GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

2016 GLS Rumors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 284 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
2016 GLS Rumors

With the upcoming refresh of the 2016 GLS later this year, use this thread to post the latest rumors and photos. The pics below have been available since December 2014 but hopefully some new spy shots and rumors will be leaked soon:

Old 02-17-2015, 09:29 AM

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
--
Looking forward to seeing what they do cosmetically.

Interior, they should address headrests in power easy entry configuration. Optional captains chairs would be great, second row.

Probably be announced/introduced at NYAS, I'm guessing. East coast a big market for this vehicle.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X5
Latest pictures winter testing, Finland:

Courtesy: http://indianautosblog.com/2015/02/m...g-spied-168006

Old 02-17-2015, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by eliontakis
Looking forward to seeing what they do cosmetically.

Interior, they should address headrests in power easy entry configuration. Optional captains chairs would be great, second row.

Probably be announced/introduced at NYAS, I'm guessing. East coast a big market for this vehicle.
I completely agree that MB should redesign the Power Easy Entry headrest issues. There are way too many complaints about it for them to ignore it for 3 more model years.

Here is what I am expecting:
  • New face with LED headlamps
  • New LED tail lamps
  • Redesigned dash with 8" display and touch controller
Wish list items:
  • Additional interior color choices
  • Addition of the black satin wood available in the new C class
  • Color HUD
  • Burmester sound system
  • Replace the cheap plastic memory and seat controls with metal controls
  • Replace the plastic door locks with metal locks

The 2016 GLS will be one of the most expensive SUV's available. Its interior should look like one of the most expensive SUV's available.

Last edited by JoeMa; 02-17-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
How bout finally giving us the 9 speed and a proper twin turbo oil burner with 300 hp and 500+lb-tq... sigh probably wont happen till the next gen.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by JoeMa
I completely agree that MB should redesign the Power Easy Entry headrest issues. There are way too many complaints about it for them to ignore it for 3 more model years.

Here is what I am expecting:
  • New face with LED headlamps
  • New LED tail lamps
  • Redesigned dash with 8" display and touch controller
Wish list items:
  • Color HUD
  • Burmester sound system

The 2016 GLS will be one of the most expensive SUV's available. Its interior should look like one of the most expensive SUV's available.
Really good post/suggestions. Along with the diesel engine another poster mentioned. The GLS needs to get ready because there is some serious competition coming from Bentley and Rolls. That Maybach version just may come true.

M
Old 02-18-2015, 07:03 PM

MB GLS550/BMW 550/2017 Acura NSX
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Really good post/suggestions. Along with the diesel engine another poster mentioned. The GLS needs to get ready because there is some serious competition coming from Bentley and Rolls. That Maybach version just may come true.

M
Those will cost double what the GLS will cost.

The real competition for the GLS will be when BMW finally rolls out their X7.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Axxlrod

I see you own a BMW 5-series (wonderful car) so I'll offer my response with some restraint. I've test-driven several X5's over the years and my wife and I just didn't feel the ride was comfortable. Too stiff for us. And they sit too high making entering and exiting more difficult. If the future X7 is just an extended X5, I wouldn't think many MB owners will jump ship or even care.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:00 PM

2015 GL 350
Wish list items:
  • Color HUD
  • Burmester sound system

This plus
Magic Body Control
Active Steering Assist
move the night view assist to the instrument cluster
Old 02-19-2015, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500

Well we don't know that for sure when they roll out the next generation GLS with a Maybach variant. I'm sure Mercedes will stuff a V12 in it and go for a 200K price also. Regular GLS models yeah the X7 is the competition, but MB always aims over Audi and BMW in the upper classes and does so quite easily.

M
Old 02-20-2015, 01:05 AM

None
For the Burmester Sound System would it be replacing Harman Kardon Sound system standard on the 550 or would it be an add on option? And between Burmester and Bang and Olufsen system which one would you all prefer? And which of the two is the better one that you all think that Mercedes Benz would go for the next generation of GLS class?
Old 02-20-2015, 06:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ZeroFreedom
For the Burmester Sound System would it be replacing Harman Kardon Sound system standard on the 550 or would it be an add on option? And between Burmester and Bang and Olufsen system which one would you all prefer? And which of the two is the better one that you all think that Mercedes Benz would go for the next generation of GLS class?
The last few models that MB has refreshed (S and C classes) they gone with the Burmester sound system. I've heard it in both the S and C class and it is quite good. The current Bang and Olufsen option is too pricy at $5,400. I don't expect they will make the Burmester available in the mid-cycle refresh but I would expect it in the next full refresh (2019?).
Old 02-20-2015, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by JoeMa
I see you own a BMW 5-series (wonderful car) so I'll offer my response with some restraint. I've test-driven several X5's over the years and my wife and I just didn't feel the ride was comfortable. Too stiff for us. And they sit too high making entering and exiting more difficult. If the future X7 is just an extended X5, I wouldn't think many MB owners will jump ship or even care.
Much of the criteria that people use to select cars is subjective. What works for one person does not work for the next. I much prefer the firmer BMW ride over the typical MB ride. Just personal preference.

The GL350 is in our garage right now because, having 3 kids, we need a vehicle with a useable 3rd row, and after several escalades, wanted something different, and the GL fit that bill.

I think it has many short-comings however. The interior dash design and command interface is circa 2003, the vehicles creaks like crazy going over dips at an angle, and our vehicle is on it's 3rd set of front brake rotors in only 18 months.

The dated dash design/comand system will be updated soon, and hopefully the other issues will be addressed also.

For me, I'm eagerly anticipating the BMW X7. I guess I'm more of a BMW guy at heart.

Well we don't know that for sure when they roll out the next generation GLS with a Maybach variant. I'm sure Mercedes will stuff a V12 in it and go for a 200K price also. Regular GLS models yeah the X7 is the competition, but MB always aims over Audi and BMW in the upper classes and does so quite easily.

M
Maybach variant? I'm sure all the rappers and NBA players will love it. However, I doubt most GL buyers will even consider the maybach version.

How many S class buyers considered the Maybach a few years ago when it was available? Not many.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Much of the criteria that people use to select cars is subjective. What works for one person does not work for the next. I much prefer the firmer BMW ride over the typical MB ride. Just personal preference.

The GL350 is in our garage right now because, having 3 kids, we need a vehicle with a useable 3rd row, and after several escalades, wanted something different, and the GL fit that bill.

I think it has many short-comings however. The interior dash design and command interface is circa 2003, the vehicles creaks like crazy going over dips at an angle, and our vehicle is on it's 3rd set of front brake rotors in only 18 months.

The dated dash design/comand system will be updated soon, and hopefully the other issues will be addressed also.

For me, I'm eagerly anticipating the BMW X7. I guess I'm more of a BMW guy at heart.

You are correct, cars are very subjective. And you are correct in your assessment of the current dashboard electronics. That being said, BMW's electronic leave a lot to be desired as well. It is lots of polish but in real world use, not so great. Difficult to navigate between screens. I have a good friend who own 2013 X5 and never even uses most of the Nav features because he says its just too frustrating.

I just read Consumer Reports review of the 2015 X5 and they said it is now more comfortable with a softer ride compared to the outgoing model. But they point out that die-hard BMW buyers may not like the new ride.

In the end, a SUV is a people mover, not a sports car. It should have a focus on quiet and comfort and it appears BMW is finally moving in that direction. No doubt the upcoming X7 will be very popular with many buyers. I'll certainly take a look at it. But by the time it is ready, the GLS will be a brand new car as well. And I expect MB has not been sitting on their hands. It will no doubt offer many attractive new features.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:56 PM

For sure!

It's a great time to be a car-lover.

Having both a 2013 MB and a 2013 BMW, I can say without any doubt the BMW idrive system is world's ahead of the MB version. I can bring up the nav/map screen without looking. Can't do that in the MB.

I realize the current Comand system will be updated soon (hopefully), but right now, when I drive our GL, I feel like I need to know how to be a DOS programmer.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

"DOS programmer" - Ouch!

Of course iDrive is slammed more than any other system out there but the GL's Command system leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully the refresh will fix much of that.

I expect a fully digital dash in the next-gen GLS (2019), maybe even autonomous driving by then!
Old 02-20-2015, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350

Maybach variant? I'm sure all the rappers and NBA players will love it. However, I doubt most GL buyers will even consider the maybach version.

How many S class buyers considered the Maybach a few years ago when it was available? Not many.
I agree on the creaking, its really bad and noticeable even with music on.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cookstar
I agree on the creaking, its really bad and noticeable even with music on.
Are you referring to the chassis/frame creaking or something else?
Old 02-23-2015, 10:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 GLS450, Previously 2017 GLS450, 2014 GL450, 2012 GL450
I do wish they can ditch the same dash design and seating they have in the ML. I think this is the reason why the interior doesn't feel like a 70-120k car, because it's sharing an interior and seats with a car that starts at $48k.

The interior could have been much more upscale and used properly had it been designed specifically for this model and not via a parts bin.

I certainly hope the X7 is not just an elongated X5
Old 02-23-2015, 12:31 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
GLS450
Originally Posted by Ah_gl450
I do wish they can ditch the same dash design and seating they have in the ML. I think this is the reason why the interior doesn't feel like a 70-120k car, because it's sharing an interior and seats with a car that starts at $48k.

The interior could have been much more upscale and used properly had it been designed specifically for this model and not via a parts bin.

I certainly hope the X7 is not just an elongated X5

I agree with you but I'm afraid if this were done it would no longer be a 70-120k vehicle, perhaps 80-130k.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 GL450
MB always aims over Audi and BMW in the upper classes and does so quite easily.

M
I disagree. GLs have been a great success because there is no other true 7 passenger luxury CUV/SUV out there with a "whole package". For example, the 3rd row seats in a X5 or a Q7 are useless. The LR7... well, it's a LR7; fugly come to mind but it's a great offroader. As for the Escalade, Infiniti, and Lexus, they are not true competitors IMO because they are body on frame designs and not as refined especially when it comes to handling, but they are still nice vehicles. I think MB will have strong competition when the likes of the new X7 and the redesigned Q7 roll out.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I disagree. GLs have been a great success because there is no other true 7 passenger luxury CUV/SUV out there with a "whole package". For example, the 3rd row seats in a X5 or a Q7 are useless. The LR7... well, it's a LR7; fugly come to mind but it's a great offroader. As for the Escalade, Infiniti, and Lexus, they are not true competitors IMO because they are body on frame designs and not as refined especially when it comes to handling, but they are still nice vehicles. I think MB will have strong competition when the likes of the new X7 and the redesigned Q7 roll out.
He's right. The competition will only get more fierce in the next few years. But I expect MB is hard at work on a completely new GLS for 2019 to compete with the likes of the upcoming X7 and redesigned Q7.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL550 2013 ESV Platinum 2008 Hummer H2 LE UM
Well, I guess I can give my thoughts about it since I have both the Escalade ESV and the GL550. You can correct me.

To be quite honest, both the GL and the Escalade doesn't feel the same. The Escalade is built on a body on frame and the platform is based from the Chevy Silverado, GMT900. The GL is like a car and has a unibody frame, thus called the X166. That shows the real difference, it's how it's made. The Escalade is usually known as limos or used in long haul travels with heavy cargo. The ESV give enough trunk space so that the third row doesn't have to be folded.

My dad just recently purchased a new 2015i ESV Premium. I have to be real, it made my GL look bad because of the features it has.

The new 2015i has 4g LTE wifi, wireless charging (only works with phone with Qi or PMA wireless charging capabilities), the front cameras activate when close to objects 1 feet (12') under 5 miles, a HUD, LED screen DIC, light on the door handles that make the 'lade noticeable at night, extra trunk storage, and also handsfree lift gate.

That are some features that my '15 GL don't have except activating the camera system by going to the system setting and driving under 20 mph.

What I would like the see from the new 2016 GLS are most of the similar features that the new 2015i Escalade has and probably an Elongated version of the GLS, call it the 600 or 550x.

The great thing about the GL is the that works well in city limits where there is so much congestion and it's easy to park. The Escalade needs more space to park and hard to maneuver around in congested cities.

Last edited by Nihsel10; 02-28-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:26 AM

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
--
Originally Posted by Nihsel10
Well, I guess I can give my thoughts about it since I have both the Escalade ESV and the GL550. You can correct me.

To be quite honest, both the GL and the Escalade doesn't feel the same. The Escalade is built on a body on frame and the platform is based from the Chevy Silverado, GMT900. The GL is like a car and has a unibody frame, thus called the X166. That shows the real different, it's how it's made. The Escalade is usually know as limos or used in long haul travels with heavy cargo. The ESV give enough trunk space so that the third row doesn't have to be folded.

My dad just recently purchased a new 2015i ESV Premium. I have to be real, it made my GL look bad because of the features it has.

The new 2015i has 4g LTE wifi, wireless charging (only works with phone with Qi or PMA wireless charging capabilities), the front cameras activate when close to objects 1 feet (12') under 5 miles, a HUD, LED screen DIC, light on the door handles that make the 'lade noticeable at night, extra trunk storage, and also handsfree lift gate.

That are some features that my '15 GL don't have except activating the camera system by going to the system setting and driving under 20 mph.

What I would like the see from the new 2016 GLS are most of the similar features that the new 2015i Escalade has and probably an Elongated version of the GLS, call it the 600 or 550x.

The great thing about the GL is the that works well in city limits where there is so much congestion and it's easy to park. The Escalade needs more space to park and hard to maneuver around in congested cities.
I really respect your opinion being that you've spent a lot of time in both.

For me the interiors are apples and oranges. Designo 550 vs say the Platinum is pickem for me because they are just two different styles. One is clearly American, and one is teutonic. And as for the tech features, I don't need or desire much of that.

For me, the Escalade is my choice if I need the cargo room of the ESV. Beyond that, I'm just not willing to roll the dice on first year GM products. I don't think that will ever change for me, personally. Hearing about vibrations at speed in a 95k mile truck for which there is no acknowledgement or fix from GM is just mind boggling to me and makes the purchase a non starter.

Last edited by bonboon; 02-26-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 347 Likes on 216 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by eliontakis
I really respect your opinion being that you've spent a lot of time in both.

For me the interiors are apples and oranges. Designo 550 vs say the Platinum is pickem for me because they are just two different styles. One is clearly American, and one is teutonic. And as for the tech features, I don't need or desire much of that.

For me, the Escalade is my choice if I need the cargo room of the ESV. Beyond that, I'm just not willing to roll the dice on GM products. I don't think that will ever change for me, personally. Hearing about vibrations at speed in a 95k mile truck for which there is no acknowledgement or fix from GM is just mind boggling to me and makes the purchase a non starter.
I think you are the first person making the argument that GM trucks are less reliable than Mercedes trucks. I've had close to a dozen GM full size trucks over the years and not one ever has seen a service bay except for oil changes. Zero, zilch! (Well, I'm stretching the truth, my 2yr old son at the time thoroughly enjoyed filling the CD slot with change one day, thankfully caddy replaced the head unit under warranty!). GM trucks are known to be exceptionally strong and reliable, granted the 2015 is a first model year truck so a little teething pain is expected.

My 350 I can't say the same. I've had my right and left headlight go out (upstate NY on the Taconic at night!!) each on different occasions. I had one trip where the engine lost power to the point where every 20 miles I had to pull over and shut off and restart. And last week the truck wouldn't start for 20 min then finally started. And this is on a brand new truck. And my other MBs have been anything but reliable....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2016 GLS Rumors