Notices
GL Class (X166) 2013-Present

GL450 GPS Update

 
Old 07-04-2017, 09:17 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
GL450 GPS Update

Hey all,

So I have a '14 GL450 and I really love the vehicle. The GPS though is extremely cumbersome and feels outdated using a knob and taking a good amount of time searching for places of interest.

Has anyone updated their GPS software at the dealership for this year? And if so, is it worth it? Does it make it less cumbersome? Debating on whether to update or not.


Thanks in advance
Osmile01 is offline  
Old 07-04-2017, 09:23 AM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 45
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 GL450
I bought a 15/16 Ian update from eBay and updated it but GUI or ease of use has not changed, google maps on the mobile is the best option I would use.
lingaraju.g is offline  
Old 07-04-2017, 09:27 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
Originally Posted by lingaraju.g View Post
I bought a 15/16 Ian update from eBay and updated it but GUI or ease of use has not changed, google maps on the mobile is the best option I would use.
Thanks for the reply. EBay has an update? Did it improve anything for you worth mentioning? And when you say Google maps, do you mean just clipping your phone onto your dashboard and using that?

Thanks again
Osmile01 is offline  
Old 07-04-2017, 09:37 AM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 584
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2016 GLE63s Coupe
yup i use the phone if something is not on the car gps.... I use the car GPS more as a "where am i relative to....." big screen, i can zoom in and out etc..... Guess I'm cheap and don't want to pay every year to update it....
mrmotoguzzi00 is offline  
Old 07-04-2017, 09:41 AM
  #5  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 45
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 GL450
yeah someone on eBay was selling the usb map update and u get a code in the email to update, apart from updated routes GUI has not changed and ease of use especially finding poi has not changed, I mostly use gmaps to find poi and then enter it in the car navi as I don't like driving using phone, on the other hand if I had sufficient funds now I would retrofit a screen mirroring module if there is 1 available to make it easier (even the latest Hyundai cars have that feature). And lately I have come to an understating that inbuilt GPS is waste of money except for the fact u don't have visible wires laying around.

Last edited by lingaraju.g; 07-04-2017 at 09:44 AM.
lingaraju.g is offline  
Old 07-04-2017, 09:45 AM
  #6  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
Originally Posted by lingaraju.g View Post
yeah someone on eBay was selling the usb map update and u get a code in the email to update, apart from updated routes GUI has not changed and ease of use especially finding poi has not changed, I mostly use gmaps to find poi and then enter it in the car navi as I don't like driving using phone, on the other hand if I had sufficient funds now I would retrofit a screen mirroring module if there is 1 available to make it easier (even the latest Hyundai cars have that feature).
A mirroring module would be amazing. Thanks for the reply. I was starting to think I was the only one who thought the poi and address input felt 8 years old. Had the hardest time finding a beach using a high end vehicle. I'll scan ebay now to see if they still have the update.

Thanks bud
Osmile01 is offline  
Old 07-04-2017, 09:54 AM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 195
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
S550
The updates I have seen for the MB unit are only updates for the MAPs (adding new route info). The factory GPS on most any car is useless. Use your phone (Waze, GMaps etc.) and don't waste your time or money.

The GLS is a bit different since it has CarPlay and uses GMaps from your phone.
tate16t is offline  
Old 07-04-2017, 10:02 AM
  #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
Originally Posted by tate16t View Post
The updates I have seen for the MB unit are only updates for the MAPs (adding new route info). The factory GPS on most any car is useless. Use your phone (Waze, GMaps etc.) and don't waste your time or money.

The GLS is a bit different since it has CarPlay and uses GMaps from your phone.
I wish it came in handy a little more. Even with the traffic updates. You'd think it would be more user friendly. Didn't know that about the GLS. Good info.
Osmile01 is offline  
Old 07-04-2017, 12:59 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 45
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 GL450
Originally Posted by Osmile01 View Post
A mirroring module would be amazing. Thanks for the reply. I was starting to think I was the only one who thought the poi and address input felt 8 years old. Had the hardest time finding a beach using a high end vehicle. I'll scan ebay now to see if they still have the update.

Thanks bud
Yeah its was same problem in my bmw x3 that I had for 3 years but there was a mirroring module retrofit that I used, I believe that these premium auto should come with google maps and a sim card for just data to update maps app as needed, Chevy, ford and Hyundai are implementing for their cars at lower prices, so I just use Google to find and enter address in car navi.
lingaraju.g is offline  
Old 07-04-2017, 02:10 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 195
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by lingaraju.g View Post
Yeah its was same problem in my bmw x3 that I had for 3 years but there was a mirroring module retrofit that I used, I believe that these premium auto should come with google maps and a sim card for just data to update maps app as needed, Chevy, ford and Hyundai are implementing for their cars at lower prices, so I just use Google to find and enter address in car navi.
CarPlay solves this. Maybe look for an aftermarket CarPlay add-on?
tate16t is offline  
Old 07-04-2017, 03:03 PM
  #11  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
Originally Posted by tate16t View Post
CarPlay solves this. Maybe look for an aftermarket CarPlay add-on?
Pretty good idea Tate. If anyone has knows of any, I'm all ears. I'll be looking around in the meantime.
Osmile01 is offline  
Old 07-06-2017, 04:52 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
DC-BENZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 376
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
GL and ML350 Bluetec
I've seen Mirror Kits on Ebay or Amazon and they were less than $200.
DC-BENZ is offline  
Old 07-08-2017, 07:44 AM
  #13  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
Originally Posted by DC-BENZ View Post
I've seen Mirror Kits on Ebay or Amazon and they were less than $200.
Gonna take a look to see if I find one. Thanks!
Osmile01 is offline  
Old 07-08-2017, 02:18 PM
  #14  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 45
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 GL450
Originally Posted by Osmile01 View Post
Gonna take a look to see if I find one. Thanks!
Naviks.com has the video interface module and mirroring module and both are needed for mirroring it looks like, both cost around $400 to $500, looks to be a better option but little pricey.
lingaraju.g is offline  
Old 07-08-2017, 05:55 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
DC-BENZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 376
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
GL and ML350 Bluetec
Yes, they seem to be the best out there.


Originally Posted by lingaraju.g View Post
Naviks.com has the video interface module and mirroring module and both are needed for mirroring it looks like, both cost around $400 to $500, looks to be a better option but little pricey.
DC-BENZ is offline  
Old 07-08-2017, 09:50 PM
  #16  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
Originally Posted by lingaraju.g View Post
Naviks.com has the video interface module and mirroring module and both are needed for mirroring it looks like, both cost around $400 to $500, looks to be a better option but little pricey.

The beauty of forums. Finding out about things you never thought existed from very helpful and great minds. Who installs these? Probably an car audio place.
Osmile01 is offline  
Old 07-08-2017, 11:15 PM
  #17  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 45
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 GL450
Originally Posted by Osmile01 View Post
The beauty of forums. Finding out about things you never thought existed from very helpful and great minds. Who installs these? Probably an car audio place.
It looks like when u buy it they give u a guide to self install, all plug and play it looks like and u can do it urself, I used to own a 11 bmw x3 that did not have back-up camera and I brought the plugnplay unit from Poland and installed myself, they appear and can be self done with enough time to install slowly.
lingaraju.g is offline  
Old 07-09-2017, 12:47 PM
  #18  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
Originally Posted by lingaraju.g View Post
It looks like when u buy it they give u a guide to self install, all plug and play it looks like and u can do it urself, I used to own a 11 bmw x3 that did not have back-up camera and I brought the plugnplay unit from Poland and installed myself, they appear and can be self done with enough time to install slowly.
Cool man. Pretty crafty on your end. Whenever I do car audio installation, I always have leftover pieces. Hopefully not this time around.
Osmile01 is offline  
Old 08-02-2017, 02:58 PM
  #19  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: 510 Bay Area
Posts: 12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MERCEDES GL450
edit: NVM wrong forum

Last edited by big1236; 08-04-2017 at 09:23 AM. Reason: wrote in wrong forum
big1236 is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 10:20 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 360
Likes: 0
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
LOL at guy who buys a 10 yr old car designed 15 years ago and complains about tech. Which model flip phone were you using 10 years ago?
chsu74 is online now  
Old 08-03-2017, 05:34 PM
  #21  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: 510 Bay Area
Posts: 12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MERCEDES GL450
Originally Posted by chsu74 View Post
LOL at guy who buys a 10 yr old car designed 15 years ago and complains about tech. Which model flip phone were you using 10 years ago?
No need to be a douche, I was just wondering about the situation.

if you don't have any helpful input, then don't even post.

isn't this forum supposed to be helping each other out

sorry i'm not a 'baller' like you and 'couldn't' afford a newer car- i didn't want any car payments and bought it cash

sorry i don't know anything about cars all that much - that's why i joined this forum, to learn and get informed

FOH troll...

Last edited by big1236; 08-03-2017 at 06:03 PM.
big1236 is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 08:15 PM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,945
Likes: 0
Received 580 Likes on 450 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Your 2009 is a X164 - so you will know - you are in the wrong forum
fabbrisd1 is offline  
Old 08-04-2017, 09:22 AM
  #23  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: 510 Bay Area
Posts: 12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MERCEDES GL450
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 View Post
Your 2009 is a X164 - so you will know - you are in the wrong forum
yeah i realized that after i wrote it. thanks for the heads up. i'll delete my post now.
big1236 is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GL450 GPS Update


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: