GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Moving on....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2015 | 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Yes. I'm having trouble understanding the huge price difference between a loaded E and a GL550. While the GL is about $5k more, there are much larger discounts available than the new E.

I'm also struggling with the better tech. From what I can tell it has HUD and remote start. After having HUDs on my BMWs I find it worthless since I wear polarized sunglasses. Remote start is nice, had it on my 4 Escalades.

But the GL has a massively better suspension, night and day actually. The GL is also substantially faster. You are also forced to deal with Que in the caddy.
Old 02-06-2015 | 03:48 PM

GL 450
Always enjoyed your posts and interested to hear about the 'Slade. As I posted I cross shopped, but at least back in Nov/Dec, Caddy's leasing terms were for crap and the dealership did not want to discount more than 2k. The residual was 51% and the money factor was horrible at around 5%. The sole reasons I went back to MB was due to a combination of their attractive lease terms and discounting vs. Caddy's horrible lease terms and refusal to budge.

I'm interested to hear anything you have to say about your Caddy experience as I suspect I'll have an even harder time going back to MB next lease cycle.
Old 02-06-2015 | 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by JoeMa
Brad, you mentioned that the MSRP for your Escalade was 89K. The base price of a GL550 is $89,950 ($94K with options). You mentioned the GL550 is 'large premium' to remain in a V8 but the Escalade is priced very similar to a GL550. So I'm curious why decided to go with an Escalade over a new GL550? I understand that going to V6 is not for you (or me)but a well equipped GL550 is 5K more than an Escalade. Were you having any issues with your GL450 that made you want to look elsewhere? Do you feel MB is falling behind? If so, what would you have them improve in the next full redesign? You never know, MB designers may read these message boards. Thanks.
Joe.... i used the MB site to spec out a 15 GL550 with the options that I had on my 2013 450 and the MSRP came to $101,600! The Escalade has virtually all those options and a few more including power, retractable steps ( running boards ) that are really very helpful to me and the wife and 2nd row cant. chairs that are comfortable and easy to fold away. The escalade comes with 4yrs of scheduled maint. included...dealer pays for all state inspections....I find the NAV and Infotainment stuff much easier to use on the Escalade....the CUE system, as they call it , works very much like an iPad....so its no big mystery to me...although there are plenty of folks on the Caddy forum that have it and DON"T like it. I love the LED lights front and back.....powerful illumination, and yes....certainly eye catching...maybe even a bit outlandish! The 15 550 would have been nice but really would not have looked any different or performed any different than the 13 450......the new escalade has the 8 speed tranny and a hefty 420hp V8 that backs down to 4 cylinders when it can.....all of that very smoothly.
I gambled when I bought the 2007 GL first yr model....never regretted it....this 15 "Slade" is their 4th gen and there it was on the lot, no ordering needed....another gamble...but enjoying so far!
Old 02-06-2015 | 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
Originally Posted by blittle
Joe.... i used the MB site to spec out a 15 GL550 with the options that I had on my 2013 450 and the MSRP came to $101,600! The Escalade has virtually all those options and a few more including power, retractable steps ( running boards ) that are really very helpful to me and the wife and 2nd row cant. chairs that are comfortable and easy to fold away. The escalade comes with 4yrs of scheduled maint. included...dealer pays for all state inspections....I find the NAV and Infotainment stuff much easier to use on the Escalade....the CUE system, as they call it , works very much like an iPad....so its no big mystery to me...although there are plenty of folks on the Caddy forum that have it and DON"T like it. I love the LED lights front and back.....powerful illumination, and yes....certainly eye catching...maybe even a bit outlandish! The 15 550 would have been nice but really would not have looked any different or performed any different than the 13 450......the new escalade has the 8 speed tranny and a hefty 420hp V8 that backs down to 4 cylinders when it can.....all of that very smoothly.
I gambled when I bought the 2007 GL first yr model....never regretted it....this 15 "Slade" is their 4th gen and there it was on the lot, no ordering needed....another gamble...but enjoying so far!
Thanks Brad, enjoy your new ride.
Old 02-07-2015 | 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Again....thanks to all...keep enjoying the ride, but don't hesitate to try something else if you feel the "urge!" If anyone wants commentary on the Escalade look for me over on the Escalade 2015+ section of the Caddy forum.... I'm there as Blit184. Signing off.......
Old 02-08-2015 | 06:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brad's made the move and will no doubt enjoy his Escalade, but I wonder when he'll be back in a GLS? It takes courage to change brands so I respect Brad for giving it a try.

That being said, moving from a GL to an Escalade just makes no sense to me. Let me explain. Growing up my dad and brother only bought Ford's. I worked for a Lincoln-Mercury dealer as a teenage and would prep the Town Cars and Continental's for the showroom. Deep in my brain I always viewed GM (Cadillac) as the enemy. So a Cadillac is probably the last brand I would ever consider. Bias pure and simple, but there it is. I use to look at Mercedes and BMW with some bias as well, thinking they were over-priced snob cars. Then one day I stopped by the local MB dealership and ask for a test drive of the GL. Now I own one and I get why so many love the brand. No doubt the same would be true of any other brand.
Old 02-08-2015 | 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
I am impressed with the new slade in the looks department . I also liked the interior, we rented one in Miami recently. Nice looks and good navigation withas a decent sound system. I was not impressed with the floaty feel the truck had on the highway. Very nerve wrecking and had my wife scowl at me numerous times as we came close a few times and taking others side mirrors with me. I certainly feel a lot more confident in the GL. it's one of those things, I really want to like and love the new slade, but the quality, though improved is not MB to me. I am very happy for you that you are venturing out, your slade is very impressive looking, and please come back and give us a one year update. I have a feeling you will feel that chasis along with the build quality will leave you feeling disappointed. Good luck
Old 02-11-2015 | 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car and Drivers ranking of Luxury SUV's. They ranked the Escalade 6th, the GL 1st.

Last edited by JoeMa; 02-11-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-12-2015 | 08:00 AM

--
Well it has been a great ride (literally ).... I helped found this forum back when the 07 GL came on the scene ....there are only a few left here from those days! Stayed with the GL through the 2011 MY and my current 2013.

....but as of today, I shift to a 2015 Escalade Premium.....I hope i am not making a big mistake, but my test drive was fantastic...the interior and amenities are way beyond my 450 and the 4WD is perhaps a bit more rigorous (ability to lock the rear diff ) which at times I need. Yes...the exterior looks a bit like it came from a Transformer movie! My Benz dealer has been the best i have ever worked with....the Caddy guys seem like they are up to the task, I was impressed with the process and what I observed....we will see. .....but there is no question, the new 2015 version of the Escalade is a powerful competitor....I would have to move to the 550 do come close.

Thank you to all who help make forums like this THE place to be if you truly want to be knowledgeable about the vehicles you own....I will check back here once in a while just to see how things are going AND to see what the reaction is when the cid-cycle refresh hits the market. Finally....if anyone in the vicinity of Pennsylvania is considering an MB purchase, I highly recommend MB of Lancaster.....over 47 years of car buying, probably 20 different dealerships.....the best of them all!! Take care...
Ty for all your insights on both vehicles.

I'm curious if you had any concerns about the Caddy being the first year model run? I've owned first year runs of Acura, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover and never really had any issue. But the vibration issue raised by many has me somewhat concerned.

All well with your vehicle?
Old 02-13-2015 | 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by eliontakis
Ty for all your insights on both vehicles.

I'm curious if you had any concerns about the Caddy being the first year model run? I've owned first year runs of Acura, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover and never really had any issue. But the vibration issue raised by many has me somewhat concerned.

All well with your vehicle?

First year runs are always a risk.... I had issues with my 2007 GL450...suspension and engine sensor issues. Others here on the forum at that time ...also had those issues and others. The new Escalade is fine so far....the only "right off the lot issue" is the Onstar system is dead and it is apparently a module issue that is affecting the entire GM line....modules are on backorder and it will be two or three weeks before I get it replaced...but other than that, I love the "roominess", the commanding view ( it sits considerably higher ...but the powered, retracting steps actually make it easier to get in and out ) and the fit and finish are beyond what I associate with an American made car.....so, other than the Onstar issue, all is well!
Old 02-13-2015 | 01:20 PM

GL450
Here's the pics.... looks like something out of the Presidential motorcade
Congrats and great looking truck. Are the Caddy dealers offering any discounts on these yet?
Old 02-13-2015 | 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hotgl450
Congrats and great looking truck. Are the Caddy dealers offering any discounts on these yet?

Yes....IF you let them know that you are IN THE KNOW with regard to "complaints" and "issues" and have done your research, etc. , etc. The key will be if they have one or two on the lot......and, of course, the ugly weather was in my favor....I got 4K off.
Old 02-13-2015 | 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by emilner
Yes. I'm having trouble understanding the huge price difference between a loaded E and a GL550. While the GL is about $5k more, there are much larger discounts available than the new E.

I'm also struggling with the better tech. From what I can tell it has HUD and remote start. After having HUDs on my BMWs I find it worthless since I wear polarized sunglasses. Remote start is nice, had it on my 4 Escalades.

But the GL has a massively better suspension, night and day actually. The GL is also substantially faster. You are also forced to deal with Que in the caddy.

Wellllll..... I happen to really like the HUD, have had it on my Corvette for many years and, yes, the polarized will wipe that out along with your nav screen, your iPad and everything of that sort....and, you have had 4 "Slades" so you are far more familiar than I, but....actually, I prefer the more "planted" feel of the "truck on frame suspension"....the GL is a beautiful car based suspension....the Escalade is truck based, but very comfortable and capable given that it IS a truck with a magnificent interior setup. And CUE is so much more simple to use than the MB system of "no touch!" (at least from my and the wife's perspective ) ..... all that being said, I fully realize that the overall German engineering is second to none! And....I do think that it is BECAUSE of the GL success that Caddy has made very significant improvements in the "luxury level" of the 2015 Escalade. My MB experience was perfect!!! I will never diss MB or my MB dealer.....but I am kind of happy, proud to be back in "American iron!"
Old 02-13-2015 | 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Don't see how you can really compare a body on frame truck to a unibody SUV. If you wanted more power, you could have done an ECU tune on your 450 to around 535 hp for a few grand. Good luck to you but I just can't comprehend going down to an Escalade after the GL. You will be back sooner rather than later.
Old 02-13-2015 | 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When I was in the market for a GL550, I visited a large dealer that had a used GL550 with 1200 miles. It was up on a rack being inspected when I arrived so I had an opportunity to look at the underside of the vehicle. I was very impressed with how neatly MB tucked everything away. The exhaust system was beautifully manufactured. And the extensive use of heat-shielding was impressive. The GL is very well built.
Old 02-13-2015 | 09:02 PM

2014 E550 Cabriolet, 2014 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Nice to see an American made SUV catches the eye of us German car lovers every now and then. People pile the miles on the Slades/Suburbans/Yukons, and they often have ridiculously high mileage on them very quickly. They work and people love them.

I've not purchased a GM car since my 1985 Pontiac Grand Prix- what a total piece of crap. Thirty years later, I do like the new CTS-V and new Corvette very much.

That being said, you'd have to pry my cold dead fingers off the steering wheel of our Cayenne Diesel. Outstanding in every way, but pack light.

Good luck with the new Caddy.
Old 02-13-2015 | 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JoeMa
When I was in the market for a GL550, I visited a large dealer that had a used GL550 with 1200 miles. It was up on a rack being inspected when I arrived so I had an opportunity to look at the underside of the vehicle. I was very impressed with how neatly MB tucked everything away. The exhaust system was beautifully manufactured. And the extensive use of heat-shielding was impressive. The GL is very well built.
Have to agree!
Old 02-13-2015 | 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BlownV8
Don't see how you can really compare a body on frame truck to a unibody SUV. If you wanted more power, you could have done an ECU tune on your 450 to around 535 hp for a few grand. Good luck to you but I just can't comprehend going down to an Escalade after the GL. You will be back sooner rather than later.
I drive 20k a year....into the mountains of Vermont ( once a month ) ...my 07, 11, and 13 GL's have been great , BUTTTTT.....my 94 and 2000 GMC trucks were more adapt at what I was doing ( just very "truckish") ....the 2015 Escalade provides the THAT experience with a level of comfort and luxury that was never there before.... I may be wrong, but will have to wait and see! A 535 hp GL is not what I need......plus...there was only one MB dealer in the entire state of VT.!! ...100 miles away from our property up there! Caddy.....32 miles away!

Last edited by blittle; 02-13-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-15-2015 | 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you need a truck, the Escalade may be the right vehicle for you.
Old 02-15-2015 | 01:44 PM

18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
I can see where coming from a GL450 that the driving difference between the two might not be so obvious... but the driving difference between at typical optioned 450 (not having all the driving dynamic option boxes ticked) and a 550 is night and day.

I just put a 100 miles on a brand new loner GL450..the car wallowed and definitely felt on the soft side of things..a very nice car but not a car that I would want to own driving around the MTN roads of VT.. a 550 comes with all the fancy suspension options and they definitely make a difference... the Caddy can't possibly compete against the GL550 in handling ..(experienced based on riding in the back of them being used as car service vehicles)

that being said... the new Caddy is very pretty, has a fabulous interior esthetically, and certainly has a nice presentation... but if you are talking technology.. it isn't the heads up display or Pandora... it is what is going on in the stuff that you can't see.. stability dynamics, 4matic, and all the other stuff under the hood that really makes the difference.

I just drove back from the tip of Long Island with a 40kt gusting crosswind with blowing snow drifts and treacherous conditions... my GL63 gave me all the confidence in the world. That same drive in the 450 or a Caddy would in my opinion be a totally different experience.

but you sure look dope in the new Slade! Enjoy it.. it is a cool truck and one to certainly be happy with....
Old 02-15-2015 | 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cyclrder
I can see where coming from a GL450 that the driving difference between the two might not be so obvious... but the driving difference between at typical optioned 450 (not having all the driving dynamic option boxes ticked) and a 550 is night and day.

I just put a 100 miles on a brand new loner GL450..the car wallowed and definitely felt on the soft side of things..a very nice car but not a car that I would want to own driving around the MTN roads of VT.. a 550 comes with all the fancy suspension options and they definitely make a difference... the Caddy can't possibly compete against the GL550 in handling ..(experienced based on riding in the back of them being used as car service vehicles)

that being said... the new Caddy is very pretty, has a fabulous interior esthetically, and certainly has a nice presentation... but if you are talking technology.. it isn't the heads up display or Pandora... it is what is going on in the stuff that you can't see.. stability dynamics, 4matic, and all the other stuff under the hood that really makes the difference.

I just drove back from the tip of Long Island with a 40kt gusting crosswind with blowing snow drifts and treacherous conditions... my GL63 gave me all the confidence in the world. That same drive in the 450 or a Caddy would in my opinion be a totally different experience.

but you sure look dope in the new Slade! Enjoy it.. it is a cool truck and one to certainly be happy with....
Yes and no.... First of all I I have not driven the 550 or the 63 so I cannot do a fair comparison, but I will agree that 4matic is a beautiful system if you are considering ALL WHEEL drive....I never got stuck in 8yrs worth of 450's! Of course , I had the Off Road package to help with that......The NEW Escalade which is the 2015mid model...has a fantastic variable 4WD system that gives me an extra measure of insurance in that when you move it into 4WD low ...the rear diff will automatically lock up if needed....never needed that BUTTTT, the older I get the more "insurance" i want when I head into the hills of Vermont in this time of year! The bottom line is.....I wanted the same level of luxury that I had in my GL's, wanted to continue with the V8, loved the Capt. chair 2nd row and the VERY much improved fit and finish of the Premium level interior of the slade, wanted a bit more "aggressive 4WD system" and was attracted by the Slade's auto 2wheel/4wheel system....358 miles on the meter so far.....no regrets , YET!
I honestly believe I own the best of what we do in THIS country....the best hybrid ( a 14 Ford Fusion ), the best sports car ( a 12 Corvette GS ) and now the best luxury level SUV! I do NOT regret my MB years......when I bought the first one in 07 , NOTHING was the equal and that included the RR. ....just my opinion, of course
Old 02-15-2015 | 08:57 PM

18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
Yes and no.... First of all I I have not driven the 550 or the 63 so I cannot do a fair comparison, but I will agree that 4matic is a beautiful system if you are considering ALL WHEEL drive....I never got stuck in 8yrs worth of 450's! Of course , I had the Off Road package to help with that......The NEW Escalade which is the 2015mid model...has a fantastic variable 4WD system that gives me an extra measure of insurance in that when you move it into 4WD low ...the rear diff will automatically lock up if needed....never needed that BUTTTT, the older I get the more "insurance" i want when I head into the hills of Vermont in this time of year! The bottom line is.....I wanted the same level of luxury that I had in my GL's, wanted to continue with the V8, loved the Capt. chair 2nd row and the VERY much improved fit and finish of the Premium level interior of the slade, wanted a bit more "aggressive 4WD system" and was attracted by the Slade's auto 2wheel/4wheel system....358 miles on the meter so far.....no regrets , YET!
I honestly believe I own the best of what we do in THIS country....the best hybrid ( a 14 Ford Fusion ), the best sports car ( a 12 Corvette GS ) and now the best luxury level SUV! I do NOT regret my MB years......when I bought the first one in 07 , NOTHING was the equal and that included the RR. ....just my opinion, of course
a GL450/550 with the offroad package is a formidable beast for sure! I suspect that it would have a firmer suspension than standard 450s..

I agree that your garage is a fabulous selection of American Iron!

Stay warm up there in VT.. I trek to Barnard regularly... the GL63 eats those roads up! But I sure don't take her off road except in snow! It just isn't her cup of tea.

btw... a GL63 stops with in 5 feet from 70-0 of the previous Corvette 0-60 4.9sec...and she will go around turns flat and smooth... (not quite a Turbo Cayenne... but still pretty good for a 7 passenger dog hauler)

Last edited by cyclrder; 02-15-2015 at 09:02 PM. Reason: forgot something...
Old 02-16-2015 | 04:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cyclrder
a GL450/550 with the offroad package is a formidable beast for sure! I suspect that it would have a firmer suspension than standard 450s..

I agree that your garage is a fabulous selection of American Iron!

Stay warm up there in VT.. I trek to Barnard regularly... the GL63 eats those roads up! But I sure don't take her off road except in snow! It just isn't her cup of tea.

btw... a GL63 stops with in 5 feet from 70-0 of the previous Corvette 0-60 4.9sec...and she will go around turns flat and smooth... (not quite a Turbo Cayenne... but still pretty good for a 7 passenger dog hauler)

88 Grand Wagoneer ..Now there's "American Iron!"
Old 02-16-2015 | 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not to mention, you are giving up one of the safest vehicles on the road. The GL has never had a traffic fatility. It's listed as one of the few vehicles that can say the same while the Escalade is not in the group. If you wanted an extra measure of safety, I don't believe you achieved it with the Caddi.
Old 02-16-2015 | 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ones opinion on a GL vs Escalade is pointless since its all subjective anyway. Buy whatever you like and enjoy it but don't expect everyone will agree with your choice.

I love my GL550 and would never buy a GM product. But so what. What I do or do not buy doesn't effect anyone but my family.

FYI, I might just order a new 2016 GL63 once the mid-cycle refresh is available.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Moving on....