GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Comments on the new GL vs 1st generation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 350
Comments on the new GL vs 1st generation?

Hello,

I'm curious. I got a 08' GL450 last year and despite being a huge BMW fan I love the GL to pieces. It's everything our X5 and X6 weren't.

So I'd like to hear from someone who has experience with both the old model and the newer GL; specifically whether the new car still has that lovable lazy feel, or whether MB changed the recipe at all.

For example, although I love the look of the new GL550, it looks so aggressive as to suggest that it sacrificed some comfort for handling. Since driving fast is not what I do in the GL, I'm more concerned with comfort. I'm curious whether the curve assist option ( a.k.a. hydraulic anti sway bars) takes any comfort away from the car? The BMWs had that feature, but only b/c it came with the sport pack - which itself compromised comfort....

I don't doubt that the geniuses at MB could add power, tire width and a little weight to the GL without really compromising much comfort, but I'd like to know from owners - have they been able to do that?

I'd love to hear any feedback (in regard to the newer 450 as well). I'm thinking about upgrading our car, but I haven't driven the new model at all. If the new model is trying to be more sporty I might consider a 2011 or 12' instead. Also, love to hear any feedback on build quality.
Thanks

DRP

Last edited by 560SEL; 04-17-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Your interest and concerns will be addressed when you test drive the 2015 GL - and this 2nd generation is termed correctly on this forum as X166 - as distinguished from original 1st gen X164.

As the X166 launched in Fall 2012 as 2013 model year - the very 1st customers who stepped up to the plate with genuine interest were owners X164/1st-Gen.

In terms of "luxury feel" - which I interpret from your term "lazy" - by driving the 2015 GL I know you will the cabin experience significantly quieter and smoother - and you should also have a very positive experience for you on the X166 "electro-mechanical" steering.

I would strongly suggest you test drive both the 2015 GL450 and the GL350 BlueTech - each has a "different" driving feel - each with a distinctive character both around time, and "different" character between them on the highway as well.

Depending on your area - my opinion you may be hard-pressed to find a Active Curve GL GL450/GL350 to test-drive - standard on GL63 - a "few" out there in GL550's - and quite scarce on GL350/GL450 - not a "inventory" feature really - at/more than a Driver's Assistance Package - Active Curve is a "build" discussion.

Timing wise you are a bit at the cusp with production changeover to MY 16 in July - which means existing production slots are all allocated already - your dealer is aware of what they might have available to build - and frankly the factory starts "locking" those slots down earlier 6-7 and soon 8 weeks ahead against changes.

If you want to turn to build - with "few" changes from 15-to-16 - if you act quickly there still might be the possibility of a MY15 build-to-your-spec - and whether you can leverage a "fleet" discount for end-of-model-year delivery when those discounts will be highest - a MY16 build will soon be accepted - and early MY16 delivery will be my estimate "mid-August" - at the same hand fleet/dealer discounts will be lowest.

All that said - it all comes out in the wash 2-3-4 yrs down the road - since MY15's will be 1 yr "older" than MY16's - it isn't a new rodeo for any car manufacturer - but end-model-year "better" pricing by a couple $1000 - I have seen been used to justify added stuff (for you) to your significant other.

Hope this helps - keep the beat !
Old 04-18-2015, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I was an owner of a X164 (2007 GL450) and now an X166 (2013 GL350). The X166 is a noticeable improvement in luxury. I went from a V8 gasser to a 6 cyl diesel. I'm not a hot rodder in my SUV, but there is less 'snort' in the diesel. It's not under-powered at all, and pulls stuff like a dream.

Give a new one a drive, I think you will be impressed.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 GL450
We had a '09 GL450 and a '11 GL350. We drive a '15 GL450. As the previous posters have said, best advice is to go for a test drive. Also, if you are looking to buy new, wait and see what the refresh entails.
We loved the X164s but both of them were maintenance problem children so we moved away from MB completely for a few years. Can't say that our '15 GL450 has been trouble free but everything is okay for now after a few visits to the dealership. Besides the aesthetic changes between the X164 and X166, the X166 is quieter and the electric steering is easier to steer, according to my wife. The navigation is an improvement but still behind Japanese vehicles. It feels more luxurious than the X164 and the ride is softer, IMO. Maybe, a little too soft for my taste but it's my wife's soccer mom-mobil so all is good. The most noticeable change is the engine; the V6 biturbo on the GL450 has ample power for what we use it for. Some hate it and some are okay with it; we are fine with the V6. The MPG isn't a huge improvement; actual world MPG is around 16-17mpg city/hwy combined. Our '09 GL450 was getting around 14, so somewhat of an improvement with the V6. The GL350 was getting around 22. btw, if Costco sold diesel, we would have a GL350 in our garage. Loved the low end torque of the diesel TDI! Best advice is to go check it out for yourself.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 04-19-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carrera S;
Our 2014 GL550 has 13,000 miles of trouble free driving. The only issue we have had is a left front light module replacement very soon after delivery-probably just a bad unit from supplier.

Regarding comfort; we have both active curve and off road package. Off round provides option of auto (comfort) or sport. In comfort mode, it is exactly that-quiet and coddling. In sport mode, the GL tightens up and is more fun to drive on back roads. Even in Sport, it is never harsh and always quiet.

WE did order the Designo interior and the seats are fantastic but I would think the standard interior would be very similar.

If I could change on thing with performance aspects of the car, I would not link throttle response to the suspension changes in Sport mode. Very simply the car gets less MPG in Sport-I would like the suspension changes but the car is quick enough outside Sport.

We have had many MB's and BMW's including 7 Series. This is by far the most comfortable.

Cheers
Old 07-29-2015, 02:50 PM

GL 350
Got one CPO

I traded in the 08' for a 13' GL450 w/appearance package. Despite a wide array of options on the car (cooled seats, panoramic roof, heated wheel, massage seats) there are no parking sensors! ? ! I didn't even think to ask. How could this uber sized top of the line car come w/out parktronic (and why didn't the dealer order it in the first place??).

Anyway that aside. The car is beautiful. Almost to a fault. I got our 08' as a 3rd car with 55k on it and although I take care of my cars, I simply didn;t care if there was ice cream spilled in the back seat or if the winter tires marked up the car when I threw them in the back. It was a road buddy.

The CPO car I got also has 50k miles but it is so much more luxurious inside and in such better shape. I have a feeling that once I take off the horrid runflats (that make the ride less appealing than the 08') and put a few miles on the car it will again become the family buddy. After all it hasn't gone through a ski season with us yet

I lease my other vehicles. The GL was and is a purchase and we rack up miles on it. No offense to MB, but if I wanted a pretentious status wagon I would have considered a Range Rover or even a Cayenne (although they are smaller). I got the GL to be our family truckster. I'm glad I got the new one, but I just hope it feels a little more user friendly and a little less stuffy to me as I rack up some miles.

DRP
Old 07-29-2015, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I am confused - here in the US 2013 GL's came with standard tires - only came with Extended Mobility is B&O stereo was added - since those electronic take up the spare tire space....

I guess either - where are you located - and what makes you think your 2013 GL has run-flats ?

Intriquing...
Old 07-29-2015, 04:42 PM

GL 350
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
I am confused - here in the US 2013 GL's came with standard tires - only came with Extended Mobility is B&O stereo was added - since those electronic take up the spare tire space....

I guess either - where are you located - and what makes you think your 2013 GL has run-flats ?

Intriquing...
I bought the car certified pre-owned. The dealer declared their pride in installing new Bridgestone Dueller 400 extended mobility (RUNFLAT) tires as part of reconditioning.

The same dealer also mentioned that the Pirellis were a nightmare for their service department. Check tirerack - the Bridgestone extended mobility are the cheapest OEM tires after the Pirellis. Makes sense what they did. Many people wouldn't notice and/or care. Not me: this will be the 3rd car I removed runflats from.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:09 PM

GL 350
Originally Posted by drpesq
I bought the car certified pre-owned. The dealer declared their pride in installing new Bridgestone Dueller 400 extended mobility (RUNFLAT) tires as part of reconditioning.

The same dealer also mentioned that the Pirellis were a nightmare for their service department. Check tirerack - the Bridgestone extended mobility are the cheapest OEM tires after the Pirellis. Makes sense what they did. Many people wouldn't notice and/or care. Not me: this will be the 3rd car I removed runflats from.
I now have the non run flat contis that come on the 550. Significant improvement in ride quality.

DRP
Old 09-30-2015, 03:55 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by luv2sleep
The most noticeable change is the engine; the V6 biturbo on the GL450 has ample power for what we use it for. Some hate it and some are okay with it; we are fine with the V6. The MPG isn't a huge improvement; actual world MPG is around 16-17mpg city/hwy combined. Our '09 GL450 was getting around 14, so somewhat of an improvement with the V6. The GL350 was getting around 22. btw, if Costco sold diesel, we would have a GL350 in our garage. Loved the low end torque of the diesel TDI! Best advice is to go check it out for yourself.
just saw that - the x166 450 is a biturbo v8. the only v6 is the om642 diesel single turbo engine in the 350.