GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

2016 GLS Rumors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 280 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
Originally Posted by Nihsel10
Well, I guess I can give my thoughts about it since I have both the Escalade ESV and the GL550. You can correct me.

To be quite honest, both the GL and the Escalade doesn't feel the same. The Escalade is built on a body on frame and the platform is based from the Chevy Silverado, GMT900. The GL is like a car and has a unibody frame, thus called the X166. That shows the real different, it's how it's made. The Escalade is usually know as limos or used in long haul travels with heavy cargo. The ESV give enough trunk space so that the third row doesn't have to be folded.

My dad just recently purchased a new 2015i ESV Premium. I have to be real, it made my GL look bad because of the features it has.

The new 2015i has 4g LTE wifi, wireless charging (only works with phone with Qi or PMA wireless charging capabilities), the front cameras activate when close to objects 1 feet (12') under 5 miles, a HUD, LED screen DIC, light on the door handles that make the 'lade noticeable at night, extra trunk storage, and also handsfree lift gate.

That are some features that my '15 GL don't have except activating the camera system by going to the system setting and driving under 20 mph.

What I would like the see from the new 2016 GLS are most of the similar features that the new 2015i Escalade has and probably an Elongated version of the GLS, call it the 600 or 550x.

The great thing about the GL is the that works well in city limits where there is so much congestion and it's easy to park. The Escalade needs more space to park and hard to maneuver around in congested cities.
This is a fare appraisal of both SUV's. The Cadillac has up-to-date tech because they just refreshed the entire car. The mid-cycle refresh due later this year will help but I doubt it will compete with the updated tech in the Escalade.
I was looking at 2014 sales results in the US and the Escalade surpassed the GL in sales:

Escalade - 30,522 (35% increase over 2013)
GL Class - 29,912 (11% decrease over 2013)

Not surprising as buyers love the latest tech and designs. I wonder if MB's strategy to refresh the GL every 6-years is wise? More and more manufactures are refreshing their cars more quickly so they do not lose market share. If the above trend continues, MB risks losing a lot of customers over the next 3 to 4 years.

That being said, I still prefer the ride height and car-like drive of the GL over the trucky feel of an Escalade. But to each his own.

Last edited by JoeMa; 03-01-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts
S560
I was hearing that the GL is slated for it's refresh next summer as a 2017 model. Hope it's not that far off.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:35 PM

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
--
Originally Posted by emilner
I think you are the first person making the argument that GM trucks are less reliable than Mercedes trucks. I've had close to a dozen GM full size trucks over the years and not one ever has seen a service bay except for oil changes. Zero, zilch! (Well, I'm stretching the truth, my 2yr old son at the time thoroughly enjoyed filling the CD slot with change one day, thankfully caddy replaced the head unit under warranty!). GM trucks are known to be exceptionally strong and reliable, granted the 2015 is a first model year truck so a little teething pain is expected.

My 350 I can't say the same. I've had my right and left headlight go out (upstate NY on the Taconic at night!!) each on different occasions. I had one trip where the engine lost power to the point where every 20 miles I had to pull over and shut off and restart. And last week the truck wouldn't start for 20 min then finally started. And this is on a brand new truck. And my other MBs have been anything but reliable....
Like Land Rover (in my experiences at least), GM consistently receives criticism which is undue at times. I personally regard their trucks as bulletproof.

What I was alluding to is that there are certain issues that make it very difficult for me to take the plunge. The old ignition issue and the problematic rollout of the 15 trucks, chief among them.

Last edited by bonboon; 02-26-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Originally Posted by eliontakis
Like Land Rover (in my experiences at least), GM consistently receives criticism which is undue at times. I personally regard their trucks as bulletproof.

What I was alluding to is that there are certain issues that make it very difficult for me to take the plunge. The old ignition issue and the problematic rollout of the 15 trucks, chief among them.
If you are on the Caddy forum it seems like a few truck have had a vibration problem but it seems to be a lemon in Canada that's drawing attention since Canada doesn't have lemon laws.

The ignition issue is a joke. If you have 4lbs of keys on your keychain I'm sorry, but it's your fault (speaking metaphorically). And since the Slade is push button its Not an issue anymore.

I'm not personally interested in the new ESV (after 4 previous ones) because I didn't like the rough drive and didn't want the first year model.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:55 PM

--
If you are on the Caddy forum it seems like a few truck have had a vibration problem but it seems to be a lemon in Canada that's drawing attention since Canada doesn't have lemon laws.

The ignition issue is a joke. If you have 4lbs of keys on your keychain I'm sorry, but it's your fault (speaking metaphorically). And since the Slade is push button its Not an issue anymore.

I'm not personally interested in the new ESV (after 4 previous ones) because I didn't like the rough drive and didn't want the first year model.
I'm going to wait and see on the GL refresh for 2016. If it happens, if it's material, etc. If not a meaningful update, it'll prob be a 2016 Denali XL for me. It's pretty easy to get say 6,7k off of one, loaded, with no hassle. Caddy going to be MSRP at least for a bit, unless you can get a supplier discount.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
Maybach variant? I'm sure all the rappers and NBA players will love it. However, I doubt most GL buyers will even consider the maybach version.

How many S class buyers considered the Maybach a few years ago when it was available? Not many.

Most S-Class buyers won't consider the new S600 Maybach either, but it has nothing to do with the old Maybachs. Not everyone needs a personal limo. The old Maybach didn't sell because of the design and price, two things that aren't a problem this time around. The old Maybachs started at like 375K. Saying most GL buyers won't consider a Maybach variant doesn't mean anything really, they aren't supposed to. The Maybach variants are for the one percent of the one percenters.

M
Old 02-26-2015, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I disagree. GLs have been a great success because there is no other true 7 passenger luxury CUV/SUV out there with a "whole package". For example, the 3rd row seats in a X5 or a Q7 are useless. The LR7... well, it's a LR7; fugly come to mind but it's a great offroader. As for the Escalade, Infiniti, and Lexus, they are not true competitors IMO because they are body on frame designs and not as refined especially when it comes to handling, but they are still nice vehicles. I think MB will have strong competition when the likes of the new X7 and the redesigned Q7 roll out.

That is true too, but people aren't buying and using the 7th row angle as much as you think.

M
Old 02-26-2015, 06:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Don't you guys/ladies think the Escalade is way too blingy? I've spoken to so many people that share my opinion. Even if I liked the styling personally, I think Escalades cost far too much to have such polarizing styling. I put the styling in the same camp as the Infiniti QX. The Denali and Tahoe are respectable but gosh the Escalade is tacky.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Originally Posted by 43221B
Don't you guys/ladies think the Escalade is way too blingy? I've spoken to so many people that share my opinion. Even if I liked the styling personally, I think Escalades cost far too much to have such polarizing styling. I put the styling in the same camp as the Infiniti QX. The Denali and Tahoe are respectable but gosh the Escalade is tacky.
I disagree. The Escalade has presence. Is it flashy? Yes. But here it's a good thing...
Old 02-26-2015, 07:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
I disagree. The Escalade has presence. Is it flashy? Yes. But here it's a good thing...
But... I'm sure you probably don't care, but plenty of people that can afford an Escalade think they are tacky, very, very tacky as in big gold chain hanging around your neck tacky. Not just flashy. Your SL63 is flashy, which I think is a good thing, but not in the same unrestrained way the Escalade is flashy/tacky. And I'm strictly referring to the exterior. If you want one, go for it, but know, Escalades are very polarizing in a way your SL63 is not.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:52 PM

--
Ok, question for everyone. Anyone seen the attached MB document?

Dealer had it today. He didn't really know when he got it, or how firm it was. He honestly had only heard of GLS name change a day or so ago.

Anyone know the origin of this document? If it's outdated? If the GLS refresh has been moved up to the 16 model year? Or is the name designation coming for 16 but a refresh for 17?
Attached Thumbnails 2016 GLS Rumors-nomenclature-change.jpg  
Old 02-26-2015, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
First time I've seen that. The refresh would be consistent with previous years where the ML (GLE) gets a refresh 1 year before the GL (GLS).

I personally don't think it would work in their marketing to have the GLS have the same interior as the GLE. It would be the same as the E and the S having the same interior.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:00 PM

--
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
First time I've seen that. The refresh would be consistent with previous years where the ML (GLE) gets a refresh 1 year before the GL (GLS).

I personally don't think it would work in their marketing to have the GLS have the same interior as the GLE. It would be the same as the E and the S having the same interior.
Personally, just trying to make sense of if they'd change nomenclature to GLS without refreshing. I wouldn't think they would but who knows. I've got a deposit down to order a 16 assuming there will be a refresh. In the event there is not, going to get a Denali XL, I've decided.

Last edited by bonboon; 02-26-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interesting document. Never seen that before, but that does appear to indicate that the facelift will be for the 2017 model year, but I don't think MB will change the GL to the GLS until that happens. No way of knowing until the 2016 order guide is out. Interesting stuff.

Now what could happen is that the 2017 model year could start early next year or in spring in 2016, not the fall of 2016. I guess we'll know that once they show the GL/GLS facelift.

M
Old 02-27-2015, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB GLS550/BMW 550/2017 Acura NSX

Dealer had it today. He didn't really know when he got it, or how firm it was. He honestly had only heard of GLS name change a day or so ago.

Anyone know the origin of this document? If it's outdated? If the GLS refresh has been moved up to the 16 model year? Or is the name designation coming for 16 but a refresh for 17?
I've seen that picture before; not sure where exactly, but I believe somewhere on this forum.

That's what prompted me to start thinking about the timing of our next vehicle. Our GL350 lease ends in June of 2016, and I had read that production of the refreshed GLS will start in July 2016 as the 2017 model year. Hence why I inquired about extending our lease a few months to get the redesigned GLS.

But we really don't know for sure yet.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL550 2013 ESV Platinum 2008 Hummer H2 LE UM
I really respect your opinion being that you've spent a lot of time in both.

For me the interiors are apples and oranges. Designo 550 vs say the Platinum is pickem for me because they are just two different styles. One is clearly American, and one is teutonic. And as for the tech features, I don't need or desire much of that.

For me, the Escalade is my choice if I need the cargo room of the ESV. Beyond that, I'm just not willing to roll the dice on first year GM products. I don't think that will ever change for me, personally. Hearing about vibrations at speed in a 95k mile truck for which there is no acknowledgement or fix from GM is just mind boggling to me and makes the purchase a non starter.
Yeah. There is a huge price gap between the GL and Escalade. The GL550 is like the Escalade Premium, price wise. The Fully load GL550 with the Designo, distronic, active curve, etc. would cost around (not exact) $113K. The Premium level Escalade fully loaded with the Kona interior, power retractable steps w/ lights will be maxed at $96K. One disappointing thing about the Escalade is the Platinum edition. It's basically the Premium level with things added like a cooler in the center glove box, different rims, alcantara headliner, and change in grille style. The one thing great I like from the GL is that the top-tier, the GL63, is the hand built engine. That shows that, that really is the platinum edition of GLs.

There have been lots of discussion about it in the Cadillac forums. The people that are experiencing those vibration bought the vehicle when it first went to production. It's the 4th gen of Escalade, problems are bound to happen on the first year of the new model. I remember that from the 07 ESV I had, which had so many issue and ended up in the dealer bunch of times for the rear lift gate and a cracked windshield which was later found out the rain sensor was causing the crack due to its weight. The 2010 ESV I had and 2013 Platinum I have now doesn't have any of that issue any more. It's perfect. I had a vibration issue on my 2013 Platinum, but that went away after doing a road force wheel balance. By year 2 or 3, the vibration problems will be resolved.

Originally Posted by JoeMa
This is a fare appraisal of both SUV's. The Cadillac has up-to-date tech because they just refreshed the entire car. The mid-cycle refresh due later this year will help but I doubt it will complete with the overhauled tech in the Escalade.
I was looking at 2014 sales results in the US and the Escalade surpassed the GL in sales:

Escalade - 30,522 (35% increase over 2013)
GL Class - 29,912 (11% decrease over 2013)

Not surprising as buyers love the latest tech and designs. I wonder if MB's strategy to refresh the GL every 6-years is wise? More and more manufactures are refreshing their cars more quickly so they do not lose market share. If the above trend continues, MB risks losing a lot of customers over the next 3 1/2 years.

That being said, I still prefer the ride height and car-like drive of the GL over the trucky feel of an Escalade. But to each his own.

Yeah I saw those numbers. I was amazed. Gas price somehow got involved from what I have heard. When the gas price went down, the sale of SUV went up. When the gas went up, no one was buying any SUV. Quite an interesting trend.

After my bad experience with the 2012 GL I had, I started to forgive MB after getting the new 2015. I love it now and works great in the city I am in.

I am actually kinda pumped to see the changes on the mid-cycle refresh.

Last edited by Nihsel10; 02-28-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Am I the only one to notice the ML and GLS says face lift for model year 2017 in that document?

It isn't the 2016 model year that we have been thinking about....
Old 02-28-2015, 08:07 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
GLS450
This recently posted article implies the GLS facelift will be out later this year, I guess in Germany.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11502288...ing-in-Germany
Attached Thumbnails 2016 GLS Rumors-glnew1.jpg   2016 GLS Rumors-glnew2.jpg   2016 GLS Rumors-glnew3.jpg  
Old 02-28-2015, 09:00 AM

--
Originally Posted by jerome8283
This recently posted article implies the GLS facelift will be out later this year, I guess in Germany.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11502288...ing-in-Germany
That is not only the most current info floating around out there (it's been a lull of over a month in the press on this topic) but also arguably the most credible. Germancarfans is on point.

If they are right and it is shown at Paris, I suppose best case scenario might be US deliveries of Dec or so? Later? I'm not sure how it works with mid model year intros of Benz refreshes. Maybe, like mentioned earlier and consistent with that document, it's a 2017 that you can take delivery of in Spring 2016
Old 02-28-2015, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I have a lot of love for the GL - certainly the new/new 2015 1/2 (yes there is a 15 1/2, snce early 15 was a disaster tranny wise)- and for me the Escalade ESV has the largest rear cabin I have experienced - and some "need" that extra room - and that extra room, again ESV, significant. On the Escalade (std, not ESV) - rear cabin has different dimensions than the GL some say tomAto, some say tomAHto..

Interesting to compare MSRP's (real rigs) between the Caddy and the GL - since with signifacantly higer MSRP overall - the Caddy you would expect the dealer to hand you a check for $10K of the extra $15K - but with ESV production so fracked up at GM - GM doesn't give extra back to the Caddy dealers to do that.

If you think GL orders are slow - then Cadillac pre-orders are "I can put it on order but I just don't know when it will be here, really. I have one customer's ESV on order - that was 9 weeks to production - sitting at GM's version of VPC for 3 weeks already - all waiting, now-a-days, for the ESV really to get finished up - with no completion/ship date.

My opinion, the GL does earnestly "drive more like a luxury sedan" - and the Escalade drives well, and like a sophisticated box truck.

In a GL - for the poster that has problems reaching Nav screen - I push the Voice portal and say "Navigation" and it comes up - or hit the dash Nav button. I do like the S-Class aluminum direct-access function buttons - so yeah, I would like to trand more in that direction.

No one will really/really know for sure on 2016 GL/ML until the dealer guide is released - just back from Vance Friday and they still have yet to make final decisions on what's/what's for when on the "refresh".

Interior wise - i "expect" interior will tend towards the look/feel you can see in some of the recent online photo's for the GLE-Coupe - which, so you know - is not the same 166 chassis as the current X166 and W166 -
Old 02-28-2015, 09:55 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
GLS450
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
certainly the new/new 2015 1/2 (yes there is a 15 1/2, snce early 15 was a disaster tranny wise)-

fabbrisd1, what exactly were the tranny issues? Also how can one tell they are getting a 15 1/2? Thx
Old 03-01-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 GLS450, Previously 2017 GLS450, 2014 GL450, 2012 GL450
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
GLE-Coupe - which, so you know - is not the same 166 chassis as the current X166 and W166 -
If it's not the same chassis, then what is it built on?
Old 03-01-2015, 12:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 GL450
Here's my 2 cents. I've been back and forth between technology. We left the X164 because of the outdated Navi, amongst other reasons. Every time I'm in the market for a lux SUV, I've considered the Escalade but it was never in my top 3. The new ESV has very nice features but I'm not a transformer fan. Just can't get past it's looks; it's like loving a fat ugly chick who has a great personality and beautiful inside but you still have to wake up to her.
The Escalade is a big body on frame SUV therefore will not have the same ride quality as the GL. I can't say for sure since I have not driven it but this generalization for the most part, is the case. If you can get past the looks, it's size, and the ride then the Escalade is a very nice lux SUV.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Please understand on the Mercedes two things -

1) The "model designation change-up" is brand strategic with the intention buyers new to Mercedes to easily identify/compare between Mercedes sedans with Mercedes SUV's - especially on their pre-dealer-visit research - that's quite a straightforward thing.

2) In 7 model year product life-cycle - "refresh" at Mercedes can elective be implemented 3rd or 4th model year (G-Wagen a notable exception) - with the intent to "freshen" the model - 1st primarily to offer existing lease Mercedes lease customers added incentive/excitement to move forward to "newer+more" Mercedes models - and 2nd to offer new Mercedes shoppers a more updated/refined interior and exterior design as compared to 1st generation - 3rd to offer opportunity to consolidate improvement/update to safety/control/entertainment systems.

The "document" posted describes the transition form current model series designations - to the "new" model designations.

Let me be straight forward - in the North American market - no one will have confirmation of anything until the 1st release of the Dealer Order Guide for each model is released.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 280 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
For what its worth, I found this rendering of a GLS. If this is the direction, I like it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2016 GLS Rumors