GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Keyless Go not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 04:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 GL550 and 2015 GL63 AMG
Keyless Go not working

Bought a 2013 GL550 with many features, including Keyless Go. However, I have noticed that neither of my two keys will allow me to unlock or lock the vehicle doors with the FOB in my pocket. I also cannot use the push button start feature with either FOB in the vehicle or my pocket. I've changed both CR2025 batteries in each FOB but that did not solve the issue. Both FOBs work to unlock and lock the vehicle by pushing the buttons, as well as open the rear hatch. Also, they work in the ignition port to start the vehicle. I have noticed that each has the little red light flash once when I push a button on the FOB, indicating they are operating. I tried the trick of using my phone camera to see the IR light flash when pushing a button, but didn't see any light from the very front of the FOBs. I'm hoping the vehicle I just bought doesn't have an issue that already is going to cost money to fix. Anyone have this issue that can provide some helpful advice? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-23-2017, 05:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2002,ML500
Originally Posted by NolaGL550
Bought a 2013 GL550 with many features, including Keyless Go. However, I have noticed that neither of my two keys will allow me to unlock or lock the vehicle doors with the FOB in my pocket. I also cannot use the push button start feature with either FOB in the vehicle or my pocket. I've changed both CR2025 batteries in each FOB but that did not solve the issue. Both FOBs work to unlock and lock the vehicle by pushing the buttons, as well as open the rear hatch. Also, they work in the ignition port to start the vehicle. I have noticed that each has the little red light flash once when I push a button on the FOB, indicating they are operating. I tried the trick of using my phone camera to see the IR light flash when pushing a button, but didn't see any light from the very front of the FOBs. I'm hoping the vehicle I just bought doesn't have an issue that already is going to cost money to fix. Anyone have this issue that can provide some helpful advice? Thanks in advance!
I would check the keyless start button first, Take out the button and inspect for any damage/ dust/ dirt and clean if necessary.
Cleaning the button is easy and fast. Grab some MAF cleaner / Electrical contact cleaner or Zippo fluid and spray the whole button till all the dirt comes out.

Test and see if it works , If the keyless Start still do not work replace the button with the same part number ( Mercedes Dealer would be able to pull out the part number using your vin do not go for aftermarket) it should be below USD 50. The button is the common culprit for this kind of issues
Old 07-23-2017, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by thaiedwin
I would check the keyless start button first, Take out the button and inspect for any damage/ dust/ dirt and clean if necessary.
Cleaning the button is easy and fast. Grab some MAF cleaner / Electrical contact cleaner or Zippo fluid and spray the whole button till all the dirt comes out.

Test and see if it works , If the keyless Start still do not work replace the button with the same part number ( Mercedes Dealer would be able to pull out the part number using your vin do not go for aftermarket) it should be below USD 50. The button is the common culprit for this kind of issues
Thaiedwin,

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I don't think it's the start button itself. The vehicle didn't come with one, and I picked the car up with the key in the ignition from the dealer. I was in a rush to get the car that day, so I neglected to check the Keyless Go features to unlock/lock the doors, and to test the push button start. I had a respected third party auto-inspection service check out the vehicle before I agreed to the purchase. However, that inspector also neglected to catch the issue. I ordered a new button from Mercedes Benz last week and tried it in the vehicle with the FOB in my pocket: no luck. I'm thinking it has to do with the RF signal antenna, or the key fobs need resetting. Anyone have this issue and find a viable solution?
Old 07-23-2017, 06:20 PM

2002,ML500
Thaiedwin,

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I don't think it's the start button itself. The vehicle didn't come with one, and I picked the car up with the key in the ignition from the dealer. I was in a rush to get the car that day, so I neglected to check the Keyless Go features to unlock/lock the doors, and to test the push button start. I had a respected third party auto-inspection service check out the vehicle before I agreed to the purchase. However, that inspector also neglected to catch the issue. I ordered a new button from Mercedes Benz last week and tried it in the vehicle with the FOB in my pocket: no luck. I'm thinking it has to do with the RF signal antenna, or the key fobs need resetting. Anyone have this issue and find a viable solution?
Unfortunate , This might be a issue that can be only picked up by the SDS , there might be some issues with your all activity module.

You might need to send it in to the Mercedes dealership to get it fixed. Is it a CPO vehicle?
Old 07-23-2017, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by thaiedwin
Unfortunate , This might be a issue that can be only picked up by the SDS , there might be some issues with your all activity module.

You might need to send it in to the Mercedes dealership to get it fixed. Is it a CPO vehicle?
That's my next step after trying a FOB reset technique I found on another Mercedes forum. If that doesn't work, I'm taking it to the local indy-shop to do some diagnostics. I didn't purchase a CPO vehicle, but I was smart enough to get an extended warranty plan from Endurance that covers the car bumper to bumper for another 100k miles or 5 years. I may already have to use the plan to fix this malfunctioning Keyless Go module if that's the real culprit. Thanks again for responding.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:40 PM

2002,ML500
That's my next step after trying a FOB reset technique I found on another Mercedes forum. If that doesn't work, I'm taking it to the local indy-shop to do some diagnostics. I didn't purchase a CPO vehicle, but I was smart enough to get an extended warranty plan from Endurance that covers the car bumper to bumper for another 100k miles or 5 years. I may already have to use the plan to fix this malfunctioning Keyless Go module if that's the real culprit. Thanks again for responding.
I hope the indy have Star Diagnostic System. As without the SDS they would not be able to reprogram the Keyless Go.

The FOB reset technique is for older keys such as the ML up to MY2005. It is the flip keys as they do not open the doors without doing the sync on the FOB.

Another method to do reset is to leave the key in the ignition for 1hour I cant remember if it is at position 0 or position 1.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:53 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450
Are you certain the vehicle is equipped with keyless go? Was it indicated on the build sheet or window sticker? On the vehicle door handle, do you see a little rectangular marking? It would be present on all 4 doors.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:24 PM

2002,ML500
Originally Posted by jlim
Are you certain the vehicle is equipped with keyless go? Was it indicated on the build sheet or window sticker? On the vehicle door handle, do you see a little rectangular marking? It would be present on all 4 doors.

he did indicated that that he has keyless go and able lock and unlock the car with the key in his pocket
Old 07-23-2017, 11:28 PM

2014 GL450
No. That's not what OP said.

>>
However, I have noticed that neither of my two keys will allow me to unlock or lock the vehicle doors with the FOB in my pocket.
<<
Old 07-23-2017, 11:57 PM

2002,ML500
Ahh I must have missed that.

anyway OP if u are on do send me a PM or post your Vin here I could check if your car is equipped with keyless go
Old 07-24-2017, 09:18 AM

Yes, I have run the VIN through several online decoders and they all indicate the vehicle is equipped with Keyless Go. Plus it has the push button start option which also indicates Keyless Go is on the vehicle.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:47 AM

2014 GL450
Yes, I have run the VIN through several online decoders and they all indicate the vehicle is equipped with Keyless Go. Plus it has the push button start option which also indicates Keyless Go is on the vehicle.
With the key in your pocket, what happens when you:

1. touch the little square on any of the door handles? Does it lock the car (if unlock) or re-locked if previously locked? You said previously, it does nothing correct?

2. Put your fingers behind the door handle but not pulling it. Does it unlock the door if it was previously locked?

Repeat for each door handle.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:59 AM

With the key in your pocket, what happens when you:

1. touch the little square on any of the door handles? Does it lock the car (if unlock) or re-locked if previously locked? You said previously, it does nothing correct?

2. Put your fingers behind the door handle but not pulling it. Does it unlock the door if it was previously locked?

Repeat for each door handle.
Nothing happens when I touch, pull, touch and pull, push the square indentations on the door handles. Also, nothing happens when I press the brake with my foot and push the start button.

I did discover a strange issue yesterday while testing out all the door handles. The right passenger rear door opens when I have the vehicle locked, which then sets off the alarm. I guess I have a bigger problem than the Keyless Go not working now.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:37 AM

2014 GL450

I did discover a strange issue yesterday while testing out all the door handles. The right passenger rear door opens when I have the vehicle locked, which then sets off the alarm. I guess I have a bigger problem than the Keyless Go not working now.
Ok, see this thread for this issue.

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ning-door.html
The following users liked this post:
NolaGL550 (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 10:49 AM

Thumbs up

Ok, see this thread for this issue.

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ning-door.html
Thanks, jlim! I just read the post you linked to and it seems this is somewhat common. I'm taking the vehicle to my indy shop today to have them run the SDS and find out what's causing the issue. I'll repost once I have an update on the repair diagnosis.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:03 PM

2002,ML500
Ok with so many issues the first I would think of is the failing auxiliary battery.

the door module would have to be replaced since you have that issue.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:25 PM

So, I took it to the indy shop. They were very professional and ran their diagnostic equipment on the vehicle. Cost about $110 for the diagnostic service. The shop uses the MB-Xentry system, so they cannot reprogram any modules, including the Keyless Go (N69/5) module. Three issues popped up: one was the SAM module (N10) had a previous fault stored which showed as a black lower case "f", the KG module (N69/5) had a major fault shown as a red exclamation mark, and the other was the HBF rear control panel (N72/2) which also showed a fault with a red exclamation mark. Lastly, they heard a rattle from the engine during startup that lasted about 2 seconds, and realized the timing chain tensioners are failing. So, thank GOD I purchased the extended warranty! I'll be taking the vehicle into the local Merc dealership in about two weeks to have them replace and reprogram both modules, then possibly replace the timing chain tensioners and look for any other issues. If I'm only out the $100 deductible for the warranty, then I'm going to have dodged a "bullet" here with this used car purchase.

Last edited by NolaGL550; 08-01-2017 at 09:49 PM. Reason: incorrect module names listed
Old 07-25-2017, 01:58 PM

2002,ML500
You should not punch the sales , as they don't know what issues the car have but the Tech and inspector.

lucky you right now!
Old 07-25-2017, 02:20 PM

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
2013 E550 Sedan
So, I took it to the indy shop. They were very professional and ran their diagnostic equipment on the vehicle. Cost about $110 for the diagnostic service. Two issues popped up: one was the SAM module and the other was the RAF module that mounts to the top of the rear of vehicle. Lastly, they heard a rattle from the engine during startup that lasted about 2 seconds, and realized the timing chain tensioners are failing. So, thank GOD I purchased the extended warranty. I'll be taking the vehicle into the local Merc dealership in about a week to have them replace and reprogram both modules (must use SDS to reprogram), then possibly replace the timing chain tensioners and look for any other issues. If I could punch both the guy I bought the car from and the inspector I paid to do his best to find any problems, then I might feel better about this vehicle purchase.
There is a M-B XENTRY service bulletin L105. 10-P-056435 that covers this. I would check with a local M-B dealer to have it corrected. I had my 2013 E550 done recently, and it made a huge difference at startup. Good Luck!
Old 07-25-2017, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by davidjohnbamber
There is a M-B XENTRY service bulletin L105. 10-P-056435 that covers this. I would check with a local M-B dealer to have it corrected. I had my 2013 E550 done recently, and it made a huge difference at startup. Good Luck!
Thanks for the info! I'll let the M-B service advisor know about that service bulletin when I take the vehicle in next week. Was the repair a reprogram or a mechanical fix on your E550 for the rattling at startup?
Old 07-25-2017, 02:44 PM

2013 E550 Sedan
Thanks for the info! I'll let the M-B service advisor know about that service bulletin when I take the vehicle in next week. Was the repair a reprogram or a mechanical fix on your E550 for the rattling at startup?
Depending on the Engine # the secondary timing chain tensioners were replaced, and on mine check valves for the tensioners were replaced also. The repair ended up taking 3 1/2 weeks, when upon completion, they found a leaking turbo coolant line, requiring more parts.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by davidjohnbamber
Depending on the Engine # the secondary timing chain tensioners were replaced, and on mine check valves for the tensioners were replaced also. The repair ended up taking 3 1/2 weeks, when upon completion, they found a leaking turbo coolant line, requiring more parts.
Well I certainly am concerned about the timing chain tensioners, but I hope it's not a 3 1/2 week ordeal for me too. If they find anything other than the tensioner failing and a few modules that need to be replaced, I'm screwed. I've just got a few weeks to wait it out before my extended warranty I purchased kicks in. I'm a bit concerned they may not cover the modules since they control mostly the convenience features. Will have to wait and see.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:54 PM

2013 E550 Sedan
I didn't feel it was an ordeal in my case. I got to drive a S213 E400 for a loaner.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:55 PM

So, I took it to the indy shop. They were very professional and ran their diagnostic equipment on the vehicle. Cost about $110 for the diagnostic service. The shop uses the MB-Xentry system, so they cannot reprogram any modules, including the Keyless Go (N69/5) module. Three issues popped up: one was the SAM module (N10) had a previous fault stored which showed as a black lower case "f", the KG module (N69/5) had a major fault shown as a red exclamation mark, and the other was the HBF rear control panel (N72/2) which also showed a fault with a red exclamation mark. Lastly, they heard a rattle from the engine during startup that lasted about 2 seconds, and realized the timing chain tensioners are failing. So, thank GOD I purchased the extended warranty! I'll be taking the vehicle into the local Merc dealership in about two weeks to have them replace and reprogram both modules, then possibly replace the timing chain tensioners and look for any other issues. If I'm only out the $100 deductible for the warranty, then I'm going to have dodged a "bullet" here with this used car purchase.
Updated my post from 7/25/17 to include the module names, system codes, and the fault identifying marks from the MB-Xentry diagnostic printout. Still waiting until the warranty goes active before scheduling the repairs, but other than those issues, the vehicle has been driving and riding amazingly. If I can get my KG system functional again, this vehicle will be top notch again!
Old 08-01-2017, 10:34 PM

2013 E550 Sedan
I would try contacting M-B USA to discuss your "engine rattle on start up issues". Myself, I would consider this repair to be N/C!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Keyless Go not working