GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Help/Suggestions for "New" 2013 GL550 first time owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 09:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 GLS450, Previously 2017 GLS450, 2014 GL450, 2012 GL450
Originally Posted by dkaydkay
So, for anyone in NJ that buys a car from a govt auction and receives a "Certificate to Obtain a Title".. just know that a local DMV can and should be able to title and register the car.
So since you're in Jersey (so am I), where was the live gov't auction you went to?
Old 05-13-2015, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL550, 2015 Ghibli S4
From the photo, your vehicle doe seem to have Driver's Assistance Pkg (or Distronic Plus). There is a small dial on the cruise control stalk that will allow you to set the closure distance of the vehicle in front of yours. Most GL550s come ordered with pano roof and driver's assistance pkg.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL550
hi ah.. i found it on this link http://www.treasury.gov/auctions/treasury/gp/
it was in dayton nj and the next one is in august. if i didn't buy the car it would have gone back for august.

thanks tdt.. i'm picking the car up today, so i'll confirm and post. but i think you're right.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:13 AM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
Well... went to DMV today with picture of the vin.. today's lady didn't know why I was told the paperwork had to go elsewhere.. walked over to a supervisor and 7 minutes later I walked out with title, registration and plates. Woohoo!!

So, for anyone in NJ that buys a car from a govt auction and receives a "Certificate to Obtain a Title".. just know that a local DMV can and should be able to title and register the car.

Just dropped it off for service at the dealer. Going for the B service just to be safe since it also includes the brake fluid flush. I bought the 3yr service plan ($1400) because it looks like it'll save me about $300. I didn't even get to drive the car to the dealer, my wife got the honors. So, I should be on the road with the "new" baby tomorrow. =)

Big THANKS to everyone for all the advice! I'll keep an eye out for brakes/rotor warping.
That sounds great. Enjoy!
Old 05-14-2015, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL550
Hey tdt & skw.. you were right the car does have distronic plus.. woohoo!

And Dreamz.. the cost of the 2nd key was actually $301 total.

got to drive it home from the dealer today.. it's so nice. i've had a bunch of different suv's.. jeep cherokee, 4runner, pathfinder, and currently an acura mdx. And this thing blows them out of the water.. not necessarily a fair comparison though when it twice as expensive. just waiting for amazon to deliver my toddler's new car seat (we both get to upgrade!) and the mdx goes to the in-laws.

for closure's sake... i did ask two separate dealers about wheels/tire package and both said it's only available when buying new. and i'll probably look into extending the warranty right before the original warranty expires. Doesn't make sense to pay for it now on the off chance something happens and I don't have the car in two years.

Thanks again to everyone for the help!
Old 05-14-2015, 02:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 - GL 550
Hey tdt & skw.. you were right the car does have distronic plus.. woohoo!

And Dreamz.. the cost of the 2nd key was actually $301 total.

got to drive it home from the dealer today.. it's so nice. i've had a bunch of different suv's.. jeep cherokee, 4runner, pathfinder, and currently an acura mdx. And this thing blows them out of the water.. not necessarily a fair comparison though when it twice as expensive. just waiting for amazon to deliver my toddler's new car seat (we both get to upgrade!) and the mdx goes to the in-laws.

for closure's sake... i did ask two separate dealers about wheels/tire package and both said it's only available when buying new. and i'll probably look into extending the warranty right before the original warranty expires. Doesn't make sense to pay for it now on the off chance something happens and I don't have the car in two years.

Thanks again to everyone for the help!

Congrats again for your ride...Have fun.
I am not sure if you can buy a Genuine Extended MB warranty basically its called (ELW) from Mercedes because I believe you can only buy if you are a new owner or if its a certified I may be wrong but check it out before its too late, and yes its always refundable in full or prorated depending when you cancel the coverage. Also matter of fact you can try Mercedes of Austin (Texas) those guys are cheapest and take that quote to your local dealer and see if they could match it if at all you are eligible.

And hey as the car is new and its BLACK why don't you get the car PPF XPEL for the full front and then Opti-Coat pro on rest of the body as the car is new these detail-er (Leeches) would charge you less because they just need a reason to charge 20+ hours at $50 a hr for the black color. I guarantee you as soon as you take it to a very pro detail-er by default he will look at your car and say ohh no it needs a stage 2 polish. So I would definitely recommend getting that done on black car because BLACK is not a color its a commitment (Black is a marriage. You really don't know what you're getting into before it's too late and you already own it. )

And post some pics

Thanks

Last edited by Dreamszalone; 05-14-2015 at 02:36 AM.