GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

GL550 front lighting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carrera S;
GL550 front lighting

Just took delivery of 2014 GL550 and have question re front lighting.

I have seen a number of 2013-14 GL's during daylight with both the DRL LEDs and the amber "eyebrows" on. I believe it is a great look, but cannot seem to replicate. With light switch in "auto" during daytime, only the DRL LEDs are on. If I put on the parking lights (amber eyebrows) the DRLs go out.

Any suggestions?

Maybe our "go to" guy fabbrisd1 can offer some wisdom.

Thanks
Old 03-30-2014, 07:56 AM

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
The amber eyebrows are turn signals, so I'm not sure why anyone would want them on all the time.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carrera S;
Not correct-the turn signals are the amber LEDs just below the amber eyebrows.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
mine behaves like jbattan - the amber eyebrows are turn signals and are on at night when the lights come on. during the day i only get the white LED DRL strips.

for the non-lighting package GL's, the amber eyebrows are smaller and lower on the headlight and there is separate amber turnsignal below that (i.e., the amber eyebrow on the non-lighting GL is not a turn signal)

AFAIK , the 550 comes standard with lighting package, so i'm not sure where you might have seen ones with the eyebrow AND a separate turn marker. they are one in the same on the 550.

i am sure there is a way to enable them full time with OBD settings. i used to have an Audi with orange turn markers on full time at night and i disabled those so that they'd only come on while the turn signal was activated. i liked the cleaner look of Bi Xenons with no yellow markers.

but i agree the 550 eyebrows look really nice - makes the lighting package worth the money IMHO. during the day however i think the white DRL strips are plenty to look at
Old 08-20-2018, 11:16 AM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2013 GL450
Hi Wamochi ... thanks for the clarification: I have a 2013 GL450 and my front turn signals are halogen bulbs (not the LED on the back of the rear mirrors) ... I have not been able to get access to those bulbs without having to remove the entire headlamp unit ... am I missing something? any insights on how to get access to these bulbs? Thanks

Originally Posted by wamochi
mine behaves like jbattan - the amber eyebrows are turn signals and are on at night when the lights come on. during the day i only get the white LED DRL strips.

for the non-lighting package GL's, the amber eyebrows are smaller and lower on the headlight and there is separate amber turnsignal below that (i.e., the amber eyebrow on the non-lighting GL is not a turn signal)

AFAIK , the 550 comes standard with lighting package, so i'm not sure where you might have seen ones with the eyebrow AND a separate turn marker. they are one in the same on the 550.

i am sure there is a way to enable them full time with OBD settings. i used to have an Audi with orange turn markers on full time at night and i disabled those so that they'd only come on while the turn signal was activated. i liked the cleaner look of Bi Xenons with no yellow markers.

but i agree the 550 eyebrows look really nice - makes the lighting package worth the money IMHO. during the day however i think the white DRL strips are plenty to look at
Old 08-21-2018, 01:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Error

Last edited by NewCents05; 08-21-2018 at 01:52 AM.