GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

QX80 vs. Gl450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Honda Civic
QX80 vs. Gl450

Hi guys,

So i have basically narrowed down my choice for a new suv to the Infiniti QX80 and the Mercedes Gl450. After driving both, I noticed that the Gl450 was the better "driver's car" and was just overall a better driving experience. However, I really liked how plush and rich the QX80's interior felt. My question is, what pushed you over to buy the GL? in my eyes I feel like both cars are roughly even and I would love to hear what you guys think.

CHeers,
Sri
Old 09-27-2015, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I am grateful you have test driven both - and as you have aptly observed you have found the GL to be the better "driver's car" - and in my experience becomes even more important to me when I drive on less-than-ideal-to-downright-scary-road/conditions - and how I enjoy more, the more I drive...

That's the "feature" I value most - and you have the choice to move to GL350BT if you would like 500 mile range/fewer fill up's - that does not necessarily means highway roamers - a lot of suburbanites have find the BT awesome with the daily family running around that gets done..

Keep the beat !
Old 09-28-2015, 12:15 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
I am grateful you have test driven both - and as you have aptly observed you have found the GL to be the better "driver's car" - and in my experience becomes even more important to me when I drive on less-than-ideal-to-downright-scary-road/conditions - and how I enjoy more, the more I drive...

That's the "feature" I value most - and you have the choice to move to GL350BT if you would like 500 mile range/fewer fill up's - that does not necessarily means highway roamers - a lot of suburbanites have find the BT awesome with the daily family running around that gets done..

Keep the beat !

I'm starting to be afraid of the diesel german cars now. I suspect more or less all the german companies have cheated on their emission to pass the impossibly hard to match testing regulations.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Originally Posted by jtse
I'm starting to be afraid of the diesel german cars now. I suspect more or less all the german companies have cheated on their emission to pass the impossibly hard to match testing regulations.
Nobody will remember this scandal after 2-3 years. GM had their problems, Toyota also had some issues - do you remember them ? And where is all of this today.....
MB actually issued a statement about their diesel technology compliance and desire to fully cooperate with any government if any testing needed.

P.S. Here is another example of what MB thinks : http://finance.yahoo.com/news/merced...095401574.html

Last edited by aeggroup; 09-28-2015 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:07 AM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by srivat036
However, I really liked how plush and rich the QX80's interior felt.
Two thoughts on GL interior options to plush things up:

1) Designo

- or -

2) Special order option U06 (MB-Tex lower dash and door panels). You will not see this on the MB website but it is an special order option when ordering. The GL already has stitched MB-Tex on the upper dashboard but this option, which Designo includes, adds it to the lower dash and door panels. Considering this was standard on the ML400 I'm mildly shocked it is not standard on the GL.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
Two thoughts on GL interior options to plush things up:

1) Designo

- or -

2) Special order option U06 (MB-Tex lower dash and door panels). You will not see this on the MB website but it is an special order option when ordering. The GL already has stitched MB-Tex on the upper dashboard but this option, which Designo includes, adds it to the lower dash and door panels. Considering this was standard on the ML400 I'm mildly shocked it is not standard on the GL.

+1

Designo option really puts the GL into another league.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just bought a 2013 GL450 yesterday. We have a family of 7 including three tall teens. I looked at everything available that seats 7+. I primarily bought the GL because it had the best leg/foot room in the third row seating of anything. That includes the Suburban/Yukon XL, which is what I have been driving. The QX80 is very nice inside, as you noticed, but the third row is useless for adults or larger kids. You may not care about the third row seat, but that was a deal breaker for me.

One more thought for you. Before you buy anything, check out the 2016 Volvo XC90. We drove a used 2014 GL550 at a Volvo/Land Rover dealer and then got in a loaded out Volvo and it was quite impressive. Very "plush" to borrow your term. Nicer than the MB in a lot of ways. Seating was excellent. It drove really well. Technology is impressive. It has a supercharged and turbocharged 4 cylinder that gets 20/25 mpg. Power is not up to bi-turbo V8 standards, but not bad. Price point wasn't bad either. I might have bought one, but I don't like the rapid depreciation you have to tolerate when buying new cars.

Best of luck!
Old 10-03-2015, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 GL450
A few years ago, we switched from a X164 to a QX56 (QX80's older bro). The Infiniti is a nice vehicle with many cool tech features and a solid V8 engine. The three things that I didn't like about the QX56 were: drove too big (for my wife), it did not handle as well as the MB (not as surefooted), and the over all build quality was not as solid (felt a little clunky, if that makes any sense). You're right though, the Infiniti is more plush on the inside and the seats are more comfortable. I haven't driven the new QX so things may have improved. Either way, you can't go wrong.
Maintenance at the dealer is cheaper for the Infiniti than the MB. If you're a DIYer like me, then it's pretty much a wash.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:58 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Originally Posted by txjeep
I primarily bought the GL because it had the best leg/foot room in the third row seating of anything. That includes the Suburban/Yukon XL, which is what I have been driving.
Pre 2015 facelift? The new GM 3rd row, especially with 2nd row bucket seat option, feels much more spacious to me than the GL
Old 10-05-2015, 02:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jenz
Pre 2015 facelift? The new GM 3rd row, especially with 2nd row bucket seat option, feels much more spacious to me than the GL
I should qualify my statement. Width wise, the GM has more room than the GL, but I was speaking specifically to leg/foot room. With the second row buckets, the GM has sufficient leg/foot room in the third row (with two people back there), because you can put your feet in the aisle. I have five kids from 4 to 17, with one in a car seat, three teens, and one with a size 12 shoe. With three people in the third row, it is very tight, so we needed a second row bench, not buckets. I rode in the third row of a 2015 Yukon XL Denali with second row bench seat and I had to turn my right foot sideways to get it flat on the floor, because it would not go under the seat in front. On the other hand, I can sit comfortably in the third row of the GL, as it is actually designed for adults. If you have small kids, and less than five of them, the GM is fine, especially if you have second row buckets.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:48 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2002 C4 Cab, 2014 Audi A5 cab, 2017 X5 35d
For most of the summer months I drive my GL 350 only occasionally as I have another summer only daily driver. Each time I get back into my GL I am reminded of why I chose it over other competitors. It's the most comfortable, safe and reliable over the road vehicle out there with the possible exception of the S class.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by jtse
That's like saying everybody who has a gun is a murderer!
Old 11-01-2015, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GL450
Originally Posted by anothercar
That's like saying everybody who has a gun is a murderer!
There is a significant difference in technology between the units that VW play games and the ones that even within VW were not affected.

In a nutshell, ( will not go into the technical specific details,) the VW concern is around trying to avoid the use of DEF and additional after treatment components that benefit the environment but not without a toll to engine performance. On this regard all things fair MB/Daimler, (or BMW,) did not went that route all their diesel engine aftertreatment includes DEF use and the extra aftertreament components.

Let us not forget also that recently both Daimler and BMW had offer assistance to VW to solve their shortcoming despite the fact that they compete in certain segments of the market. All in the spirit of protecting the reputation of the German car industry. I spend a week in Germany the first week of Ocotber, at the Airport Equipment Trade show, and this subject was very much on every technical discussion!

There is a real space for diesel engines on passenger vehicles and VW will resolve this concern. The sad part is the image damage that is been casted over all passenger diesel vehicles based on this action from VW.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:58 PM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
Originally Posted by jd41326
There is a significant difference in technology between the units that VW play games and the ones that even within VW were not affected.

In a nutshell, ( will not go into the technical specific details,) the VW concern is around trying to avoid the use of DEF and additional after treatment components that benefit the environment but not without a toll to engine performance. On this regard all things fair MB/Daimler, (or BMW,) did not went that route all their diesel engine aftertreatment includes DEF use and the extra aftertreament components.

Let us not forget also that recently both Daimler and BMW had offer assistance to VW to solve their shortcoming despite the fact that they compete in certain segments of the market. All in the spirit of protecting the reputation of the German car industry. I spend a week in Germany the first week of Ocotber, at the Airport Equipment Trade show, and this subject was very much on every technical discussion!

There is a real space for diesel engines on passenger vehicles and VW will resolve this concern. The sad part is the image damage that is been casted over all passenger diesel vehicles based on this action from VW.
Two very good points. People now get taken aback at the mention of diesel. The issue is only w/ the 4 cyl engines they were able to sell here w/o the use of the adblue fluid. A few years ago Mazda announced to have a diesel option in the then new Mazda 6 for the US market. They were not able to get it to meet the emissions standards w/ the DEF and complex system that goes along w/ it. Once all those components are placed on the vehicle, it reduced performance and increased cost. End result is no Mazda 6 diesel here.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:41 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450

Originally Posted by skw
Two very good points. People now get taken aback at the mention of diesel. The issue is only w/ the 4 cyl engines they were able to sell here w/o the use of the adblue fluid..
The 2014/2015 Passat involved in the recall certainly does use ad blu.

I have one.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:10 PM

In the news today..........VW diesel issue also involves 3L V6 diesels in Porsche Cayenne and numerous Audi models (A-6,7,8 and Q5). Tip of the iceberg??