GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Keyless Go issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Honda Odyseey Touring Elite
Keyless Go issue

Has anyone else had issues with their keyless go? I have had mine fixed a number of times. My 2016 GL has almost 10K miles but they have fixed it probably 4 times. Each time it starts out working and then gets progressively worse again. Today, it hasn't successfully unlocked the car at all and I have gotten in and out about 7 times. Pushing the key buttons does work. Sometimes it won't start with the button but removing the button works. The car knows the key is there because it does the computer sounds and the air suspension noise when I come up to the car even if it won't open. The dealer where I live wasn't interested when I told them it was starting to malfunction again...I got helpful advice like it is problematic bc I have my key in my purse or that I need to keep my key in my sleeve in my purse to protect it. But, on that day, I had carried my key into the gym and it hadn't done anything but sit by the treadmill with my things. In addition, my family owns many benzes and I have had a number of them and have never had this issue and my mom doesn't keep her key in a special sleeve. When I reported it isn't working at all again, the dealer now wants it back. I am actually taking it to a different dealer next week for a set of new eyes. Any advice or experience with this?

I am adding things they have fixed, a new control module, the wire antenna in the driver door and have replaced the batteries in the keys. They have also reprogrammed the original module. Lastly, it does this behavior even with both keys present so it doesn't seem to be key related.

Thanks!

Last edited by tlkl01; 03-03-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450
>>
Today, it hasn't successfully unlocked the car at all
<<

About unlocking, how are you trying to do it? Are you grabbing the entire handle? Make sure you are not touching the front sensor on the handle as it will also indicate you are trying to lock at the same time. Assuming the keyless-go on a 2014 and 2016 is the same, a few times I inadvertently touch the front while trying to unlock with my fingers on the back of the handle, the door lock actually pops up, but the car doesn't unlock.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by jlim
>>
<<

About unlocking, how are you trying to do it? Are you grabbing the entire handle? Make sure you are not touching the front sensor on the handle as it will also indicate you are trying to lock at the same time. Assuming the keyless-go on a 2014 and 2016 is the same, a few times I inadvertently touch the front while trying to unlock with my fingers on the back of the handle, the door lock actually pops up, but the car doesn't unlock.
When the car stops unlocking, it won't open with any door handle including the trunk. I won't work no matter how carefully you touch the handle. When this happens the dealer can't make it work either including the shop foreman. It isn't a user error. It just stops working. I make videos often when it stops working and can show I am
no where near the locking button. I have never had this happen in another Mercedes including the rentals I have had from Mercedes for a weeks they have had my car.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by jlim
>>
<<

When the car stops unlocking, it won't open with any door handle including the trunk. I won't work no matter how carefully you touch the handle. When this happens the dealer can't make it work either including the shop foreman. It isn't a user error. It just stops working. I make videos often when it stops working and can show I am
no where near the locking button. I have never had this happen in another Mercedes including the rentals I have had from Mercedes for a weeks they have had my car.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:44 PM

Can anyone do a test for me? With your car running, how far do you have to go from the car before the car says the key isn't in the car? Thanks!!
Old 03-06-2017, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Cowboy - yes, your rig will stay running when you take the key outside the car - BUT once you stop the rig with the key outside the car - the key HAS TO BE INSIDE THE RIG TO RESTART.

"Keyless Go" actually refers to 2 systems - Keyless Entry and Keyless Start.. Keyless Start can ONLY happen with key INSIDE the rig for the rig to measure sufficient signal from the fob.

Keep the beat !
Old 03-06-2017, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Cowboy - yes, your rig will stay running when you take the key outside the car - BUT once you stop the rig with the key outside the car - the key HAS TO BE INSIDE THE RIG TO RESTART.

"Keyless Go" actually refers to 2 systems - Keyless Entry and Keyless Start.. Keyless Start can ONLY happen with key INSIDE the rig for the rig to measure sufficient signal from the fob.

Keep the beat !
Thanks for responding. I am aware of the different features of keyless go but am speciacilly asking at what distance from the GL does your car notice the key is gone while it is running. Previously it noticed within a close distance and my other car will tell me as soon as the key is out. My GL doesn't notice for a long time and a long distance. I am wondering if this is normal. I know it will stay on until it is shut off even if the key is removed.

No one else has keyless go issues? Funny because on of the mechanics at the dealer sAid they all have issues which I don't fully believe. My friends with GLs don't report any issue. It worked flawlessly on Saturday and not so well on Sunday.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450
It does appear to be an issue. If the dealership isn't going to take any further action after replacing all those components in your original post, you should call MB and complain or try another dealership.

Also you mentioned some videos showing this behavior. Can you share them on YouTube?
Old 04-17-2017, 11:52 PM

I took my GL to a different dealer. They were able to duplicate the issue and decided the issue was the rear antenna for the keyless go system. They replaced it. It has been a number of weeks and things have been good. A few days ago I came out and the car wouldn't unlock again. I decided that that was just a fluke and didn't think much of it. Today it did it again. Today when it did it I had just picked up the key from my pantry so nothing had touched it. When the key didn't work I went back in and grabbed my other key leaving the first one in the house. The second key worked great. So it almost seems like it is the key. What is even weirder though is that I have done the key check and gone and gotten the other key other times and neither key will work. It has also done that at the dealer where neither key will work. The dealer said they could see the last time it was there that the reason there were no codes to show the issue was that the system would just shut down entirely. Today it seems the issue is different because the other key made it work. I had really hoped this saga was over!
Old 04-18-2017, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Change battery in key. Also check and see if keyless function has been deactivated on key. Check your manual.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by dieseldoc
Change battery in key. Also check and see if keyless function has been deactivated on key. Check your manual.
Batteries in the keys have been changed countless times, keyless to isn't deactivated.. bc it works one minute and not the next...or it works one day and not the next day. It is very intermitttent. They have replaced most everything in the system except the keys which is why I think it might be the key now.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Agree keys need to be replaced and reprogrammed. Make sure your keys are not near any other keys that are transmitters or your phone. They can cause interference.