GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Problem with my GL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GL 350
Problem with my GL

I have 2015 GL350 I bought brand new. Less than 9500 miles and I am having a big issue. Sometimes the transmission want shift smoothly from 1st gear to the 2nd gear and 3rd. When it shifts, the RPM goes to 4000-5000 range. When this happens, if I shut it down and start again the problem goes away.

I have taken the vehicle to the dealer twice (including today) and they are saying nothing is wrong and there are no error codes in the computer etc: This has become a real problem now as this is happening frequently now. I have recorded this behavior and intend to show it to the dealer again. Before I take it again, what are my options? I feel there is a big problem and dealer is not addressing it saying there are no error codes etc to find a problem.

Another issue the dealer fixed today was the AC started making a hissing noise. There was leak in the system and they replaced few parts and refilled the AC. Bought brand new and AC has a leak. I feel as if the build quality is crap and for the money i spent it useless.......
Old 01-15-2016, 10:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
You really don't have many options---diagnosing by symptom is very difficult because the symptom is or could be random-------and on top of that what ever is causing the problem has not caused a fault.

What you may want to suggest to the dealer management is that they keep the car for a couple of days trying to duplicate the symptom---while you are driving a loner car
Old 01-15-2016, 03:19 PM

2015 GL 350
I guess thats the best option i have. I already have a cell phone video to show them whats going on. Probably take it again to the dealer and see what they will do.

Last option been getting rid of it if the problem is not resolved.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:48 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
Video will help greatly.

And every car manufactured today has the potential to have issues like this, regardless of how much they cost. It's a mechanical machine, parts fail. So far, it's nothing chronic.

Good luck.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:46 PM

I love my 2016 gl350
When the RPM goes to 4000, is your foot on the gas peddle at the same time?
Is it possible that your fingers are hitting the manual shift flaps behind the steering wheel causing the gear to shift to a higher level?
I had that happen to me when I first drove my R years ago.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 - GL 550
Originally Posted by roshanlenora
I have 2015 GL350 I bought brand new. Less than 9500 miles and I am having a big issue. Sometimes the transmission want shift smoothly from 1st gear to the 2nd gear and 3rd. When it shifts, the RPM goes to 4000-5000 range. When this happens, if I shut it down and start again the problem goes away.

I have taken the vehicle to the dealer twice (including today) and they are saying nothing is wrong and there are no error codes in the computer etc: This has become a real problem now as this is happening frequently now. I have recorded this behavior and intend to show it to the dealer again. Before I take it again, what are my options? I feel there is a big problem and dealer is not addressing it saying there are no error codes etc to find a problem.

Another issue the dealer fixed today was the AC started making a hissing noise. There was leak in the system and they replaced few parts and refilled the AC. Bought brand new and AC has a leak. I feel as if the build quality is crap and for the money i spent it useless.......

Sounds more like a Transmission Conductor Plate going bad thats what the symptoms are what you been describing, ask the dealer to flash the transmission software to see if that helps....
And as these are adaptive transmission which adapts your driving habit and store in computer memory, try resetting it, you can see the videos on youtube how to do that. Let us know if it helps.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2016, 03:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350
Yeah, I would let them keep the rig for a few days. It's worth it and I've had to do this with cars in the past. Sometimes that's the only way to find the issue if it's intermittent. Have faith, these cars are not crap. They might have a few issues (QC) but you'll find that pretty much anywhere these days. The bar has dropped quite a bit for all manufactures. But the prices keep rising. Argh.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:54 AM

2015 GL 350
I sent the video to the dealership. They said they will take a look at it with the shop foreman this week.

Couple of observations when the shifting problem happens. ( i sent this information to the dealership also)

1) Engine makes a loud noise and RPM goes to 3000 when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Highest gear the car shifts is 4th. After 4th, even if i push the accelerator to the floor board, RPM never goes above 3000 or never shifts up from 4th

2) Paddle ****s does not work. The reason for me to check this was, last time when the car was in, they told me i might be hitting the paddle shifts. So i tested this when the problem occurs. During the shifting issue paddle shift operation does not work. Normal operation is when I click the right paddle shift, dash indicator changes from D1 to M1 and vice versa

Hopefully dealership can fix my issue. I am really frustrated. I will keep everyone updated with what happens to my problem.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:57 AM

2015 GL 350
Originally Posted by Zeyad Alkaisi
When the RPM goes to 4000, is your foot on the gas peddle at the same time?
Is it possible that your fingers are hitting the manual shift flaps behind the steering wheel causing the gear to shift to a higher level?
I had that happen to me when I first drove my R years ago.
Dealership mentioned this when i took it this time. If i was hitting the paddle shifts. In my case i wasn't. I took a video of it. It clearly shown the car shifting to 1-2-3-4 gears. each time RPM is 3000 and even if i hit the accelerator all the way to the floor board, RPM never goes above 3000.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 GL 550
Try using the paddle shifters to see if it can cause the same problem. What you describes sounds like what happens when the transmission is in 'M' ... even if you didn't touch the paddles. That may give the dealership a place to start.

Using the paddles to shift into 'M' might duplicate the problem you are experiencing, i.e., the transmission gets 'stuck' in a lower gear until you "paddle +" or wait until the revs force it to upshift ... unless it reverts to 'D', which it will eventually.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:23 PM

2015 GL 350
Below is the video i sent to the dealership.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...2RNaEZuUXRRMmM
Old 01-17-2016, 08:25 PM

2015 GL 350
Originally Posted by SaniDel
Try using the paddle shifters to see if it can cause the same problem. What you describes sounds like what happens when the transmission is in 'M' ... even if you didn't touch the paddles. That may give the dealership a place to start.

Using the paddles to shift into 'M' might duplicate the problem you are experiencing, i.e., the transmission gets 'stuck' in a lower gear until you "paddle +" or wait until the revs force it to upshift ... unless it reverts to 'D', which it will eventually.
when that happens the paddle shifts does not work. I tried shifting and nothing happens. I posted the link to the video i sent to the dealership. It shows whats going on.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:18 PM

2015 gl450
That vid is with your foot to floor?

Looks like a trans limp scenario if so.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:20 PM

2015 GL 350
Originally Posted by Mike450
That vid is with your foot to floor?

Looks like a trans limp scenario if so.
Yes foot to the floor. RPM does not go above 3000. Gears want shift above 4th.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Originally Posted by roshanlenora
Yes foot to the floor. RPM does not go above 3000. Gears want shift above 4th.
I also have GL350 and according to what I've seen on your video - it's normal. My car behaves the same way. Diesel engine rarely goes over 3000rpm even when you floor it. If the gear does not shift above 4th - that's sounds like an issue.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL550 2013 ESV Platinum 2008 Hummer H2 LE UM
My GL550 does the same. It's common on most MB since the transmission times are a bit slow.

Its not as fast as the Escalades transmission.

I use manual most of the time on my 550 since the shift times are a slow.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:26 AM

2015 gl450
Update?
Old 03-25-2016, 11:04 PM
GLr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL350 x166
sounds like your transmission is going into "LIMP" mode. This usually happens when there is an issue and the computer puts the engine/trans into Limp mode to prevent it from damage. Something is definitely wrong. i suggest when this happens drive it straight to your nearest MB service center. Do not turn your engine off and have them do the diagnostic test while its running. Once you turn if off it will reset and codes may dissapear.

This happened to me one weekend but it took me a a few days to stop by the service center to have them check it out. They ran the diagnostic test and came up with nothing. Few days later it happened again, this time i drove the car straight to the service center. They ran the codes while it was running and came back with a Crank Shaft Position Sensor issue. replaced it and now runs fine.

Still baffels me that this would happen to a $85K car at only a 10K mile interval...
Old 06-28-2016, 02:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 Evo X GSR & 2014 GL550 & 2012 A6 3.0T
Can you confirm if this behavior exists regardless of engine temps. I notice that the temperature gauge in the video is still not up to operating temperature. I have driven other vehicles where the vehicle's capability is limited until all fluid temperatures have reached an optimum level. Limitations include:

1) highest gear vehicle can go into.
2) slower transmission shifting under sub-optimal temperatures. RPM jumping before reaching next gear is a side-effect of this.
3) higher idle rpm and forcing engine to rev higher before allowing shift to next gear for reaching operating temps in Cat and fluids quickly.

Alternatively, as others have suggested, you may be experiencing limp mode under cold conditions. But this usually entails recording a fault code in the TCU/ECU. Hope you find a resolution quickly if this is indeed a case of "out-of-spec" behavior.