GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Lease Buy Back question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GL450
Lease Buy Back question

Hey Everyone - I leased a 2015 GL450 that is coming due in Jan 2018. I'm about 15,000 (36,000 miles at the moment) over on mileage (work miles) and will am about to have the brakes and tires replaced.

We love the car and its performed flawlessly. We are pretty much set on buying it back, having it CPO'd and keeping it for a while.

The buyback on the car is $50,050, plus cost of CPO at MB Dealer (which I've already negotiated to a price I think is fair).

Here's my question...is there anyway to negotiate the buy back price of the car with the dealer that will be CPO'ing it and handling the transaction? I know MBFS won't negotiate with me, but I've read that dealers are able to negoatiate/purchase the car for less than the buy back from MBFS.

Any idea how this works and if there's anyway for me to save some $$ on the buy back?

I'm trying to understand how this process works from the dealer's perspective. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
1. You are not restricted to the dealer your purchased the GL from - you can return to any Mercedes dealer (hint - the Mercedes dealer you choose)

2. MBFS can sell to you at the residual stated in the contract

3. the Mercedes dealer who you return the car to does have ability to buy the GL from MBFS - based on miles and condition - that lower dealer purchase price - let's call that "x"

4. The dealers cost to Certify the car will be their-acquisition cost+ their per unit handling cost/usually fixed charge + cost for CPO service + cost CPO warranty.

5. You are saying you are putting on new tires (and note MUST be Mercedes approved brand/model tire for the CPO) - so you "save" that major service item cost

6. Most of the time for a GL - since you are doing the tires (again it must be approved tires again for CPO) - you "should be able to buy from that dealer at "about" $47K-$48K serviced and Certified. Buying at MSFS price + added cost Certified - that's not as good as it "could" be for you frankly.
The following users liked this post:
LKTB_E63 (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GL450
Thanks a lot!

Exactly what I was suspecting. Completely agree on buying MB approved wheels and only using OEM brakes.

I had a dealer offer me a Demo 2017 GL450 with 4K yesterday at $69K ($80K MSRP) and take me out of my lease (covering $4K of over mileage).

Still probably going to buy my car, but just want to understand cost. Thanks again
Old 10-05-2017, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
My recommendation - move forward - I have very few customers buy at lease end - the only valid reason is "family transfer" of their well cared for GL to another family member.

The reason for "move forward" such nice new stuff - and frankly the GLS is smoother and more comfortable - especially drive and front passenger and drive with dash redesign - more "chest room" - leading to "more comfortable forward cabin" feeling. Car-Play/Android-Auto a positive for most.

I liked the X166 from the very start - my customers who switched 12/13 GL to something esle - have all come back have all come back to 16/17 GLS - and I mean all.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
None
fabbrisd1 - How does the Manheim price typically compare to the price that the dealer can buy the car from MBFS for?