CPO Coverage is full of Exclusions - MBWorld.org Forums

Notices
GL Class (X166) 2013-Present

CPO Coverage is full of Exclusions

Reply

 
 
Old 04-09-2017, 03:27 AM
  #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 29
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
CPO Coverage is full of Exclusions

Hello
The factory warranty on my '14 GL450 is due to expire late summer, after which the CPO kicks in. Can some one advise me what all I should check before CPO kicks in to prevent any warranty surprises later.

I understand that the CPO warranty is highly limited (what ever is listed) and it won't cover any of the optional equipment installed like Dynamic Massage Seats, Distronic Radar, Parking Assistance, Rear Entertainment, Seat heating, cooling and goes on. Even Airmatic Suspension Struts are not covered.

These are big ticket items should they fail. Is there anything I can do at this point, to continue to enjoy the vehicle without worrying about any failures.

They just replaced the door actuators under warranty and the cost was close to $1,500.
Thanks,
djay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:09 PM
  #2
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 107
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Yep, I've been seeing that in forums.
DC-BENZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:30 PM
  #3
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,387
Thanks: 0
Thanked 183 Times in 156 Posts
Well... a coupel of things..

It;s best when approaching the threshold of New Cr Warranty expiration - like 100 miles or 30 days before (whichever you hit 1st) to schedule a appt with your dealer service dept.

The dealer has a interest in maximizing their New Car Warranty service income as well - and most good service dept's will co thru from front to back to catch any pending issues.

On Mercedes CPO warranty - the best thing to do is call Mercedes Customer Care and have them email you the most updated CPO warranty detail.

I have attached my most-recent-but-outdated file copy - I personally don't recommend going by indiv experience..

In X164's suspension struts were a headache with a seemingly 75K mile plateau - and YES not covered - however two things - 1st I have yet to see the same 75K plateau in the X166, some of my customers are well past 100K-125K.

On some of the other mentioned "exclusions" mentioned earlier - "good" Mercedes service dept's will go upstream for MB approval on stuff not specifically included - that are not specifically excluded - under "goodwill".

One reason I say this - from my personal experience from my side - MB CPO is quite/quite strong as compared to any 3rd party extended warranty - and as compared to other luxury brands incl BMW that I have direct expereince with.

Just trying to be helpful - keep the beat !
Attached Files
fabbrisd1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:57 PM
  #4
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 107
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I tried exactly what you wrote regarding the last 30 days of warranty but I didn't get the feeling that my dealer was interested in looking for anything other than what I pointed out. Maybe they were busy during both visits.

Fortunately, while waiting for my replacement seat cover (ordered from Germany 2 weeks before) and during the last week of my warranty the check engine light illuminated (NoX sensors).

Is it more beneficial to pay for a PPI 30 days prior to the warranty expiration to receive full attention from the dealer?

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 View Post
It;s best when approaching the threshold of New Cr Warranty expiration - like 100 miles or 30 days before (whichever you hit 1st) to schedule a appt with your dealer service dept.

The dealer has a interest in maximizing their New Car Warranty service income as well - and most good service dept's will co thru from front to back to catch any pending issues.

On Mercedes CPO warranty - the best thing to do is call Mercedes Customer Care and have them email you the most updated CPO warranty detail.

I have attached my most-recent-but-outdated file copy - I personally don't recommend going by indiv experience..

In X164's suspension struts were a headache with a seemingly 75K mile plateau - and YES not covered - however two things - 1st I have yet to see the same 75K plateau in the X166, some of my customers are well past 100K-125K.

On some of the other mentioned "exclusions" mentioned earlier - "good" Mercedes service dept's will go upstream for MB approval on stuff not specifically included - that are not specifically excluded - under "goodwill".

One reason I say this - from my personal experience from my side - MB CPO is quite/quite strong as compared to any 3rd party extended warranty - and as compared to other luxury brands incl BMW that I have direct expereince with.

Just trying to be helpful - keep the beat !
DC-BENZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:44 AM
  #5
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,387
Thanks: 0
Thanked 183 Times in 156 Posts
If your dealer is laissez faire idiots - on New Car Warranty there is access to repairs termed "goodwill" - and once you cross-over into CPO warranty there is less-of-that-same "goodwill".

Loose example - marking rub/come off a electrical switch - under New Car Warranty poof, repolaced - under CPO warranty maybe replaced maybe not.

Seat wear - can be a decent a New Car goodwill item - under CPO warranty not-as-much.

PPI might be a benefit - or pay a indie to give it the once over..
fabbrisd1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:12 AM
  #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 20
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
fabbrisd1: Last line under item 13 says "Air Suspension Struts" are covered. What is not covered then?

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 View Post
It;s best when approaching the threshold of New Cr Warranty expiration - like 100 miles or 30 days before (whichever you hit 1st) to schedule a appt with your dealer service dept.

The dealer has a interest in maximizing their New Car Warranty service income as well - and most good service dept's will co thru from front to back to catch any pending issues.

On Mercedes CPO warranty - the best thing to do is call Mercedes Customer Care and have them email you the most updated CPO warranty detail.

I have attached my most-recent-but-outdated file copy - I personally don't recommend going by indiv experience..

In X164's suspension struts were a headache with a seemingly 75K mile plateau - and YES not covered - however two things - 1st I have yet to see the same 75K plateau in the X166, some of my customers are well past 100K-125K.

On some of the other mentioned "exclusions" mentioned earlier - "good" Mercedes service dept's will go upstream for MB approval on stuff not specifically included - that are not specifically excluded - under "goodwill".

One reason I say this - from my personal experience from my side - MB CPO is quite/quite strong as compared to any 3rd party extended warranty - and as compared to other luxury brands incl BMW that I have direct expereince with.

Just trying to be helpful - keep the beat !
guhanp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:58 AM
  #7
Junior Member
 
Darknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 19
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Hello
The factory warranty on my '14 GL450 is due to expire late summer, after which the CPO kicks in. Can some one advise me what all I should check before CPO kicks in to prevent any warranty surprises later.

I understand that the CPO warranty is highly limited (what ever is listed) and it won't cover any of the optional equipment installed like Dynamic Massage Seats, Distronic Radar, Parking Assistance, Rear Entertainment, Seat heating, cooling and goes on. Even Airmatic Suspension Struts are not covered.

These are big ticket items should they fail. Is there anything I can do at this point, to continue to enjoy the vehicle without worrying about any failures.

They just replaced the door actuators under warranty and the cost was close to $1,500.
Thanks,
I know for a fact that the CPO warranty covers some of the items you listed, as I've had the work done recently under CPO warranty.

Our radar/parking assistance module in the front/right corner went bad and was replaced as well as a balky Distronic sensor. Not sure where you get your info, but at least our dealer didn't have any issues getting them fixed under CPO. Could be a "mileage may vary" situation.

I'm attaching the somewhat fuzzy copy of the CPO warranty my stealership sent me for our 2014 GL550.

The "air suspension struts" are specifically listed as covered as are the "closing assist" door actuators you had replaced. Most factory-installed options are listed covered as well including satellite radio, navigation system, and others.

You are right in that it begins with the statement "If a part is not listed, it is not covered", so I imagine some of it is how hard a dealer will go to bat for you with MBUSA.

All in all, I've been very happy with our warranty purchase. It's nearly paid for itself in less than six months.

I'm sure we will hit some items that are not covered, but so far so good!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CPO warranty coverage.pdf (229.7 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Darknight; 04-11-2017 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Clarity
Darknight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:02 PM
  #8
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 107
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Does CPO cover seals and gaskets.. aka oil cooler?
DC-BENZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:02 PM
  #9
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,387
Thanks: 0
Thanked 183 Times in 156 Posts
All questions regarding item coverage should be put to your dealer at your next service.

Example - Air Struts - shown on the included section are also mentioned on the "excluded items" section. In that earlier X164 most often not covered - very/very raely covered. On the X166 no real experience yet.

Overall - I will make this statement from my personal experience - Mercedes CPO is stronger than the 3rd party warranties I have seen on the "inclusion" part - all warranties, incl MB CPO, has exclusions.

Yes - there is a dealer factor here - and frankly my general "opinion" a hard working service department in a non-metro area dealer - where you have more personal contact - overall from the Service side can be a more fulfilling relationship - that said, metro/volume dealers do have more "goodwill" and flex if they choose to reach out for it on your behalf.

Keep the beat !
fabbrisd1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:41 AM
  #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CPO fine print of what's covered.
Attached Files
MikeBuzzsaw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:38 AM
  #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 20
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not sure if this is the latest copy of the CPO. Per MB, CPO is Unlimited miles. This documents limits it to 100k miles.
Maybe something changed, and hence the document was revised. There is a newer version of the document floating around where suspension struts are not stated in the exclusion section.
Originally Posted by MikeBuzzsaw View Post
CPO fine print of what's covered.
guhanp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:19 PM
  #12
Senior Member
 
pjw1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: TX
Posts: 389
Thanked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by guhanp View Post
Not sure if this is the latest copy of the CPO. Per MB, CPO is Unlimited miles. This documents limits it to 100k miles.
Maybe something changed, and hence the document was revised. There is a newer version of the document floating around where suspension struts are not stated in the exclusion section.
According to the last page, the doc is from 2011.
pjw1967 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:27 PM
  #13
Senior Member
 
pjw1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: TX
Posts: 389
Thanked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Our ML went into service 3/2/14. We purchased as a CPO 9/16 with a little over 30k on the clock. I registered with Mercedes Me, entered my VIN, and this is what it shows under Warranty info.

pjw1967 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:28 AM
  #14
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: America's Mitten
Posts: 149
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by pjw1967 View Post
Our ML went into service 3/2/14. We purchased as a CPO 9/16 with a little over 30k on the clock. I registered with Mercedes Me, entered my VIN, and this is what it shows under Warranty info.

You didn't get the 2 year extension? Seems like you're a good candidate with focus on coverage and repair history...
mustbebenz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:24 PM
  #15
Senior Member
 
pjw1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: TX
Posts: 389
Thanked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by mustbebenz View Post
You didn't get the 2 year extension? Seems like you're a good candidate with focus on coverage and repair history...
Interesting question. This was our first Merc. We've been on the planet a long time and have owned a lot of cars. The Merc CPO program seemed like a good deal. The car is loaded with options, so we were happy to get the extra year of coverage. We have a little less than 2 years to go at this point.

The dealer offered us the add'l 2 years for $3,500. We declined, as we were too new to the brand to get locked in for a ttl of 4.5 years (from time of purchase) by purchasing the add'l coverage. As the end of the CPO warranty approaches, we'll consider adding the coverage. We'll pay more of course, or trade it in and get an AMG (before my wife figures out what those letters stand for).
pjw1967 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:30 PM
  #16
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,387
Thanks: 0
Thanked 183 Times in 156 Posts
You can purchase a CPO extension up to last-day of the existing CPO - the MBUSA retail sheet shows CPO extension cost going up 15% if bought after 30-days from original CPO purchase - at this moment dealer cost for CPO extension goes up 5% - so a bit of wiggle room.

Remember CPO extension purchase money by-and-large goes upstream to MBUSA - refundable 100% if you don't hit the extension period - into the extension pro-rate balance - less claims against the extension - that is refundable
fabbrisd1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fabbrisd1 For This Useful Post:
pjw1967 (04-23-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 10:52 PM
  #17
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: America's Mitten
Posts: 149
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
You got quoted high, of course, so be sure to search here and shop for substantial savings if you seek to extend CPO in future.
mustbebenz is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mustbebenz For This Useful Post:
pjw1967 (04-23-2017)
 
 
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:30 PM.


Copyright 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: