GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Thoughts on this car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 07:15 AM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
Thoughts on this car

I might go look at this GL today.
https://www.mbotw.com/inventory/cert...df7ce9ea405111

I'm a bit concerned about the leaks mentioned in the Carfax.
https://www.autoipacket.com/packet-s...A405111#Carfax

Comments? Suggestions? Thanks.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450
Too high of a price ($40k+) on an original MSRP of $76k.

Missing the key Lightning package. No appearance package either.

I think you should be looking for a GL550 instead Last year, a 2013 GL550 was around $56k when I bought my GL450. I think you should be able to get a 2013/2014 GL550 for $50k now.

Then again, you may be ok without the lightning package. As I recall, your ML is not 4MATIC. Strange choice for me, but since you are in Texas, perhaps it is ok compared to Michigan.

Last edited by jlim; 08-02-2017 at 09:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pjw1967 (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 10:21 AM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2013 GL450
love the pano roof in mine (2013 that includes 3rd row roof) ... love my interior lighting package as well as the keyless go ... interior looks clean ..
pjw1967 (08-02-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 08:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 GL450
I purchased a 14 gl450 in march 17 and it had 33k miles and does not have the lightening or appearance package buy has basic blind spot, lane change warning, park assist only, hk audio, full leather with heated and cooled front seats and rear heated seats, easy 3rd row entry, and I paid 43k for it. Your linked especially the 1st car does not have leather and options and priced way too high.
pjw1967 (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 09:44 PM

UPDATE

OK, we bought the car. Got it for a lot less than advertised. They had it there for 9 weeks so we played on that. This little geographical area is colorless, i.e. gray, white, black. Colors are hard to find, so I was pleased to catch this one. The halogens are weak but we rarely drive at night. if we do, we'll likely be in the wifey's ML350 with the lighting package. And I think there are ways to upgrade the headlights if it becomes an issue. BTW are the floor mats supposed to be dark gray? Thanks for the comments.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:08 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
GLC300 (GL350-gone)
Congratulations, and enjoy. Floor mats for that color interior are a shade of brown that matches the trim on the armrests and dash-top, not quite gray not quite brown but absolutely not tan. If you look at it as if they match the armrest I'm sure you'll see that you got the right floor mats.
Up here it's nice to have some super duper floor mats during bad weather, I'm not sure if you care for that down there. If so, I recommend staying away from the WeatherTech. It turns your luxurious vehicle into an Industrial waste bin, hard plastic floors and noisy, too. Instead, I have the Classic Carpet edition of the 3D maxpider floor mats. Laser cut and very lightweight, waterproof but with a carpet finish. They also match the existing tan carpet, not a contrast like the floor mats you have.
Shop around, carpet not the kagu woven rubber style, like this:
http://www.autoanything.com/floor-ma...pet-floor-mats

Seeing as you're already an owner and on the Forum, you know enough to shop on the CPO extension if that's what you choose, no need to pay retail. Also, it's too late now perhaps, but it's always easy to negotiate again Free Major servicing prior to a purchase to save you some money on the next service or delay something like a transmission flush by getting it thrown in at the time of purchase you don't have to think about it for a whole cycle and it cost the selling dealer to do so very little compared to the price you would pay later. Also, there's that timing trick on the prepaid maintenance that you can read about here, buying it so you cover more of the major Services instead of more of the minor ones.

Last edited by mustbebenz; 08-04-2017 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:56 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2013 GL450
Originally Posted by mustbebenz

these look nice ... includes the driver's left foot rest ... how do you wash them ???
Old 08-04-2017, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by vivaitalia
these look nice ... includes the driver's left foot rest ... how do you wash them ???
They do look nice....
Old 08-04-2017, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by mustbebenz
Congratulations, and enjoy. Floor mats for that color interior are a shade of brown that matches the trim on the armrests and dash-top, not quite gray not quite brown but absolutely not tan. If you look at it as if they match the armrest I'm sure you'll see that you got the right floor mats.
Up here it's nice to have some super duper floor mats during bad weather, I'm not sure if you care for that down there. If so, I recommend staying away from the WeatherTech. It turns your luxurious vehicle into an Industrial waste bin, hard plastic floors and noisy, too. Instead, I have the Classic Carpet edition of the 3D maxpider floor mats. Laser cut and very lightweight, waterproof but with a carpet finish. They also match the existing tan carpet, not a contrast like the floor mats you have.

Seeing as you're already an owner and on the Forum, you know enough to shop on the CPO extension if that's what you choose, no need to pay retail. Also, it's too late now perhaps, but it's always easy to negotiate again Free Major servicing prior to a purchase to save you some money on the next service or delay something like a transmission flush by getting it thrown in at the time of purchase you don't have to think about it for a whole cycle and it cost the selling dealer to do so very little compared to the price you would pay later. Also, there's that timing trick on the prepaid maintenance that you can read about here, buying it so you cover more of the major Services instead of more of the minor ones.
Thanks. We did negotiate a pretty nice discount on a prepaid maint plan for the ML350, as the B service is coming up. And thanks for the reminder about the CPO extension. I'm going to try for a 2fer when the time comes.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:45 PM

I know it's close to heresy, but sometimes the simplest solutions work the best. I traded in a '13 Dodge Durango R/T hemi. It was a long as a Tahoe, but 3 in narrower, The GL is about an inch longer and wider than the Durango. One of the criteria for buying the GL was that the golf clubs would go straight in. I measured the clubs and they were 49" deep. The GL could make that. When I got the D, I bought a 3' x 5' commercial floor mat to cover the rear cargo area. It tucked in behind the second row seat. I could roll it up if I had to raise the 3rd row seats. Best of all, it was made to snag crap like the all the grass that comes with golfing equipment. $17.00 at Home Depot. Now 5 years later, it works just fine with the GL. Keeps stuff from tearing the GL's carpet.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:41 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
GLC300 (GL350-gone)
1. we had a reasonably mild winter, did not get too dirty despite the light color, then I removed the driver's side mat and simply rinsed it with the hose quickly. I intended to do more, but was rushed. It cleaned right up with that alone, the dirt rinsed away. Another guy here sort of washes his in his utility sink. Seems like there's no problem however you choose. They're waterproof, but don't seem like it as they're very nice for the money for a utilitarian add.
2. extra CPO is fully refundable before you use it so there's no reason to wait if you have the coin, and the price might go up if you wait. I suggest calling Jeff Jackson at Tafel Motors now just to be sure. He'll let you know, then you may decide from an informed position about waiting to buy or not.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:32 PM

Electrical mods?

Here's one for the lawyers. I had to sign the document as shown. It is not hard to understand. What I hope we can all benefit from is a legal opinion about whether or not this document is an enforceable contract. The Magnusen-Moss Act seems to make the burden of proof that damage to a vehicle by aftermarket activity must be proven by the manufacturer in order to void the warranty. https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011...ermarket-parts
This document does NOT mention that electrical work could void the warranty. What it seems to say is that you must get a dealer mechanic to approve the work ahead of time, which sounds like the dealer will do it and charge you for it. Pls hold back on opinions that are not definite. Let's wait to see if anyone on this forum can speak directly to the issue. I know that a few here are closely associated with dealers like https://mbworld.org/forums/members/2...fabbrisd1.html
Hopefully they can chime in.