GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

GL vs Range Rover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
GL vs Range Rover

Hello All.

I am a long time member of this forum, have been loyal to Mercedes for about last 16 years and have owned about 12 MB cars since that time including 3 GLs ( two GL350s and one GL450). Our GL is primarily used by my wife or for the family trips to Florida twice a year. Now, after my wife has watched enough of Real Housewifes of "everywhere" - she would like me to switch to Range Rover.
I'd like to ask members here who owned both cars - how is big Rover compared to GL. I see all internet posts that it's not reliable, but my friends who own it do not complain about it, so I'm not sure who to believe. Anyway I would get brand new or slightly used with minimum of 3 remaining years of warranty, but still would not like to spend ( waste) time at the dealership. Also, how is your driving experience between two cars ? I'm planning to get a diesel version, but 6 cyl gas is also on the radar.
I know I'm asking on MB forum, so bias responses expected .

Thank you.

P.S. For all Republicans - congrats with big victory. I know the road will be bumpy - but I hope it will bring much needed changes. For all Democrats - we are also worrying what tomorrow will bring....

Last edited by aeggroup; 11-09-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:46 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2002 C4 Cab, 2014 Audi A5 cab, 2017 X5 35d
Several good reviews @ Edmunds and Car and Driver. Td6 diesel performs similarly to the Benz. Interior slightly smaller than the GL.
Have you considered the newly designed Q7? Diesel variant not yet available in USA but the gasser performs flawlessly. Personally I'd go with the Audi over the Rover.