GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Trailer coupling screen missing in Command

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking
Trailer coupling screen missing in Command

i have a new to me 2014 gl 550with a trailer hitch. The manual shows a feature that gives a straight line view from the rear camera, with the line centered on the trailer hitch. There is apparently supposed to be a little car/trailer icon on the lower right of the rear camera view when reverse is selected. I have no such icon and cant find the hitch coupling view as shown in the manual. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 11-24-2017, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Please understand that your Owner's Manual covers all available factory installed features for your ytr/model Mercedes - as a result the manual can show factory installed features that your ML simply does not have.

I say this - the factory installed trailer hitch package includes added wiring from the hitch into the ML - taht then gives you that COMAND rear-view camera feature - and also gives you Anti See-Saw stability control when hooked up - and gives you a factory connector up front to hook up a brake controller as well - stuff like that with the factory installed package.

If you check the Window-Sticker/Factory-Spec-Sheet - I think you will find your ML does not have the Factory-Trailer-Hitch package - but rather the trailer hitch was added by a subsequent owner.

A add-on hitch gives you the hitch and trailer wiring - to get the features of the factory trailer package would cost about $1600+ - requires at minimum a added MB harness from the rear up to the front console - pricey - and very labor intensive.

The good news is the a properly installed aftermarket/added hitch has the same towing capacity as the factory hitch package - a added hitch just doesn't same added electronic/connectivity features.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:57 PM

Looking
The trailer coupling

thanks. My hitch was a factory installed option so i guess i need to have a dealer reflash Command to turn things on.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
You have a factory spec sheet that shows the factory installed option ?
Old 11-30-2017, 09:20 PM

Looking
I do. At least when i run the vin it shows tow package.