GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Comparison....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Comparison....

Its been a while since I've been back....but have a strong connection to this forum ( after owning the first GL and then two more after that one )....anyway , as some of you know I left the MB world and bought a 2015 Escalade.....after 15k on the meter for the Escalade....here's my take: the GL ( speaking with ref to my last GL which was a 2013) has it beat on 3rd row seats, quietness, paint quality, transmission smoothness. The Caddy is an equal in overall luxury, beats on leather quality and overall space, beats on electronic user interface (v. Command system ) , beats on gas mileage and 4WD capability. The tire/wheel (22) combo while bigger than I want...has worked well, at 15k no sign of wear on the Bridgestones. The worst on the Caddy.....the 8spd tranny is herky jerky....and, the rear cam is crap! Really neat? the power fold out running boards that are truly helpful in getting in and out and then fold up and disappear! Really nice....Caddy is taking care of all required services for the first 4yr/50k miles. The Escalade forum is kind of "dead"..... miss you guys!
Old 11-16-2015, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Hi blittle.

Nice to see you again. I'm glad you enjoy your Caddy. I really like EXT Slade also, but won't get it until they offer diesel version. Drive carefully

P.S. You are always welcome back to MB forum
Old 11-16-2015, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by aeggroup
Hi blittle.

Nice to see you again. I'm glad you enjoy your Caddy. I really like EXT Slade also, but won't get it until they offer diesel version. Drive carefully

P.S. You are always welcome back to MB forum
Thanks....cars are cars....I love these forums, the best thing to remember is don't get addicted to one variety or the other....before I moved to MB I was a dedicated GMC guy, spent 6 years with MB then went to the Escalade....love em all and am grateful that I can financially move from one to another as I determine what suits best!

I am interested in how the V6 is working out ?
Old 11-17-2015, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL550 2013 ESV Platinum 2008 Hummer H2 LE UM
Hey Blittle

I feel ya on the Cadillac forum, the traffic was significantly less than last year when they introducing the new year model.

Hopefully, if they come out with something exciting then things will keep moving.

I agree with the transmission, and I keep telling the dealer its not fix and they won't listen.

I will try again. But I really want to see the new CTS-V with that transmission.

MB forum is great to talk to people.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
These old GL lovers can't run away completely. This forum is a great place, full of intelligent, humorous, passionate fans. The RAM forums are crazy, covering too much spectrum, and with so many more owners I frankly can't keep up.

Blittle, what's up? Only 15,000 miles on that baby? Since I went from 3 vehicles for 2 drivers down to 2 vehicles for 2 drives, I already have 15,000 miles on my Ram 2500 Cummins Limited.

I can also give a compare of my experience. First, I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the ride, safety features (blind spot, distronic, presafe brake, etc) and head turn appeal of my old 2013 GL. A 3/4 ton pickup can't compare even with the air shocks.

My new truck is the limited with an MSRP of >$70K, so it's a high end RAM diesel. I get between 19 and 23 mpg when I'm not pulling. I can put 20% biodiesel in without concern. It of course pulls anything I need it to.

I think it is worthwhile to share some of the user conveniences that I have on my Ram, that aren't yet available on the GL/GLS. The phone app has auto start/stop. It works great, and is very helpful on hot/cold days. If the weather is below 45 degrees it turns on the heated steering wheel and heated seat when it starts. If it's above 75 degrees it turns on the ventilated seats. I love this and use it often. Oh, and while MB says it can't heat the wood part of the steering wheel (so you get an all leather wheel with heated steering), Ram has figured out how to do this.

I love that the entertainment center reads texts messages to me when they arrive. And a simple push of a button it will listen and let me reply. I find the voice recognition superior to the COMAND. The navigation is Garmin based, so if you have a garmin you will be comfortable with it. The screen is touch screen, as I mentioned voice command is good, I don't miss the puck at all! Updating the system is as simple as going to a web site, downloading new software onto a USB stick and plugging it into the USB slot in the truck. No need to go to the dealer. The dash console is similar in ability to the GL, but a lot more programmable with ability to choose different gauges and features (temp, time, etc) all the time.

It seems really simple, but having a gauge on the DEF tank is really handy. The tank needs to be filled about every 7500 miles, We have several fuel stations here that pump it just like you pump gas, very simple and cheap! Oil changes are much like the GL - running about 10,000 miles between service. I won't ever get a MB Bluetec again, unless they change their position on biodiesel, but they should have a DEF gauge.

The cab isn't as quiet as the GL of course, but I find it remarkably quiet for a pickup and much improved over my 2006 RAM. I find the limited leather seats to be as comfortable and configurable as the GL. I like the other interior appointments with the exception of no cover on a big storage tub between the driver's and passenger seats. I must not have been alone in that opinion as the 2016 has an rollaway cover like the GL. Exterior paint is clearly not as good as the GL. I have black and can see some imperfections that would never pass through MB factory inspections.

As I mentioned, I have 15,000 miles on my RAM. I had one small assembly issue with a seat leather that was fixed in the first 1,000 miles. I have had one oil change, no other issues.

I think I made the right decision to go to 2 vehicles. I will now be high mileage on my cars, but the Cummins engine has a reputation for going for many miles, so I'm not too worried about it from a reliability standpoint. I will likely keep the vehicle for 10+ years so depreciation will eventually level out.

I guess that's it for now, take care everyone, looking forward to watching the GLS over the years.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB GLS550/BMW 550/2017 Acura NSX
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
These old GL lovers can't run away completely. This forum is a great place, full of intelligent, humorous, passionate fans. The RAM forums are crazy, covering too much spectrum, and with so many more owners I frankly can't keep up.

Blittle, what's up? Only 15,000 miles on that baby? Since I went from 3 vehicles for 2 drivers down to 2 vehicles for 2 drives, I already have 15,000 miles on my Ram 2500 Cummins Limited.

I can also give a compare of my experience. First, I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the ride, safety features (blind spot, distronic, presafe brake, etc) and head turn appeal of my old 2013 GL. A 3/4 ton pickup can't compare even with the air shocks.

My new truck is the limited with an MSRP of >$70K, so it's a high end RAM diesel. I get between 19 and 23 mpg when I'm not pulling. I can put 20% biodiesel in without concern. It of course pulls anything I need it to.

I think it is worthwhile to share some of the user conveniences that I have on my Ram, that aren't yet available on the GL/GLS. The phone app has auto start/stop. It works great, and is very helpful on hot/cold days. If the weather is below 45 degrees it turns on the heated steering wheel and heated seat when it starts. If it's above 75 degrees it turns on the ventilated seats. I love this and use it often. Oh, and while MB says it can't heat the wood part of the steering wheel (so you get an all leather wheel with heated steering), Ram has figured out how to do this.

I love that the entertainment center reads texts messages to me when they arrive. And a simple push of a button it will listen and let me reply. I find the voice recognition superior to the COMAND. The navigation is Garmin based, so if you have a garmin you will be comfortable with it. The screen is touch screen, as I mentioned voice command is good, I don't miss the puck at all! Updating the system is as simple as going to a web site, downloading new software onto a USB stick and plugging it into the USB slot in the truck. No need to go to the dealer. The dash console is similar in ability to the GL, but a lot more programmable with ability to choose different gauges and features (temp, time, etc) all the time.

It seems really simple, but having a gauge on the DEF tank is really handy. The tank needs to be filled about every 7500 miles, We have several fuel stations here that pump it just like you pump gas, very simple and cheap! Oil changes are much like the GL - running about 10,000 miles between service. I won't ever get a MB Bluetec again, unless they change their position on biodiesel, but they should have a DEF gauge.

The cab isn't as quiet as the GL of course, but I find it remarkably quiet for a pickup and much improved over my 2006 RAM. I find the limited leather seats to be as comfortable and configurable as the GL. I like the other interior appointments with the exception of no cover on a big storage tub between the driver's and passenger seats. I must not have been alone in that opinion as the 2016 has an rollaway cover like the GL. Exterior paint is clearly not as good as the GL. I have black and can see some imperfections that would never pass through MB factory inspections.

As I mentioned, I have 15,000 miles on my RAM. I had one small assembly issue with a seat leather that was fixed in the first 1,000 miles. I have had one oil change, no other issues.

I think I made the right decision to go to 2 vehicles. I will now be high mileage on my cars, but the Cummins engine has a reputation for going for many miles, so I'm not too worried about it from a reliability standpoint. I will likely keep the vehicle for 10+ years so depreciation will eventually level out.

I guess that's it for now, take care everyone, looking forward to watching the GLS over the years.
Thanks for popping in and giving us your thoughts.

I find it ridiculous frankly that Ram has no problem putting those features in a pick-up truck that spends most of it;s time hauling hay, and that MB can't figure out how to add those requested features to the GL, whose price tag climbs to well over $100K+ and is a vehicle that many heads of state/captain of industry people ride in.

C'mon MB, get with the times.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:36 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Originally Posted by blittle
The worst on the Caddy.....the 8spd tranny is herky jerky
IIRC there's a flash out in the recent weeks for the transmission, not sure if it cures the jerks but worth a shot
Old 11-17-2015, 08:53 PM

'15 GL450
Put some spinners on those 22s and we can cruisin' on the streets of Compton, bro! Sorry, couldn't resist. Seriously though, welcome back.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 11-17-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When one of those RAM diesel's pulls up along side me, it's always fun to hear that Cummins "rumble!" Makes on think "truck" for sure...and I have always said ( and my wife shudders ) that somehow in my life I missed out on owning a truck....guess that's why i enjoy the "Slade!" Glad you are enjoying the "beast!".....certainly not devoid of luxury!!!

My MB dealer is still the best all around dealership, i ever worked with!
Old 11-18-2015, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
Thanks for popping in and giving us your thoughts.

I find it ridiculous frankly that Ram has no problem putting those features in a pick-up truck that spends most of it;s time hauling hay, and that MB can't figure out how to add those requested features to the GL, whose price tag climbs to well over $100K+ and is a vehicle that many heads of state/captain of industry people ride in.

C'mon MB, get with the times.
I couldn't agree more. In my 12+ years of owning an MB I came to the realization that leading edge (or in some cases even average) electronics wasn't going to be available.

I do think the MB has led the way in blind spot, presave brake, distronic, rain sensing windshields. However, these features are now available in many mid-range SUVs.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 280 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
Its been a while since I've been back....but have a strong connection to this forum ( after owning the first GL and then two more after that one )....anyway , as some of you know I left the MB world and bought a 2015 Escalade.....after 15k on the meter for the Escalade....here's my take: the GL ( speaking with ref to my last GL which was a 2013) has it beat on 3rd row seats, quietness, paint quality, transmission smoothness. The Caddy is an equal in overall luxury, beats on leather quality and overall space, beats on electronic user interface (v. Command system ) , beats on gas mileage and 4WD capability. The tire/wheel (22) combo while bigger than I want...has worked well, at 15k no sign of wear on the Bridgestones. The worst on the Caddy.....the 8spd tranny is herky jerky....and, the rear cam is crap! Really neat? the power fold out running boards that are truly helpful in getting in and out and then fold up and disappear! Really nice....Caddy is taking care of all required services for the first 4yr/50k miles. The Escalade forum is kind of "dead"..... miss you guys!
Hi Brad,
Nice to hear from you. I was talking to Tony at MB of Lancaster and he said they miss seeing you. You should stop in and say hello when you over that way. Good to hear you like your Caddy. Did you read about the new 9-speed tranny coming to the GLS in the spring? And there is a new shade of red coming (no more Cinnabar). There is a separate forum for the GLS now.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I couldn't agree more. In my 12+ years of owning an MB I came to the realization that leading edge (or in some cases even average) electronics wasn't going to be available.

I do think the MB has led the way in blind spot, presave brake, distronic, rain sensing windshields. However, these features are now available in many mid-range SUVs.
Good to hear from you to Jim. Glad to hear you are enjoying your new RAM.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JoeMa
Hi Brad,
Nice to hear from you. I was talking to Tony at MB of Lancaster and he said they miss seeing you. You should stop in and say hello when you over that way. Good to hear you like your Caddy. Did you read about the new 9-speed tranny coming to the GLS in the spring? And there is a new shade of red coming (no more Cinnabar). There is a separate forum for the GLS now.
Hi Joe! MB of Lancaster is the the best I've worked with , although Kelly Cadillac is a close second.....

Yes i have read about the 9 spd.....it will be interesting to see how it works out....I think we all know that the move to 7,8,9 etc. has been an attempt to meet the CAFE requirements...that, as well as the move to super charged v6 engines. Unfortunately....the reality of the transmission is that they ( MB and others ) have introduced a computer controlled complexity that has to compensate for so many variables and they simply don't do that smoothly 100% of the time.

I'll have to take a peak at the GLS forum...
Old 11-20-2015, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brad, this is the new designo Hyacinth Red Metallic for the GLS. Definitely a lighter shade of red.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brad, this is the new designo Hyacinth Red Metallic for the GLS. Definitely a lighter shade of red.

Lighter indeed! For me .....the Cinnabar was classy, got good comments on it all the time.....I don't think I would be liking that new shade
Old 11-21-2015, 06:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lighter indeed! For me .....the Cinnabar was classy, got good comments on it all the time.....I don't think I would be liking that new shade
More of a Ferrari red. Germans love sports cars so no surprise.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:15 AM

GL550
Great to hear from you - glad things are going well. We cured the lack of V8 by moving into the GL550. Don't regret it for a minute and love it. We cross shopped a lot in the segment and really liked the luxury interior and entertainment interface of the Caddy, but GL won out in the end based on ride and quality.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dalema
Great to hear from you - glad things are going well. We cured the lack of V8 by moving into the GL550. Don't regret it for a minute and love it. We cross shopped a lot in the segment and really liked the luxury interior and entertainment interface of the Caddy, but GL won out in the end based on ride and quality.
Agree....the "truck like" ride of the Escalade was better for me in the long run because of what i gained in overall "cargo space" and where I go with it.....if I had stayed with MB, I would have needed the 550 with the Off Road Package....which almost seems to be in the "oxymoron" category! Enjoy that 550....I would have a hard time dropping back to a 6 in any large vehicle.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

More of a Ferrari red. Germans love sports cars so no surprise.

Good call .... very much so!
Old 11-21-2015, 11:25 PM

2015 GL550 2013 ESV Platinum 2008 Hummer H2 LE UM
Oh boy. If the FHP or local Florida police dept see that hot red color on the highways, you will be getting a ticket so quick.