GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Differences of 2016 GL SUV 450 vs. Older Models

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 01:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL 350
Differences of 2016 GL SUV 450 vs. Older Models

Hey there.. hope I am posting to the right forum.

We are looking to replace our Volvo XC90 with a new SUV and really like the GL SUV 450. We have looked at it the new Volvo XC90, the Audi Q7, and Mercedes GL 450, and the Infiniti QX60.

So far, the Mercedes GL 450 is our favorite (.. or my wife's favorite to be exact.. it's going to be her car...).

But from a price point, it is a bit beyond our reach.

I am considering possibly looking into getting either a 2015 or 2014 Mercedes CPO to save a boatload of money, but wanted to know what features we "give up" by going back to either a 2015 or a 2014 (I won't go back any more then 2 years..).

What have been the key changes from 2014 to 2015 and now to 2016...

Engine? Interior? Safety Features? Bodystyle??

Sometimes, there are very, very few differences between model years, but sometimes they make BIG changes, and I just don't know enough about this vehicle to know what I would lose by going back to a 2014 or 2015 vs. trying to get a new 2016.

If I can save a huge amount of money and get almost the same car, it is worth considering. But if it is a vastly inferior in many ways, or some key items are missing, then probably won't consider it.

Thanks so much for the assistance.

Regards,

Michael
The following users liked this post:
ztahokie (09-02-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
I would say 2015 and 2016 models are identical.
2013/2014 model the main difference is the engine. These models have 8 cyl twin turbo, which people love. Starting from 2015 - it's 6cyl.
Also 2013 will have third row sunroof ( not sure about 2014). 15/16 will not have it.
Heated/cooled cup holders started from 2014.

I hope it helps. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 GL450
Originally Posted by aeggroup
I would say 2015 and 2016 models are identical.
2013/2014 model the main difference is the engine. These models have 8 cyl twin turbo, which people love. Starting from 2015 - it's 6cyl.
Also 2013 will have third row sunroof ( not sure about 2014). 15/16 will not have it.
Heated/cooled cup holders started from 2014.

I hope it helps. Good luck.
I have a CPO '14 that I just bought. I also wanted to save money and preferred the V8. I have third row sunroof, didn't realize that went away in later models. '13 was the first year of the x166 generation, so my preference was to avoid it. That and my other criteria led me to the '14.

To the OP, are there any specific features you wondered about?
Old 03-17-2016, 03:54 PM
Banned

GL 350
Things I wanted to see if they changed were:
1) Power Folding Third Rows
2) Voice Activated Nav System
3) Any of the key "safety features" (drivers assist, parktronics, etc.)

Thanks.

Michael
Old 03-17-2016, 04:41 PM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by einstem
Things I wanted to see if they changed were:
1) Power Folding Third Rows
2) Voice Activated Nav System
3) Any of the key "safety features" (drivers assist, parktronics, etc.)
1) Minor update to 2nd row headrest design for 2016
2) Same
3) Same

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 03-17-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:02 PM
Banned

GL 350
OK.. Awesome. So sounds like what I will do is try to drive a real HARD bargain on a new 2016.

I am also doing a trade-in at the same time and my company participates in the Mercedes Discount Fleet program (but I think that is only a few grand, and only for new cars).. But hopefully can get it where I want it.

And if not, I can go hunting for a CPO with low mileage for either a 2014, 2015, or 2016 model years and get essentially the exact same car at a pretty big discount.

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2016, 10:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350
I would love to hear your feedback on the cross shopped SUVs you looked at out of curiousity - especially the new Volvo. I think the GL trumps them all. But each do have their good and bad attributes.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:29 AM
Banned

GL 350
Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
I would love to hear your feedback on the cross shopped SUVs you looked at out of curiousity - especially the new Volvo. I think the GL trumps them all. But each do have their good and bad attributes.
Here is my quick summary of the different vehicles:

Volvo XC90: Very nice upgrade (we have a 2007 XC90 with the awesome Yamaha V8). We are looking at the T6 (no interest in the T8 hybrid). The interior of the "Inscription" is very nice and as existing Volvo XC90 owners, this would be an "easy upgrade" for us. Size (and even look) is fairly similar. Ride is nice, although not nearly as smooth as the Q7 or as "solid" feeling as the GL450. 3rd row is ok, but still not that great, and wouldn't want to put adults back there for long (teens and kids are OK). Big concerns are the supercharged/turbocharged 4 cylinder (will it last??), getting a "first year model" that has had some issues, and no power/folding third row. Seems a bit "over teched" if you know what I mean - I'm not a huge fan of touch screens when you are driving - I like good old knobs and buttons for when you are driving. Think it looks "reasonably handsome" for an SUV. But overall, a nice package that we can probably get LOADED with what we want for the mid 60's.

Audi Q7: Very nice engine and transmission, and drives very, very smoothly. Nice cabin, but I'm not a huge fan of the Audi MMI interface (I have an Audi A4 myself). Definitely the "smallest" of the SUVs we looked and, and the 3rd row is a pain to get to and definitely the "tightest" of the three. Also worried that the smaller cargo space can be an issue, since we do big ski trips, and definitely less cubic feet of storage then any of the other vehicles. But otherwise, its an Audi. Has the great, solid Audi feel and those doors that go "thunk". Incredibly good turning radius for a relatively big vehicle, so will be easy to park/maneuver. Oh, and I think its pretty butt-ugly. My wife thinks its "OK", but not great. Can probably get this for how we would want optioned out for the high 60s.

Infiniti Qx60: This was a big surprise to me, and we ALMOST went for this, but have a few concerns which I will mention shortly. Overall, this is by far the best VALUE of a big SUV. It's big, has lots of storage, and a very easy to access third row with lots of room in the 3rd, and seats that "tumble forward" easily. The cockpit and controls are real nice, and overall interior is very luxurious. Drove very nicely around town.. We ALMOST just went ahead and purchased this, but I did a bit of research and found a few concerns. My biggest is that it's not a "TRUE AWD" car. Although its based on the Nissan Pathfinder (which has several 4WD modes), for the Qx60, it actually drives in "front wheel drive" all the time, and then, if the sensors detect any "slip", can put "up to 50%" of power towards the back wheels. This, in my humble opinion, is NOT real AWD. It's basically a big front wheel drive SUV that can send power to the real wheels if the fronts start to slip. And they couldn't tell me if it was smart enough to work with the anti-skid system to regulate power to individual wheels if it wants. Our XC90 with its Haldex AWD system drives around pretty much full-time with 80% power front, and 20% power rear. But it will dynamically redistribute power in any amounts between the fronts and rears as the car detects slip. And it is also smart enough to cut power to one slipping wheel on an axle. You can basically get "unstuck" as long as one tire can get traction. We do BIG ski trips into the mountains of Vermont, and I do NOT want to mess around with anything but true 4WD. Plus, on wet/sloppy roads, always having power to both wheels is just no comparison to Front Wheel that will "add power" to the back. Just doesn't seem the same to me. For around town/highways, it is probably fine, but was worried about back mountain, snow-covered roads (and yes, we always run with 4 snows in the winter). Also, was worried that the V6 was a bit underpowered. It's a big truck, and it only has about a 265 hp engine, which is MUCH less then all the other vehicles we looked at (which were all above 300 hp). Was ok going around town on the test drive, and did drive nice, but how about when we have 7 people in it, a roof rack filled with skis, and it stacked up inside with gear, and are trying to go up a mountain in a blizzard! Also, I thought it was pretty ugly, although my wife REALLY liked it, although supposedly it is almost purchased always by women. However, we can get one LOADED for probably the high 50's to low 60s, so it is MUCH cheaper then any of the other cars. And again, interior and features were really nice. From a price perspective, by far best value.

Mercedes GL 450: We really liked this SUV, although definitely biggest by far, and worried it may be a bit large for navigating parking lots and the such. But definitely the biggest 3rd row and a really nice cabin. Very big and solid to drive, and the dual-turbo V6 (what we test drove) seemed to have plent of power. Thought it looked "pretty good", but a bit "trucky", and my wife didn't like the big "nose" on it and felt it was a bit "unweildly" to drive (although drove nice on the highway). Just worried about it in emergency handling. Loved the power 3rd row and lots of interior room. However, concern was the bigger size (not totally sure it will fit in our garage - may need to test). Also, by far the most expensive. A fully loaded GL450 with all the packages we want (Premium, Drivers Assist, Parktronic) gets up to $77K. That is almost $10K more then the Audi or Volvo, and almost $20K then the Qx60. If I could get the GL 450 for $68 to $70K, it would be a done deal, but hard to justify a car that will probably be $85K by the time I pay tax and extended warranty.

OK... That's my feedback.

Hope it's helpful, and would be interested in anyone's feedback on my comments on the GL450 above.

Regards,

Michael
The following users liked this post:
ztahokie (09-02-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 04:32 PM

2014 GL450
Good write up. Thanks for taking the time.

I shared your concerns about the XC90 reliability, although i really like the big touchscreen.

The QX60 is pretty popular in my neighborhood. It looks alright, and like you said it's definitely a low cost three row luxury option. It just doesn't have any power or handling. Nissan puts that V6 in everything from the Altima to the Quest minivan, and for the QX60 they stick you with a CVT as well. That was the reason I eliminated it.

If your garage is somewhat new it should fit, the GL is about the same length as a minivan.

Last edited by sg021; 03-18-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:37 PM
GL-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GL450
My garage is small, and I can still fit the GL450. The dimensions of the vehicle are very similar to the Chevy Tahoe that it replaced. I wouldn't be able to close the garage door if I owned a Suburban.

Last edited by GL-; 03-18-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:06 PM

2014 GL450
Originally Posted by GL-
My garage is small, and I can still fit the GL450. The dimensions of the vehicle are very similar to the Chevy Tahoe that it replaced. I wouldn't be able to close the garage door if I owned a Suburban.
My garage is not deep, the storage area is to the side. A GL/minivan fits perfectly, but I don't think I could fit a suburban and still have room to walk around it comfortably. Definitely couldn't open the tailgate.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:06 PM

'15 GL450
X166 is an excellent all around full size SUV. It's a true 7 pax SUV with a functional 3rd row. My wife loves MBs (on her 3rd GL) but I prefer Audis. I personally prefer the new Q7 over the GL. The only thing I don't like about the Q7 is the 3rd row, though it's an improvement from the outgoing model. It still lacks leg space but okay for short trips. Also, the Quattro is superior to the 4matic in every way. As you've noticed, the new Q7 drives almost like a well behaved sedan. If space is high on your list, you can't go wrong with the GL. It's a very nice full size luxury SUV. If driving experience, cool features, and functionality (for the most part) are important to you, you can't go wrong with the Q7. It'll probably be our next SUV.
The XC90 is underpowered. I'm not a fan of 4 banger power plants in large SUVs. It's bad enough that MB went with a V6 TT on the GL450 but a 4 cylinder in the Volvo... Fugadabouit! The V6 TT in the GL450 is fine. We went on a few ski trips, packed with 5 people, luggage, and all the gear, and it performed flawlessly. Besides, it's our family hauler and my wife's soccer mom mobile.
We've owned both Infiniti SUVs (full size and medium size) and I'm not a big fan of Infiniti SUVs. The build quality just isn't there, IMO. They offer the latest gadgets but that's about it. JMHO.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 03-18-2016 at 11:09 PM.