GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)
View Poll Results: GL550 or S550
GL550
76.47%
S550
23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

****GL550 or S550???? HELP ASAP!!!!!****

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GL550
****GL550 or S550???? HELP ASAP!!!!!****

Hello, I'm new to the site and to MB. I'm having trouble deciding on the 2015 S550 or the GL550.

S550: Super new technology, the most innovative I've seen on the streets - I LOVE IT! I would get white with black interior (leave the pink or purple mood lights on). This is a really nice car!!!

GL550: I always love SUV's more (had a RR Supercharged prior)! However, after driving the 2015 S550 the interior technology is night and day compared to the GL550. THAT is my only hesitation that the GL technology is extremely outdated in comparison to the S. I do love the space, can put groceries, baby stroller etc. in the trunk and leave the 3rd row down at all times, unless I ever need it. I put a deposit today since there are plenty of S550's but the white w/black interior GL550 there is only one.

Need help deciding big time!!! Which car do you like better? Would you go for a really nice, newest technology or would you go for space, practicality in the SUV but old technology? They are around the same price so that doesn't matter to me.

I will be stuck with it for 2-3 years!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 12-29-2014, 01:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AnnieCoco
Hello, I'm new to the site and to MB. I'm having trouble deciding on the 2015 S550 or the GL550.

S550: Super new technology, the most innovative I've seen on the streets - I LOVE IT! I would get white with black interior (leave the pink or purple mood lights on). This is a really nice car!!!

GL550: I always love SUV's more (had a RR Supercharged prior)! However, after driving the 2015 S550 the interior technology is night and day compared to the GL550. THAT is my only hesitation that the GL technology is extremely outdated in comparison to the S. I do love the space, can put groceries, baby stroller etc. in the trunk and leave the 3rd row down at all times, unless I ever need it. I put a deposit today since there are plenty of S550's but the white w/black interior GL550 there is only one.

Need help deciding big time!!! Which car do you like better? Would you go for a really nice, newest technology or would you go for space, practicality in the SUV but old technology? They are around the same price so that doesn't matter to me.

I will be stuck with it for 2-3 years!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!
I just came back from the dealership 10 minutes ago. Saw your post last night and I have finally come this conclusion.

When I was buying our '14 GL550, I had the same thoughts, and my wife said that the S550 was too low, too small, even though I was going gaga over the exterior looks that is imposes on people. But after driving the car for several months I realized that she was absolutely right.

Okay, so I went in for a service checkup and I sat in every type of car on the lot with particular focus on the S550 vs GL550.

The S550, does look good, no questions there. However, the tech part is superficial at best, nor is it's interior. When it first came out in MY 2014, the S class was very sexy, and unique. Dual screens, blah blah blah, fast forward today, and you look at the new C class, you see literally 80% the same styling if not identical setup inside. The classiness of the S class trickled down making the S class not so unique interior wise. Of course German workmanship cannot be compared to the American assembled C class but even the taillights of the C and many many of the design cues mirror the S class making it less appealing.

The GL550 however, isn't that much less tech behind. The presentation might seem to you a little bit "old" when you see the dash and nav and such, but its only been 3 years since that was debuted. It was a facelift from pre 2012 design but it works well. I particularly very much love the numpad on the car that I think the new S/C class design has omitted. I call 800 numbers or customer service lines and have to push dial tones to reach extensions all the time, and I hate to do that on the phone rather than on the center console. Also, the amount of praise I get from the GL550 is numerous. I have never gotten so many nods and accolades ranging from people who doesn't know much about cars to people who knows benz a lot. The mere presence of the size of a GL is enough to "intimidate", or project your presence like no other Benz. Size does matter (please no that's what she said joke here).

For me, cargo space is great. Oil prices have come down, and probably will stay down for years to come. My 3rd row is always down and the extension of that is better than ML and can fit a lot more cargo.

My only advice is get the Distronic plus package, and it is really a stress reliever if you know how to use it properly.

Hands down, GL550 for the needs that you described. Hope this helps you settle your decision.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:34 PM

2015 GL550
Originally Posted by jtse
I just came back from the dealership 10 minutes ago. Saw your post last night and I have finally come this conclusion.

When I was buying our '14 GL550, I had the same thoughts, and my wife said that the S550 was too low, too small, even though I was going gaga over the exterior looks that is imposes on people. But after driving the car for several months I realized that she was absolutely right.

Okay, so I went in for a service checkup and I sat in every type of car on the lot with particular focus on the S550 vs GL550.

The S550, does look good, no questions there. However, the tech part is superficial at best, nor is it's interior. When it first came out in MY 2014, the S class was very sexy, and unique. Dual screens, blah blah blah, fast forward today, and you look at the new C class, you see literally 80% the same styling if not identical setup inside. The classiness of the S class trickled down making the S class not so unique interior wise. Of course German workmanship cannot be compared to the American assembled C class but even the taillights of the C and many many of the design cues mirror the S class making it less appealing.

The GL550 however, isn't that much less tech behind. The presentation might seem to you a little bit "old" when you see the dash and nav and such, but its only been 3 years since that was debuted. It was a facelift from pre 2012 design but it works well. I particularly very much love the numpad on the car that I think the new S/C class design has omitted. I call 800 numbers or customer service lines and have to push dial tones to reach extensions all the time, and I hate to do that on the phone rather than on the center console. Also, the amount of praise I get from the GL550 is numerous. I have never gotten so many nods and accolades ranging from people who doesn't know much about cars to people who knows benz a lot. The mere presence of the size of a GL is enough to "intimidate", or project your presence like no other Benz. Size does matter (please no that's what she said joke here).

For me, cargo space is great. Oil prices have come down, and probably will stay down for years to come. My 3rd row is always down and the extension of that is better than ML and can fit a lot more cargo.

My only advice is get the Distronic plus package, and it is really a stress reliever if you know how to use it properly.

Hands down, GL550 for the needs that you described. Hope this helps you settle your decision.
Thank you so much for your input which is very helpful!!! I like being higher on the road, more space and the technology in the GL is outdated but good enough. There will always be something newer. I'll be changing my car again anyways in another 2-3 years. I'll stick to my instinct and get the GL550. I appreciate your help!
Old 12-30-2014, 01:06 AM

2015 GL550
I'm very excited!!! They just delivered my car and I'm so glad I went with the GL550! I love it and feel very secure in it!!!!
Old 12-30-2014, 01:33 AM

I'm very excited!!! They just delivered my car and I'm so glad I went with the GL550! I love it and feel very secure in it!!!!
You are most welcome!

I just jumped to the S Class forum and saw your similar posts and learned you are expecting.

I bought the GL550 because my 1st born son was coming and the extra cargo was a definite must.

Did you know that you have soft close doors just like the S class? The doors where you lightly close it will close and lock by itself? I didn't know that until a week after taking delivery, but it is an absolute lifesaver when your baby is asleep and you don't want to wake him up with the infamous Benz Door deep sound thump and pressure.

Last but not least, send us some pics of your beautiful new GL550, please!
Old 12-30-2014, 01:59 AM

2015 GL550
You are most welcome!

I just jumped to the S Class forum and saw your similar posts and learned you are expecting.

I bought the GL550 because my 1st born son was coming and the extra cargo was a definite must.

Did you know that you have soft close doors just like the S class? The doors where you lightly close it will close and lock by itself? I didn't know that until a week after taking delivery, but it is an absolute lifesaver when your baby is asleep and you don't want to wake him up with the infamous Benz Door deep sound thump and pressure.

Last but not least, send us some pics of your beautiful new GL550, please!
Thank you!!! I appreciate all your tips and will be a while before I learn all the bells & whistles it has to offer. This is my first baby on the way and my first MB so it's all very new & exciting! Feel free to let me know of any other tips as you think of it, very much appreciated. It's very late here now, so I'll try to take some pics for you tomorrow. Thanks again!
Old 12-30-2014, 10:26 PM

2015 GL550
Sorry, I'm new to this site so I didn't know how to post selecting specific forums. If you go back to my other thread, the pics are there since this site won't let me post them onto this thread. Thanks again and keep me posted on any tips you come across....
Old 12-31-2014, 12:48 PM

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
Sorry, I'm new to this site so I didn't know how to post selecting specific forums. If you go back to my other thread, the pics are there since this site won't let me post them onto this thread. Thanks again and keep me posted on any tips you come across....
This is bar none the best cargo tray out there if you ever want to use your 3rd row.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Mercedes-Benz-GL-Class-X164-Foldable-Cargo-Liner-/261519218687?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce3c297ff&vxp=mtr
I bought OEM floor mat, they are made by weathertech and cheaper!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Mercedes-Benz-GL-Class-X166-Black-All-Weather-Floor-Liners-/351103584919?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51bf678a97&vxp=mtr
for the 3rd row, I ordered the weathertech one to match.

It only says X164 (old model) because it doesn't stick to the X166 (new model). All you need to buy is GOOD velcro (velcro brand):
Amazon.com: Velcro Brand Industrial Strength Tape (2 Inches X 4 Feet) - Black: Office Products Amazon.com: Velcro Brand Industrial Strength Tape (2 Inches X 4 Feet) - Black: Office Products

4 feet is plenty.

Stick that to your carpet and then the liner will stay put.

I also bought this to cover up my hitch when not in use:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Mercedes-Benz-Decorative-Star-Marque-Hitch-Receiver-Plug-Cover-MBZ-/281048218301?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item416fc77abd&vxp=mtr
The only other comments:
1) I'm a big fan of getting winter tires/wheels if you see snow. I went with factory 21" size to keep the look of the car in the winter.
2) I couldn't figure out how to lock the car with my key in pocket - I kept pressing that small square. Then I realized I just hit it with the back of my hand, anywhere on the handle... To open, touch anywhere on the inside. I'm sure you already know all this but it was news to me.

Enjoy.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:29 PM

Wow, your car is literally identical to mine in looks, same color, except I don't have the rounded benz logo light because I have the distronic plus package.

Very good car for LA! Congrats!

I'll write more tips if I think of anymore.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:36 AM

2015 GL550
Originally Posted by Chedman13
This is bar none the best cargo tray out there if you ever want to use your 3rd row.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Mercedes-Benz-GL-Class-X164-Foldable-Cargo-Liner-/261519218687?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce3c297ff&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Mercedes-Benz-GL-Class-X166-Black-All-Weather-Floor-Liners-/351103584919?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51bf678a97&vxp=mtr

It only says X164 (old model) because it doesn't stick to the X166 (new model). All you need to buy is GOOD velcro (velcro brand):
Amazon.com: Velcro Brand Industrial Strength Tape (2 Inches X 4 Feet) - Black: Office Products Amazon.com: Velcro Brand Industrial Strength Tape (2 Inches X 4 Feet) - Black: Office Products

4 feet is plenty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Mercedes-Benz-Decorative-Star-Marque-Hitch-Receiver-Plug-Cover-MBZ-/281048218301?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item416fc77abd&vxp=mtr
The only other comments:
1) I'm a big fan of getting winter tires/wheels if you see snow. I went with factory 21" size to keep the look of the car in the winter.
2) I couldn't figure out how to lock the car with my key in pocket - I kept pressing that small square. Then I realized I just hit it with the back of my hand, anywhere on the handle... To open, touch anywhere on the inside. I'm sure you already know all this but it was news to me.

Enjoy.
Thanks for all the tips, I appreciate it!
Old 01-02-2015, 05:40 AM

2015 GL550
Wow, your car is literally identical to mine in looks, same color, except I don't have the rounded benz logo light because I have the distronic plus package.

Very good car for LA! Congrats!

I'll write more tips if I think of anymore.
We have good taste! It was quite difficult to find that color combo. For me didn't feel like distronic would be useful. I'm very happy with my purchase and love my new car!!! Thanks again and keep me posted on any tips.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:44 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 GLS 450 AMG Package 2024 GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by Chedman13
Genuine Mercedes Benz GL Class X164 Foldable Cargo Liner | eBay

Genuine Mercedes Benz GL Class X166 Black All Weather Floor Liners | eBay

Amazon.com: Velcro Brand Industrial Strength Tape (2 Inches X 4 Feet) - Black: Office Products

4 feet is plenty.

Genuine Mercedes Benz Decorative Star Marque Hitch Receiver Plug Cover MBZ | eBay

The only other comments:

Enjoy.
just ordered the foldable cargo liner. Can you please send pic of where you put the velcro. Thanks
Old 01-04-2015, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Good choice, in looking at the reactions from the S forum vs the GL forum it appears us GL owners are friendlier.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:02 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 GLS 450 AMG Package 2024 GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
Good choice, in looking at the reactions from the S forum vs the GL forum it appears us GL owners are friendlier.
yeah, I noticed that too. Some of those guys on the S forum are Rude!
Old 01-05-2015, 07:19 PM

2015 GL550
Thank you!!! I appreciate your help and your thoughts. Agreed! They are very rude! I only signed up to this site that day to get quick responses in hopes that it would help my decision making process last weekend. I move quick and I guess some of those people couldn't handle that and needed me to prove with pictures and still tried to convince themselves that I was another user from November, which makes absolutely no sense to me. It appears I'm not the only person who has come across this dilemma deciding between 2 of MB's biggest cars. I've been debating whether or not to reply to them but think it'll just be a waste of my energy on those people.

Thanks again for all your help and hope you have any amazing year. I know I will in my new car that I LOVE and with my 1st baby on the way...
Old 01-05-2015, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Congrats! Please consider using these forums to learn about your new ride as there is a lot to learn. Also I'm sure we'd all like to hear your impressions in a few months!
Old 01-05-2015, 11:13 PM

I deplore MBUSA for only offering the AMG body styling to 550 and 63 or else I would have gotten the 450 or even 350. US is a major home market, yet they offer the setup in Canada. I seriously think I should just buy a Canadian one and ship it to the states.