is definitely a safety concern of mine, more so than the passengers planting their faces into the screens on the rear side of the front seats.

Then try watching a movie with your head tilted 30 degs to one angle, definitel neck hazard there.

Then even worse you'll have to put up with two kids arguing over which movie they are going to watch because they only have one screen. Then when you lose your cool to turn back to shut them up and suffer an accident!

I thought this one through.

RSE: $2000
Latest DVD: $.099 at your nearest Redbox
The kids sitting speechless for 90 minutes: Priceless!
Old 04-12-2014, 07:58 PM

2014 GL450
Originally Posted by wamochi
sorry, i forgot to include the product link:

http://www.amazon.com/TFY-Headrest-H...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

i also forgot to add that we got a free second strap as part of a promo that they still have going on. so for the second iPad, all we needed to order was another jelly case. so the total cost for two iPads was 21.99 + 12.99.

the tricky part is that there is no synchronization of movie playing between iPads, so if you want to play the same movie on both, the iPads must both have that content and you have to start them simultaneously. a small annoyance until Apple figures out a way to link up 2 iPads.

Thanks for the tip on the Velcro TFY mount. Perfect (and inexpensive) solution! Easy to install, low-profile and seems like the safest way to go.

I was concerned about the safety factor and also hated the way the MB options looked when the Ipad was removed. The Velcro system has been great so far!
Old 04-16-2014, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by mhj202
Thanks for the tip on the Velcro TFY mount. Perfect (and inexpensive) solution! Easy to install, low-profile and seems like the safest way to go.

I was concerned about the safety factor and also hated the way the MB options looked when the Ipad was removed. The Velcro system has been great so far!
you're welcome! glad it's working out. we are taking a longer 6 hr road trip soon and will see how the dual iPads work running the same movie ...
Old 08-26-2014, 06:02 PM

Don't have one
I wouldn't put the Velcro system on the head rest as it will interfere with NECK PRO on an eventual rear collision. This could even cause a flying Ipad in the crash.
But again, this are just my thoughts...