GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

check engine light/vehicle running rough at idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2016 | 01:22 PM

2013 MB GL450
check engine light/vehicle running rough at idle

I bought a CPO 2014 GL450 a month ago. My fiance drove it about 100 miles or so today and car was fine. She went out and started the car after it had been sitting for a few hours. She said the check engine light came on, vehicle was running rough at idle, and hesitated when applying the gas. She stopped the car, turned it off, and restarted it and the light did not return and car seems to be running fine. I am not their to verify the exact issues.

This in addition to the faulty drive module for the tailgate that needed to replaced and a short or bad connection in the window controls on the driver side door (which is getting fixed this week) is making me rethink my purchase. Still have manufacturer's warranty and a three year extended warranty. I am suppose to drive it 11 hours to the beach this weekend but I am losing faith in this vehicle. It is scheduled to go in Thursday to replace driver's seat cushion and check the tailgate as it seems to be closing too fast as well as fix the window controls.

Any thoughts/comments?

Thanks
Old 06-26-2016 | 06:26 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

1999 E300TD
Quickly take it back to the MB dealer and get it fixed properly!!
Old 06-26-2016 | 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
!st - tail gate "issue" has happened with other 2013/2014 - sometimes caused by prior owner grabbing and closing the rear tailgate manually - sometimes it was a goofy mechanism - either way the good news is the "fix" is a update mechanism which will be permanent as long as you don't manually grab the gate.

2nd - driver's window controsl issue - have not run into that before - "possibly" a prior fluid spill - that window control module is rock solid - and fix should be permanent.

3rd - when you are at the dealer for fix 1/2 - they can pull up that stored CEL code - which could be anything minor such as bad gas, loose gas cap, etc.. if it was me, I would throw 1/2 of a $9 bottle of Stabil Marine Fuel Stabilzer (blue bottle) in the tank to take care of any fuel contamination/water.

I don't see anything "fearful" - enjoy your GL450 on your trip !
Old 06-27-2016 | 11:00 AM

2013 MB GL450
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
!st - tail gate "issue" has happened with other 2013/2014 - sometimes caused by prior owner grabbing and closing the rear tailgate manually - sometimes it was a goofy mechanism - either way the good news is the "fix" is a update mechanism which will be permanent as long as you don't manually grab the gate.

2nd - driver's window controsl issue - have not run into that before - "possibly" a prior fluid spill - that window control module is rock solid - and fix should be permanent.

3rd - when you are at the dealer for fix 1/2 - they can pull up that stored CEL code - which could be anything minor such as bad gas, loose gas cap, etc.. if it was me, I would throw 1/2 of a $9 bottle of Stabil Marine Fuel Stabilzer (blue bottle) in the tank to take care of any fuel contamination/water.

I don't see anything "fearful" - enjoy your GL450 on your trip !
Dear Fab:

Thank you for the information. it is very helpful. She has also stated that when starting from a stop, that there is a slight delay or hesitation before acceleration. I chalked this up to turbo lag and the size and weight of the vehicle. Would you agree?

She also mentioned that the transmission at times shifts somewhat harshly. I recall reading about this in one of the review from the automagazines. Any thoughts?

Sorry for the questions. She is stressing and I am trying to provide the best information I can.

Thanks again!

Michael
Old 06-27-2016 | 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
"Timid" driving doesn't suit a GL well - "brassy" is better - and "bold" is best.... sounds like here 1st ultra-luxury 4-passenger SUV - you have over 3 tons to get moving