GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Squeaky steering wheel, slight vibration, misalignment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2014 | 09:48 AM

15 GL550
Squeaky steering wheel, slight vibration, misalignment

How's everyone going? I'm having a couple small issues and I'm wondering if they might be related.

I took my GL in for a vibration coming from the passenger front side of the vehicle (odo at 750 miles). The vibration was causing some rattling within the cabin. The service guy said that there were some balancing issues. There are now six weights on the passenger front wheel, three on the passenger rear, and two on each driver side wheel. I still notice slight vibrations on the passenger side that don't present themselves on the driver side. The overall vibration situation seems to have improved.

Around the same time I noticed a slight metallic squeak coming from the steering wheel. It only occurred when steering the wheel clockwise (right). It happens when the temperature outside is below 65F (we live in south Florida so it's not like it's really cold), and it definitely goes away when the temperature goes up. By the end of the day the sound is gone (it's usually hotter anyway).

Also, my steering wheel alignment is off to the right. I estimate the wheel to be off by several degrees.

Have any of you had similar issues?

Thank you

Last edited by CAMIV; 11-13-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-14-2014 | 12:41 PM

15 GL550
The GL is very sensitive to tire balance. Your tires just need to be properly balanced. If they can't balance your current set I would ask that they replace the tires. I wouldn't wait around to get this corrected because they will be less likely to replace the tires the more miles you put on them. I have been in several GLs and MLs and the steering wheel is off a couple of degrees as you describe. I believe it is intentional but not sure why. If the camber of the road drops on the right, the steering wheel will be almost perfect as you correct the wheel slightly to the left. Not sure what to make of your squeek, I would just ask that they address it at the dealership.