GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

New 15 Order - Lane Tracking Package Needed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'15 GL 450, '13 BMW 328i Touring, '09 BMW 335i
New 15 Order - Lane Tracking Package Needed?

Hi All. As many have said, thank you to all of the contributors on this forum. This has been a huge help to me in helping me research GL's.

So, yesterday I closed the deal on an order for a new 2015 GL 450. It has:
  • Black exterior
  • Black MB Tex interior (2 kids and a dog)
  • Eucalyptus Trim (wife did not like anthracite)
  • Lighting Package
  • Appearance Package
  • 3-Zone Climate
  • Parking Assist
  • Premium 1
  • Multi-contour seats (we are not big people - wanted side bolsters)
  • Pano sunroof
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Trailer Hitch
  • Harman Kardon
  • Rear Seat Entertainment
  • Heated 2nd row seats
  • SPC Wrapped MB Tex Dash
  • SPC Black Headliner
  • SPC Rear Side Airbags
I was really excited to get (in writing) a signed build sheet for $1500 over invoice. Now, the wait begins. Special order puts my build into the 1st week of November (from 1st week of October).

I have a little time to change my configuration. In the last day, I decided to horse-trade the Lane Tracking Package for Multi-contour seats to give us side bolstering and a little more back stimulation on our semi-regular 8-hour drives. I could have also given up the lighting package, but just didn't want to

At some point, I had to draw the line because I am sure that Driver Assistance and ADS are also really helpful, but then I would be in 550 territory and had to quit the additions.

So, can anyone out there talk me back into the need for Lane Tracking package? Any huge blind spots (that I didn't notice in my 4 10-minute test drives) that absolutely require this feature? Will I regret not having it (except for an accident)?

Any other thoughts on this build? Thank you again for your contributions to this forum!
Old 08-17-2014, 09:35 AM

Received 320 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
I have to admit --I was skeptical-- but I am really happy that we got the Lane Tracking package. The blind spot warning is actually very useful, IMHO, with the large vehicle and limited rear visibility with the 2nd and 3rd row headrests extended. One can adjust the side mirrors to compensate, but the blind spot warning really helps---or at least adds an additional level of situational awareness.

Awesome build!

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 08-17-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by German Car Guy
Hi All. As many have said, thank you to all of the contributors on this forum. This has been a huge help to me in helping me research GL's.

So, yesterday I closed the deal on an order for a new 2015 GL 450. It has:
  • Black exterior
  • Black MB Tex interior (2 kids and a dog)
  • Eucalyptus Trim (wife did not like anthracite)
  • Lighting Package
  • Appearance Package
  • 3-Zone Climate
  • Parking Assist
  • Premium 1
  • Multi-contour seats (we are not big people - wanted side bolsters)
  • Pano sunroof
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Trailer Hitch
  • Harman Kardon
  • Rear Seat Entertainment
  • Heated 2nd row seats
  • SPC Wrapped MB Tex Dash
  • SPC Black Headliner
  • SPC Rear Side Airbags
I was really excited to get (in writing) a signed build sheet for $1500 over invoice. Now, the wait begins. Special order puts my build into the 1st week of November (from 1st week of October).

I have a little time to change my configuration. In the last day, I decided to horse-trade the Lane Tracking Package for Multi-contour seats to give us side bolstering and a little more back stimulation on our semi-regular 8-hour drives. I could have also given up the lighting package, but just didn't want to

At some point, I had to draw the line because I am sure that Driver Assistance and ADS are also really helpful, but then I would be in 550 territory and had to quit the additions.

So, can anyone out there talk me back into the need for Lane Tracking package? Any huge blind spots (that I didn't notice in my 4 10-minute test drives) that absolutely require this feature? Will I regret not having it (except for an accident)?

Any other thoughts on this build? Thank you again for your contributions to this forum!

Afer over a year with the lane tracking package...... 1. the blind spot warning is wonderful and I would not want to be without it 2. the actual active lane tracking feature was cool to play with and watch it work....but after a while it becomes annoying....there are times when you will intentionally drift a bit but its not going to let you and the activation of the "rumble" and the intervention of the braking system becomes bothersome and puts a heavier wear factor on the brakes...yes you can override the intervention, but it becomes a hassle....particularly traveling on a rural two lane and you go to move over to the left a bit to go around a guy on a bike......it doesn't like that! The multicontor seats are more important to me.....as is the lighting package.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by blittle
2. the actual active lane tracking feature was cool to play with and watch it work....but after a while it becomes annoying....there are times when you will intentionally drift a bit but its not going to let you and the activation of the "rumble" and the intervention of the braking system becomes bothersome and puts a heavier wear factor on the brakes...yes you can override the intervention, but it becomes a hassle....particularly traveling on a rural two lane and you go to move over to the left a bit to go around a guy on a bike......it doesn't like that!
Agree!! I think the active lane keeping can be down right dangerous. Twice I've had 18 wheelers drift out of their lane into mine as I was passing on the left. As I moved on to the yellow line just to give them a little space the the brakes jerked my GL back toward the semi. Not good! The blind spot radar should disable the active feature when it senses a vehicle beside you. I think this is a serious design flaw that needs to be fixed. I've notice that even if you have it set to the medium setting it still will jerk you back into your lane. I wish you could just have it vibrate the steering wheel like vehicles without the active feature..
Old 08-17-2014, 07:37 PM

15 GL550
BTW, your build looks great! The wrapped lower dash is probably the best option you can get for the money. Not only is the top of the door panel wrapped but the lower part under the door handle is wrapped as well. Only a small area by the speaker and the door pocket is not wrapped.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:12 PM

2017 Dodge Viper GTC, 2014 C63 AMG (gone), 2014 GL450
I don't think I would like the active system. But I am glad we have the passive version on ours. If the passive option is not available on the '15s then I might pass on it. I'd definitely think long about it. I just don't trust those active systems yet.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:41 AM

Received 320 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by PkB2014
I don't think I would like the active system. But I am glad we have the passive version on ours. If the passive option is not available on the '15s then I might pass on it. I'd definitely think long about it. I just don't trust those active systems yet.
This brings up an important, but subtle, point for those looking at the order guide.

There are TWO packages that include a version of "Lane Tracking" in the USA:
Driver Assistance Package
- DISTRONIC PLUS with PRE-SAFE® Brake
- PRE-SAFE Brake
- Active Blind Spot Assist
- Active Lane Keeping Assist
Lane Tracking Package
- Blind Spot Assist
- Lane Keeping Assist
Only the ACTIVE version utilizes the brakes to adjust the vehicle path.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:22 PM

'15 GL 450, '13 BMW 328i Touring, '09 BMW 335i
Thank you guys for your help. You talked me into it and I had not test driven wi the headrests in the extended position.

I finalized my configuration by adding the Lane Tracking Package (passive) and the heated windshield washer reservoir. Now, I have to stop looking at my build sheet so I don't add anymore.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
There is no way I could go without. It is very useful, especially for my wife who has two young kids she is driving with and they can be distracting, so these driver aids are a plus.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:49 AM

15 GL550
I think the passive lane keeping assist is very useful and the active blind spot assist is very very useful. However, the scenario I described in my post above with the 18 wheeler will change your mind. It is down right scary to have your vehicle jerked toward a car drifting out of its lane. I haven't had what happened to blittle happen to me with a bike but I did have something similar happen when I attempted to avoid some pot holes on the right side of my lane. I drifted onto the double yellow line to avoid them and the active feature yanked the car back toward the pot holes. What about a pedestrian or jogger that you are trying to avoid? Where I live there is a law that says you must maintain a certain distance when passing a bicyclist. I can't Imagine what a cop would say if he saw my GL dart toward a pedestrian or cyclist.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I assume everyone knows that using your blinker disables the active and passive lane tracking assist. I've gotten used to using the blinker to signal others around me, and also to keep lane tracking from thinking I'm distracted.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:51 AM

15 GL550
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
I assume everyone knows that using your blinker disables the active and passive lane tracking assist. I've gotten used to using the blinker to signal others around me, and also to keep lane tracking from thinking I'm distracted.
I guess I don't trust myself to enough to know that I will think or be able to use my turn signal at the last second every time I try to avoid obstacles. Perhaps I should turn it back on to see if I could get used to doing that.

Having said all of this, I think the Driver Assistance Package is well worth it just for the active blind spot assist and Distronic Plus which works amazingly well. I would pay for the Package just to have Distronic Plus.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart

That is true Jim......