GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Help/Suggestions for "New" 2013 GL550 first time owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL550
Help/Suggestions for "New" 2013 GL550 first time owner

Looking for suggestions/help on what type of service/work to get done on a "new" 2013 GL550 that I bought at an auction. It has 26 miles on it. Not 26k, 26 miles. I just got it delivered and it looks brand new. I'm waiting on the title paperwork, so I can register and drive it. I was about to buy a Honda Odyssey, but got what I think was a great deal on this. So, now I'm a first time Benz owner. =)

My plan is to have the service B (2 year service) done by a local dealer once it's registered. But, any ideas as to other areas of concern on a Benz that hasn't been driven at all for the last 2 years would be greatly appreciated. The storage facility operator told me that he moved it and had it washed every month, so I'm not too worried about the tires having flat spots. But, not sure what else to have the dealer check out.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2015, 10:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 - GL 550
Congratulations and welcome to MBWorld....

The best thing I would say is as this Diesel get the pre-paid maintenance from the Dealer because you can now buy B-A-B service pack so you got 2 big "B" service and 1 small "A" service just ask the dealer wherever you plan on buying if they cover Ad-Blue and I would say just shop for the best price because they got some nice dealer margin on the price. And as its Diesel and not sure what state you from make sure you try to always use Highway Diesel (Non - Bio) or atleast the lowest Bio-Diesel with only 5% mix. If you don't have 5% Bio Diesel or Highway Diesel available in your area then make sure you keep changing your oil every 5000 miles without fail to avoid any warranty issues. And I live in Chicago area and this was the only reason I bought 550 and not 350 but anyway enjoy the ride and I am sure you will like the way it drives, let us know what is your build/options and how much you paid for it..
If incase Dealer is charging more for Ad-Blue just buy it from Walmart and fill it up and be cautious as the Ad-Blue is hard on plastic and paint.

And we have lot of experts here and could give more better suggestions.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:15 AM

2013 GL550
Hi Dreamsz.. Thanks for the 3yr pre-paid suggestion. I just came across a thread here that covered that and I'll shop around for prices. Mine isn't diesel (it's a 550, i don't think those come in diesel) but I'm still considering going for the maintenance pkg if it's at a decent discount. I figure if I go to the dealer and end up with some weird fluid gunk issue after they do the 2yr B service, then they're more likely to correct (hopefully for free/warranty) than a local mechanic. The car still has 2 yrs under the original warranty, I called Benz USA and confirmed.

I'm not a car guy, so I'm trying to figure out if there's stuff that just deteriorates without use.. tires, belts, brakes, johnson rod (seinfeld reference) that I need to worry about before driving my family around in it.

As for options from what I can tell so far.. it only has heated 2nd row seats since I see the buttons back there.

It doesn't have
- on/off road pkg: since there isn't a dial by the arm rest, just an open change compartment
- panorama roof: just 3 separate sunroofs over each row, I'm assuming panorama is a full glass ceiling
- no trailer hitch: would be nice, but can't justify what I read is a big cost after the fact
- no designo leather: it's getting a car seat, so upgraded leather isn't a big deal
- no rear entertainment, don't know if it's pre-wired

I don't know how to tell if it has the others since I haven't driven it yet (it's just sitting in the driveway)... driver assistance package, active curve, heated steering wheel.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-09-2015, 12:27 AM

2015 - GL 550
Originally Posted by dkaydkay
Hi Dreamsz.. Thanks for the 3yr pre-paid suggestion. I just came across a thread here that covered that and I'll shop around for prices. Mine isn't diesel (it's a 550, i don't think those come in diesel) but I'm still considering going for the maintenance pkg if it's at a decent discount. I figure if I go to the dealer and end up with some weird fluid gunk issue after they do the 2yr B service, then they're more likely to correct (hopefully for free/warranty) than a local mechanic. The car still has 2 yrs under the original warranty, I called Benz USA and confirmed.

I'm not a car guy, so I'm trying to figure out if there's stuff that just deteriorates without use.. tires, belts, brakes, johnson rod (seinfeld reference) that I need to worry about before driving my family around in it.

As for options from what I can tell so far.. it only has heated 2nd row seats since I see the buttons back there.

It doesn't have
- on/off road pkg: since there isn't a dial by the arm rest, just an open change compartment
- panorama roof: just 3 separate sunroofs over each row, I'm assuming panorama is a full glass ceiling
- no trailer hitch: would be nice, but can't justify what I read is a big cost after the fact
- no designo leather: it's getting a car seat, so upgraded leather isn't a big deal
- no rear entertainment, don't know if it's pre-wired

I don't know how to tell if it has the others since I haven't driven it yet (it's just sitting in the driveway)... driver assistance package, active curve, heated steering wheel.

Thanks for the reply!

My Bad I don't know how I missed the 550 anyways it happens.
I don't think having a car sitting idle would harm anything and I am not sure which state this car was parked, but I would definitely asked the dealer to check all the hoses and pipes for any deterioration and leaks and make sure you tell the Service Adviser it was parked and never driven I believe he would be surprised with this low miles but I have seen you gotta spoon feed this SA else they are dumb or lazy to do a write up on the work order. Below is the list I will ask him to go through.

1) Check all the hoses.
2) Check the drive belts & Axle boots.
3) Check the fuel lines etc.
4) I believe in B Service they change the Brake oil so ask the SA if he gonna change it if not then you get it changed.
5) Change any other related fluids if possible such as Differential fluid front and rear.
6) And as it is summer obviously get the AC checked out and Freon.
7) And also the filters Air & Cabin.

And as the Truck is new follow the break in procedure you can read it in Manual in short don't drive like you stole , first 1000-1500 miles pamper it and be gentle those couple of thousand miles.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2015, 12:44 AM

2013 GL550
No worries. Thanks for the info.. i did the vin decoder info at this link I found on another thread http://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Mercedes-Benz

And it also lists Distronic Plus as an option on the car... I'll have to figure out if I actually have it once I get to start driving it. =)
Old 05-09-2015, 04:48 AM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
Did you verify this wasn't a dealer buy back, dropped off the delivery truck, etc or if it is available for MB warranty extension?

24 miles on a 2-3 year old car would raise some questions for me. What was the reason given when you asked why it had such mileage?
Old 05-09-2015, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Congrats and welcome to the forum.

If the car has only 26 miles on ODO - I don't think it needs any service at this point, but check everything. I would change engine oil. Also I suggest to check service records to make sure it was not any kind of buy back vehicle. I hope it was not, but if it's true - just make sure you have a factory warranty and when it ends.
I can't imagine any scenario why somebody got the car and put it in a storage. Sure, some rich people are very strange and may enjoy the car just looking at it, but it sounds very weird I hope you will drive it sometimes

Enjoy your car. It's a great vehicle.

P.S. Don't forget to post pictures ....

Last edited by aeggroup; 05-09-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:03 AM

2013 GL550
Thanks AEG.. Supposedly it was a govt seizure and has been at the storage facility for the last 2 years while they were unsuccessfully auctioning it. Until I bought it. The people at the auction and the storage facility owner didn't have any more information to give me.

The storage facility owner that dropped it off thought the same thing as you, just get an oil change and enjoy it. But, I've decided to go ahead and get the 2yr service B done to be safe and likely buy the 3yr service pkg. Neither Benz USA or the local dealer found any service records when they searched the vin.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 GLS450, Previously 2017 GLS450, 2014 GL450, 2012 GL450
Seems like you do have the panorama sunroof. The standard roof is just one sunroof while the panorama is three.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, how much did it run you? (If you don't want to share, I completely understand).
Old 05-09-2015, 11:17 AM

2013 GL550
Oh.. Forgot to mention that it only came with one key.. so i have to pay the dealer for a second. =P

Here are some pics. I'm assuming the on/off road dial would be in the center arm rest if I had it. But, I have a small change container there instead.
Attached Thumbnails Help/Suggestions for "New" 2013 GL550 first time owner-gl550-front.jpg   Help/Suggestions for "New" 2013 GL550 first time owner-gl-550-back.jpg   Help/Suggestions for "New" 2013 GL550 first time owner-gl550-odo.jpg   Help/Suggestions for "New" 2013 GL550 first time owner-gl550-center.jpg  
Old 05-09-2015, 11:26 AM

2013 GL550
Hi ah.. i'm realizing i have the panorama roof now. I initially did a quick google image search and assumed that the panorama on the GL was like the other sedans and a huge roof length window. woohoo =)

I pretty happy on price I paid. $65k. It seems like the same price I would have to pay for a CPO one with 10-15k miles on it. I wasn't even the original winning bidder. The winning bidder didn't pay for it, so they called me as the backup bidder. Plus, there was no buyer's premium/fee and I was allowed to put as much as I wanted on credit cards at no extra charge. So, I'm getting a bunch of points. =)
Old 05-09-2015, 11:53 AM

2013 GL550
Hi Mike.. i don't know much about dealer buy-backs. the auction guy told me that there items can come from different depts of the govt.. this one came from secret service and these cars are typically seizures or purchased for use by the dept. But that they don't ever get specific information on any of the items they auction.

When I called mercedes they verified that the original warranty runs though July 2017. I didn't think to ask if I can purchase an extended warranty. I'll ask about extending the warranty when I take the car in. But mercedes said that the only record they had on the vin was the original sale being in TX, July 2013. My insurance company and the benz dealer said they couldn't find any information on the vin either. Would dealer buy back info be available from a dealer or my insurance?
Old 05-09-2015, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL550
Cool story - maybe a stash of cash in one of the door panels

I'd get the service done too - ask for the price on the package before initiating the service request.

What auction site was it from?
Old 05-09-2015, 02:06 PM

2015 - GL 550
Hi ah.. i'm realizing i have the panorama roof now. I initially did a quick google image search and assumed that the panorama on the GL was like the other sedans and a huge roof length window. woohoo =)

I pretty happy on price I paid. $65k. It seems like the same price I would have to pay for a CPO one with 10-15k miles on it. I wasn't even the original winning bidder. The winning bidder didn't pay for it, so they called me as the backup bidder. Plus, there was no buyer's premium/fee and I was allowed to put as much as I wanted on credit cards at no extra charge. So, I'm getting a bunch of points. =)

Wow thats a steal deal $65K for a brand new car kool who cares about the year If you are the first owner thats it.

And how much the 2nd key costed you·
Old 05-09-2015, 04:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 GLS450, Previously 2017 GLS450, 2014 GL450, 2012 GL450

That's a killer deal!! I'm super jealous lol. Congrats! Hope the car is great in the long run.

I'd buy extended warranty for the heck of it. The MSRP is about 97k on that car.

Also, as for the gov't seized property. It could very well be someone bought it and tried exporting it outside the US, and customs blocked it. But just a guess.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:57 PM

2013 GL550
Thanks for the replies.

Hey Dalema.. the auction was the live person auction from

http://www.treasury.gov/auctions/treasury/gp/

They have online car auctions, but this was the in person only auction. It was mostly electronics and gold coins/jewelry. But they had two cars. Mine and a 2013 BMW X5 with only 100 miles on it. The winning bid for that was $44k. And yes.. my buddies all want me to take apart the door panels and look for hidden treasure. haha

Dreamsz.. I'm being charged $330 for the new key. Do you know if key fobs are the only options? I remember a former co-worker having an SL and he had a credit card that went in his wallet and didn't carry around a key at all..

Ah.. i guess i'll never know what happened but get to speculate forever.. and just be thankful it worked out and i get to drive this beast instead of a minivan. =)

aeg.. and the carfax only listed the sale and title of the car in 2013 with 10 miles on it.. no records after that.. i'm assuming if the dealer bought it back, there would be another carfax record.. but, I guess i'll never know.. no salvage, no accident reports. i hear carfax records can be doctored, but considering this wasn't a used car guy trying to resell it, I'm going to just choose to believe I got really lucky. Cheers!
Old 05-09-2015, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,105 Likes on 810 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I would treat the tank with Stabil Marine Formula - 1/2 of that $9 bottle - which will clean up tank/injection/and tank/injection sensors.

Please understand - on your service question - let me suggest this:

1) Get Service A done - and when they check in your GL550 with that VIN in the Sat system that will flag any software and/or mechanical campaigns

2) Note your service remindaer for 10K service will still come up in 1yr from service date and/or at 10K miles on the odo - that doesn't change

3) When you decide/later to do service B next - that's when you consider 3-pack - because that 3-pack will get you B/20K + A/30K + B-plus/40K

I am just trying to get you some savings on a "pack" - makes better sense to buy the 3-pack when you will do B/A/B - and I don't suggest you go with B 1st off - no need - your filters are all poly and haven't broken down like old-school-paper filters.

With the 13 GL550's - depending on production date - there were owner issues with rotors/pads - a contamination thing - leading to many encountering "pulsating" - or "warped" feeling as they get reasonable miles.

I am not saying you will have this issue - but do not be surprised - frankly you will find out on that forward - please understand that MB new car warranty warranty will cover this GL550 - easiest if it happens up to 15K miles which does not require MB corp/warranty review approval - and after 15K miles requires MB case review/approval.

On "retail buy-back/lemon law cars - that would appear on final title docs you get - if it's not there then you're "clean".

No reason to consider extending new car warranty until approaching 4yr in-service date from original sale - or 50K - whichever comes 1st.

You might ask dealer about cost/if-they-can-do Wheel+Tire Coverage - GL550 for two reasons - 1st those low profile/wide tires tend to pickup sidewall punctures or pinch/flat on potholes more easily than higher sidewall tires - and original tires do not have Road Hazard - and with wider/lower GL550 wheels tend to get scraped up easier.

If it was me, sitting for 2yrs, I would consider a polish job - you could do your own hand-polish easily with a 6oz/8oz bottle of Novus brand #2 plastic polish - it is a wipe on no-haze product - I am not a fan of a electric buff abrasive polish on the ceramic clear-coat - as I have seen down "average" or "good" detailers - who buff too-fast/too-hard with too agressive polish that they learn to do on American cars.

Keep the beat !
Old 05-09-2015, 10:56 PM

2013 GL550
hi fabbrisd.. thanks for the advice. it's much appreciated!
Old 05-10-2015, 06:06 AM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
Looking at the pics, doesn't the solid MB symbol in front indicate Distronic?
Old 05-10-2015, 11:40 PM

2013 GL550
hi skw, does it? I did a vin search at http://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Mercedes-Benz that I found on another thread and it listed options, but I assumed that was just the available options on the car, not what was actually on the car. But, it did list the panorama sunroof as well.. so you may be right. woohoo =) I'm still waiting on the title paperwork to actually register and drive the car.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:25 PM

2013 GL550
Argh!!! So, the paperwork I got from the auction isn't a title, it's a govt "certificate to obtain a title". I went to the local DMV and they said they have to take it and the title/registration application and mail it to the state headquarters and I'll get everything in the mail. And they couldn't tell me how long it will take. So, it's gonna be awhile before I can drive the "new" car. :/
Old 05-11-2015, 07:48 PM

2015 - GL 550
Argh!!! So, the paperwork I got from the auction isn't a title, it's a govt "certificate to obtain a title". I went to the local DMV and they said they have to take it and the title/registration application and mail it to the state headquarters and I'll get everything in the mail. And they couldn't tell me how long it will take. So, it's gonna be awhile before I can drive the "new" car. :/
Awww thats sad I can feel it man its right there in front of you but you cant drive it, anyways my 2 cents advice, if the dealership is close by why dont you just it and get the service done and by the time title comes you are done with your service....if for some XYZ reason get pulled over show the Cop auction papers.

I am sure your car must be way experienced sitting at one place and she still aint tired..

Thanks
Old 05-12-2015, 02:29 AM
skw

2019 GLS450
hi skw, does it? I did a vin search at http://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Mercedes-Benz that I found on another thread and it listed options, but I assumed that was just the available options on the car, not what was actually on the car. But, it did list the panorama sunroof as well.. so you may be right. woohoo =) I'm still waiting on the title paperwork to actually register and drive the car.
I want to say that it does. There was an ML that we had looked at this past winter that had it and it had the solid star in front. Also, the "illuminated star" is not available for vehicles for vehicles w/ Distronic. I don't have that option so I'm not sure what the exact menu looks like. I would think that if you go into the car and scroll through the menu in the instrument cluster using the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel, you should see it in there if you have it.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:31 AM
skw

2019 GLS450
Originally Posted by Dreamszalone
Awww thats sad I can feel it man its right there in front of you but you cant drive it, anyways my 2 cents advice, if the dealership is close by why dont you just it and get the service done and by the time title comes you are done with your service....if for some XYZ reason get pulled over show the Cop auction papers.

I am sure your car must be way experienced sitting at one place and she still aint tired..

Thanks
+1 for just driving it to the dealer w/ your paperwork in hand in case of a run in w/ the cops. If it is a longer distance or you're uncomfortable doing so, trying call MB roadside assist or if you have AAA and have a flatbed tow it in.

Last edited by skw; 05-14-2015 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:43 PM

2013 GL550
Well... went to DMV today with picture of the vin.. today's lady didn't know why I was told the paperwork had to go elsewhere.. walked over to a supervisor and 7 minutes later I walked out with title, registration and plates. Woohoo!!

So, for anyone in NJ that buys a car from a govt auction and receives a "Certificate to Obtain a Title".. just know that a local DMV can and should be able to title and register the car.

Just dropped it off for service at the dealer. Going for the B service just to be safe since it also includes the brake fluid flush. I bought the 3yr service plan ($1400) because it looks like it'll save me about $300. I didn't even get to drive the car to the dealer, my wife got the honors. So, I should be on the road with the "new" baby tomorrow. =)

Big THANKS to everyone for all the advice! I'll keep an eye out for brakes/rotor warping.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help/Suggestions for "New" 2013 GL550 first time owner