GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

2013 GL450 vs 2017 GLS450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 01:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
S600/GLS450/CLS63
2013 GL450 vs 2017 GLS450

Hey guys,

I wanted to write this up since I know there are a lot of people curious about the difference between the GL and GLS. I figured since I had the GL and currently have the GLS - perhaps my input would be of value to someone.

The 2013 GL450 (as many of you know) had the V8 - and I loved, loved that car. Even though it was de-tuned in comparison to the 550, it still had a punch to it I don't believe any 6 cylinder can ever compare to. The interior of my GL was the MB Tex or whatever it was called - and I will be honest, is a damn good material for comfort and longevity. I didn't have a lot of options on the GL, but it was still a fantastic vehicle. The nav and iPod interface were outdated in relativity, but totally functional. The drive, handling and MPG were totally up to my standards. We only got rid of it because it fell out of warranty.

The GLS on the other hand, I decided to spec it out. I have a lot of packages and Designo everything - and if I had to do it over again I would have only opted for the LED headlights, and nothing else. The new infotainment system is honestly a joke. They put in Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and are so reliant on them the stock Nav and iPhone media interfaces feel so bland and out of date, it's a real let down for the price. My GLS came out to right around 91K so there aren't many options I don't have - and there aren't many options I couldn't live without. The GLS has the Distronic option with auto steering and if you want to convince everyone around you that you're drunk, by all means use it. It's very neat and a really cool novelty - but definitely not worth the money.

The 9 speed transmission is perhaps one of my biggest gripes. It simply does not know what gear it ever wants to be in. I keep the car in comfort 99.9% of the time and the transmission just keeps hunting for gears and slamming into place once it makes up its mind. I know it's not just mine because I test drove quite a few with the same results. I just assumed it was due to new cars not having proper adaptations - but 2500 miles later it's still as indecisive as ever. I can already feel someone replying to this thread with a, "Wow, that's weird my 9 speed is totally fine maybe you should have the dealer check yours out". I did - they said it was fine.

Moral of the story - if you're set on getting the X166, get the GL - hold off until the ultimate redesign if you're hell bent on getting a new one. I won't go so far as to say I regret getting rid of my 2013, my new GLS is beautiful and the lease payments are mostly deductible (GL was a purchase) - but if I were to give advice to a prospective buyer I would implore them to consider getting a 2 or 3 year old GL at half what I'm paying with almost 100% of the enjoyment. The interior refresh is definitely cool, but not worth the premium price by any means. Maybe it's because I own an S class and know what 'S' standards are - and given Mercedes new naming concept stating that the GLS is the 'S' of their SUV lineup - in my mind I expect the same fit and finish. It's not there - even the leather on the dash looks sloppy and haphazardly put together. The 2017 GLS will make an amazing used car for someone at 50-75% of the price, it just doesn't feel like a 90K SUV. I will enjoy this for the next 3 years or so, but this should serve as a word of warning.

It's no S, maybe an E+ or S-.

Sorry for sounding so negative.
The following 6 users liked this post by Ricky Spanish:
4everalone (03-02-2017), att234 (03-01-2017), mefferso (08-02-2019), pobriensr (09-27-2017), slimjim100 (02-04-2017), vroooom (02-04-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-05-2017, 02:37 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
What exactly is sloppy and haphazard about the leather on the dash?

The review is a bit surprising considering you owned basically the same exact model for several years. Did you expect the fit, finish and level of luxury to be different because you added a few options and bought it new?

And I agree, the infotainment system is disappointing. There are better systems in much less quality vehicles.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 - GL 550
Originally Posted by Ricky Spanish
Hey guys,

I wanted to write this up since I know there are a lot of people curious about the difference between the GL and GLS. I figured since I had the GL and currently have the GLS - perhaps my input would be of value to someone.

The 2013 GL450 (as many of you know) had the V8 - and I loved, loved that car. Even though it was de-tuned in comparison to the 550, it still had a punch to it I don't believe any 6 cylinder can ever compare to. The interior of my GL was the MB Tex or whatever it was called - and I will be honest, is a damn good material for comfort and longevity. I didn't have a lot of options on the GL, but it was still a fantastic vehicle. The nav and iPod interface were outdated in relativity, but totally functional. The drive, handling and MPG were totally up to my standards. We only got rid of it because it fell out of warranty.

The GLS on the other hand, I decided to spec it out. I have a lot of packages and Designo everything - and if I had to do it over again I would have only opted for the LED headlights, and nothing else. The new infotainment system is honestly a joke. They put in Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and are so reliant on them the stock Nav and iPhone media interfaces feel so bland and out of date, it's a real let down for the price. My GLS came out to right around 91K so there aren't many options I don't have - and there aren't many options I couldn't live without. The GLS has the Distronic option with auto steering and if you want to convince everyone around you that you're drunk, by all means use it. It's very neat and a really cool novelty - but definitely not worth the money.

The 9 speed transmission is perhaps one of my biggest gripes. It simply does not know what gear it ever wants to be in. I keep the car in comfort 99.9% of the time and the transmission just keeps hunting for gears and slamming into place once it makes up its mind. I know it's not just mine because I test drove quite a few with the same results. I just assumed it was due to new cars not having proper adaptations - but 2500 miles later it's still as indecisive as ever. I can already feel someone replying to this thread with a, "Wow, that's weird my 9 speed is totally fine maybe you should have the dealer check yours out". I did - they said it was fine.

Moral of the story - if you're set on getting the X166, get the GL - hold off until the ultimate redesign if you're hell bent on getting a new one. I won't go so far as to say I regret getting rid of my 2013, my new GLS is beautiful and the lease payments are mostly deductible (GL was a purchase) - but if I were to give advice to a prospective buyer I would implore them to consider getting a 2 or 3 year old GL at half what I'm paying with almost 100% of the enjoyment. The interior refresh is definitely cool, but not worth the premium price by any means. Maybe it's because I own an S class and know what 'S' standards are - and given Mercedes new naming concept stating that the GLS is the 'S' of their SUV lineup - in my mind I expect the same fit and finish. It's not there - even the leather on the dash looks sloppy and haphazardly put together. The 2017 GLS will make an amazing used car for someone at 50-75% of the price, it just doesn't feel like a 90K SUV. I will enjoy this for the next 3 years or so, but this should serve as a word of warning.

My comment wont be mature enough as I haven't driven GLS but did drove 2017 E-Class & C-Class and all I could say is Mercedes is now more into making profitability than giving good quality material, common this is Mercedes I wanted my brother in law to test drive E-Class as he was more into Audi and wanted to lease one, but when I compared both side by side, all I could say is the way Audi is compensating for the scam scandal by throwing the technology and quality material in their lower class model such as A4 it is way par then Mercedes.

I could feel the cheap plastic from behind near the Rear vents, the stupid MB-Tex which looks so weird I hate it, and I wont agree at all that it looks and feel better than leather, though I would agree that it wont peel or wrinkle, and all these cheap quality was in 2017 E-Class. On the name of Technology they threw in 12 Inch LCD and crazy 60 color ambient lighting are you serious 60, I would have appreciate instead of 60 lights if they would have put better leather or worked making the ride more smother with less lag on those puppy turbos, and when I compared the Maps and Virtual cockpit on Audi that was amazing, I am not here to debate, but I started feeling that Mercedes needs to be in competition with other Manufacturer, you can't throw in cheap plastic door lock knobs in 100K suv and those cheap plastic buttons on the door for seat adjustment, I agree they finally realized after god-damn 5-6 years that they need to upgrade the Seat adjustment knobs to something better.

Anyway regarding the ride, Audi A4 had a lil 4 cylinder pony engine but it was way better than E-Class 4 Cylinder. Again I am not comparing Apples to Apple but all I am saying Audi A4 interior quality is better than Merc E-Class and I myself own one but they really need to work on Technology and quality like other premium cars, you can't charge 4-5 grand for a designo leather which ages way before the life "Just the saw recent post on the forum" In regards to Leather I love Lexus\Audi leather their leather is the best among all, smooth premium and so much more.

Anyway no doubt GL drivers better and has some better quality than other line of Mercedes and I will always buy GL if I need 7 Passenger SUV regardless of what cheap crap they offer inside the car.

regarding main topic of 9 speed they call it so called adaptive transmission so who knows it adapts your cycle fast.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
Sorry for interrupting because I have a GLE 350d V6, not a GLS, but with the same 9 speed transmision. Coming from a BMW with 8-speed ZF automatic gearbox, I'd say the 9 G-tronic is pretty adequate /for me/, in comfort mode sometimes a bit slow to downshift especially when the engine is still cold after start, but extremely fast and in the right place in sport mode. The whole car feels much nicer in sport and if you don't step heavily ot the gas, the fuel consumption is pretty similiar to comfort.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
GL 450 W4, GLE 350 W4
Hey guys,

Ricky- Thanks for this write up, very informative! I have a 2013 GL450 with low miles still under factory warranty & have questioned MB's REAL rationale for switching to the 6 cylinder especially given the new naming nomenclature. I think they were trying create a measurable difference between the GLS 450 & GLS 550 in order to justify the extra 25k price tag & boost crappy GL/GLS 550 sales.

I am curious as to how your seats look on your new GLS? I just bought the wife a new '17 GLE & the seats look like they are from a 20 year old car! I brought car in with 150 miles on it & am now battling with MB USA on it as they say there is nothing they can do! To make matters worse, I traded my S550 W4 in for the GLE & feel like we went from luxury to economy as the fit & finish does not live up to old MB standards. (See loose upholstery in GLE forum... lots of people have same issue).
Old 02-07-2017, 10:11 PM

S600/GLS450/CLS63
Well since we don't (and won't) have children we went for the oyster (or white) colored seats and they look amazing, but are some of the most porous seats we've ever owned. For reference we also have have a Range Rover with white-ish interior and it's bulletproof. The GLS leather is so matte that it soaks in every color it comes in contact with. I'm super impressed with the texture and cross stitching (and massage!), but the quality of the leather is lacking. This did, however, give me the opportunity to discover Leatherique Prestine [sic] Clean - and I swear by it for keeping things looking new. I don't have any issues with the seats feeling loose - but the dash and door panels are crap though. The extreme angles they put into the design seem to exceed the limits of leather. Around the door handles, around the infotainment screen, at the very edges of the dash the leather looks creased, forced and inconsistent with the finish of the rest of the dash.

I'm happy to hear others are having good luck with the 9 speed- it's a lot of gears to keep in check so likely my car is having issues that I'm sure will be sorted out through adaptations and/or service.

I'm glad this thread is getting attention because I wanted to add to my complaints - namely the auto start/stop. I didn't have this feature in my GL - but I do have it in other cars I own and I have to say I'm not impressed at all. This feature, that I assume is meant for economy reasons, does not ever seem to know what is actually happening in the car it's installed in. I really think Mercedes should add a 5 second delay because when I stop at a stop sign and the engine turns off, only to re-start the second I let my foot off the gas, I really don't feel like an environmental hero. Worse than that is when I park in my garage, when I come to a stop the engine turns off, then I simultaneously put it in park and engage the parking brake - but the second I take my foot off the brake it turns back on. Since I'm seconds from shutting the car off it feels so schizophrenic. I wish the auto start/stop was more in tune with what the car was actually doing and not just asserting its need to save fuel in every situation. Maybe it's always been this way and I didn't know since my GL didn't have this featue. I guess I could start shutting the car off with the brake still depressed, but it feels so unintuitive.

The moral of my first post continues into this one - DO NOT waste your money on this model. Buy a 2014 for far less money and wait until Mercedes completely redesigns the GLS to spend real money.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:48 PM

2015 gl450
I have to ask, did you drive or even sit in the truck before you bought it?

Reading your thoughts, there doesn't seem to be much you are pleased with on the truck. Why would you buy it?
Old 02-07-2017, 10:53 PM

S600/GLS450/CLS63
Mike, how has an antagonist like you not been banned? None of of your replies to my post have been constructive, or even interesting. I won't be bullied into defending my decisions. If you don't agree, just move on.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:06 PM

2015 gl450
Why post a public opinion in hopes of a discussion if all you wish for is agreement? Would you prefer we all just post " Yes Rick, you made a horrible decision. Excellent job."

I'm asking valid questions. Many of your concerns about the GL are well known and documented on this very forum. Nothing you said, beyond maybe the poor leather around the dash, is new news. Dare I say, they all have been discussed ad nauseum on MBworld.

It's unfortunate you are not happy with the GL, but it doesn't make much sense considering your previous ownership of a 90% identical truck.

It's also unfortunate you take issue with my question. I apologize for questioning you on how you entered into such a clearly regrettable purchase.

Last edited by Mike450; 02-07-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
I don't think there's ever much difference between vehicles of the same design period even with exterior refreshes.

I really hope the new design adds captain's chair 2nd row seating and 2nd row seat adjustment rails.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:43 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 GL550 4Matic
Ricky... Let the haters hate. Thank you for taking the time to share your opinions about your GLS. I have a GL550 and love it. I'll be holding off until the complete refresh of the GLS before parting with my GL550.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450
Originally Posted by DC-BENZ
I really hope the new design adds captain's chair 2nd row seating and 2nd row seat adjustment rails.
Captain's chair with or without passthrough? Not too many 3 row SUV offers captain's seat. I was very intrigued by the newest Acura MDX and its twin Honda Pilot (highest trim level) coz' they offer captain's seat option. In case of MDX, it is 2 fixed captain's chair layout with no passthrough. The center becomes almost like a command center. So, essentially you still need to move/flip the seats to get to the 3rd row. Honda Pilot however has a pass through like in the mini-vans where you can walk to the 3rd row.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 GL550 4Matic
I like the thought of Captains Chairs in the 2nd row. On the MDX is there some kind of center console like in the Infinity Q80?
Old 02-09-2017, 05:34 PM

2014 GL450
Originally Posted by srfrboy
I like the thought of Captains Chairs in the 2nd row. On the MDX is there some kind of center console like in the Infinity Q80?
Yes, it is like the QX80 2nd row. Just not as bulky. I wish they could make a decent center console for the 2nd row that could still be temporary be put away to allow easy access to the 3rd row. The Honda Pilot has this but the console is more of a flimsy flip up tray rather than a console.

If GLS in the future has 2nd row captains seat, it would definitely be my top pick unless my current GL disappoints me down the road in terms of reliability.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:23 AM

GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
I'm ok with the redesign being a part of the "not too many" crowd.

I'm thinking the design options I'd like to see would be similar to the R class's 2nd row (offer a bench or captain's chair).

Originally Posted by jlim
Captain's chair with or without passthrough? Not too many 3 row SUV offers captain's seat. I was very intrigued by the newest Acura MDX and its twin Honda Pilot (highest trim level) coz' they offer captain's seat option. In case of MDX, it is 2 fixed captain's chair layout with no passthrough. The center becomes almost like a command center. So, essentially you still need to move/flip the seats to get to the 3rd row. Honda Pilot however has a pass through like in the mini-vans where you can walk to the 3rd row.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
GL 450 W4, GLE 350 W4
New Maybach GLS concept pic

I agree with other users comments regarding Captains chairs & a rear center console (preferably with nice fold out tables for laptop/ tablet/ eating on the fly). Came across the below article on the new GLS Maybach which should be debued at same time as the new GLS line. One thing I DO NOT like is how low to the ground it is, other than that, nice "lines"!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/mercedes-maybach-suv-set-2019-launch

Last edited by Boston; 02-10-2017 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-10-2017, 10:25 AM

GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
It looks like the newest version of the Q7.

Originally Posted by Boston
I agree with other users comments regarding Captains chairs & a rear center console (preferably with nice fold out tables for laptop/ tablet/ eating on the fly). Came across the below article on the new GLS Maybach which should be debued at same time as the new GLS line. One thing I DO NOT like is how low to the ground it is, other than that, nice "lines"!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...et-2019-launch
Old 02-10-2017, 11:01 AM

2014 GL450
Super awesome.

http://st.motortrend.ca/uploads/sites/42/2015/04/Volvo-XC90-Lounge-Console-Concept-interior-tray.jpg
Old 02-11-2017, 06:18 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
GLE350d, Porsche TE
Re the 9 speed.

I came from a ML 7 speed, now have the 9 in GLE, both were diesel.

For North Amercian market the 7 speed is a better choice.

On the 9 speed the 9th gear really doesn't get used unless you're above 70MPH
The programming on the other 8 gears makes it shift more than the 7 for sure! The 9 is excellent if you tow at max weight a lot or you have access to the autobahn.

Something to be said for both but the 7 really uses the torgue of the diesel, the 9 more programmed like for a gas engine.

I can see what the OP means and would not be surprised some programming changes on the 9 speed going forward if enough would bring it up.

However the shifting part on my 9 is flawless sofar and really smooth.

I love that is turns like 1350RPM at 70mph!
My Jeep GC 8 speed diesel did about 1800 at that speed and the older 5 speed about 2400rpm!!

Last edited by nookie; 02-11-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some of the past. ’13 CTS V Wagon, ‘15 GL550. ‘17 GLS550. Current: ‘20 GLE580.
Hey guys,

Coming from a 110k 2015 GL550 into a 106k 2017 GLS550, i cant agree more with you, the 9 speed is a disaster, the steering is soo off, quality isnt the same, i leased the car 2 months ago and i cant wait to get out of it, its falling apart, squeaks and rattles all over
Mercedes should make good on their loyal buyers, either fix these issues or give us money back
Old 03-02-2017, 01:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 Evo X GSR & 2014 GL550 & 2012 A6 3.0T
I would love the new GLS if it looked like the picture "Boston" posted, but only if it remained bigger and offered more utility than the current Q7. My ONLY reason to get it was the added volume and power over the Q7 without becoming a Pickup-based SUV like the American makes.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
Great post. Bought a 2012 with 38K miles loaded to the gills a month ago. It has been a dream to drive. It usually takes a couple of years for a new model to get all the bugs worked out. I can wait.
Hey guys,