GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Thanks for Power Easy Entry Headrest Pin Fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 12:02 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
on GLC300 #2 (GL350 before those)
Thanks for Power Easy Entry Headrest Pin Fix

New to me CPO 2014 GL350 came with Power Easy Entry, a feature that gee-whizzed my kids on a test driver once. Then I read about and saw the headrest issue. Next, my girlfriend's 7 year old sits down on a backless booster opposite side of my 8 year old in her full back booster for a little ride to town, and she actually starts crying due to the crazy headrest discomfort. We moved her to the center seat position after I promise to fix it before her next ride.

Mercifully, several before me validated and detailed the pin fix that allows the PEE headrests to spring back toward their elevated posts rather than hang out over the front plane of the rear seat surface where they press heads forward -- thank you, thank you, thank you! (I never resort to these smilies, but I mean it here.) I believe that future users like me so often benefit from forum wisdom, only possible due to thoughtful posts by predecessors and trailblazers who pursue such solutions to benefit all.

Let me consolidate a few key Power Easy Entry Headrest Swivel Pin Fix entries for the benefit of others, not that I'm adding anything much. My only addition is that I had to trust that the shifting to right of the leather/plastic hook portion is an act of faith and hope. It's entirely unclear just how far to move it before it's possible to loosen the plastic hook edge so the front flap of the cover comes loose. I employed the one-flap front only method. One simply needs to work at loosening the hook edge with both care and persistent but patient force, sliding right then trying to pull out the hook from its concealed center mount until succeeding. There is no cutaway drawing to show how each hook grabs at the assembly itself, so to speak, and I initially wrongly thought that the front and back flaps of the headrest cover grabbed each other's hooks. It had me head scratching and then straining for almost 10 minutes to get the first one I tried to release. The second headrest took merely a minute - and I only unhooked it about 66% towards the left, only enough to push and pull out that pin before I very easily slid and pushed the hook fully back in place. On my first headrest where I pulled the whole flap, this took extra effort to figure out and execute. The second headrest was a cinch since it was already partly in. I also left my knocked out pins in place for simplicity and convenient storage; given the sort of void they occupy and all that padding in front of them making them undetectable, I hope there's no way one will come loose or harm a passenger.

None of this headrest pin success would have been possible absent these:

Cyclrder's pin detailed shot and summary:
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...drest-fix.html

G Wagon's #243 post that with chinhster helped me figure out the front cover flap black plastic hook removal strategy:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ml#post6580679

chinhster's #

chinhster

Thanks to algtrd's instructions from post #152, I fixed the headrests myself so that they will tilt. Here are some extra tips if you want to do it yourself.

On both headrests, pull the tabs towards the right side of the vehicle. Start with the one closest to the front of the headrest (I did it from the second row and pulled towards my left). I'd say I pulled the tab about 3/4 inch before I could get part of the tab off the track and then was able to pull down on the tab to pull it completely off the track. For the back tab, I worked from the cargo area and again, pulled the tab towards the right side of the GL. Your goal to get the tabs off is to get enough of them off the track that they're hooked to so that you can pull the tab down off the tracks. It was not easy and took probably 5-10 minutes per tab to get them off!
The following users liked this post:
Chedman13 (04-29-2016)