GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

COMAND speed limits

Old 12-05-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL 350 Bluetec
COMAND speed limits

I have a 2014 GL with factory original COMAND 4.5 navigation. It does not display speed limits, a feature every other modern automotive GPS provides.

In doing some internet searching, I come across mb.navigation.com where you plug in your vehicle year/model and it shows what navigation update you need.

So I pick my 2014 GL and it shows NTG4.5 V17.0 COMAND 2017 page (http://mb.navigation.com/product-lis...en_US/MBNA/USD).

On that page, the very first bold line item says exactly this:
Speed Limits feature improves the accuracy of estimated arrival times, allows for more routing choices, and helps drivers avoid traffic violations
So I take that to mean that it provides the originally missing feature to show speed limits, or at least possibly warn about exceeding speed limit. Otherwise, how could it possibly "help drivers avoid traffic violations"?

But no, after $249 purchase from my dealer to update my COMAND nav it still doesn't show speed limits.

So I called the number on the mb.navigation.com site, and they said I'd need to speak with mbusa customer care because mbusa owns and provides the content for that product page.

So I called mbusa customer care who said that by "help drivers avoid traffic violations", they mean that by providing better estimated arrival time based on internal speed limit data the driver shouldn't need to speed.

Does this advertised "Speed Limit" feature of the nav update on mb.navigation.com seem deceptive to anyone else?
Old 12-13-2017, 01:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 E350 Wagon
I would not call it deceptive, but not as clearly stated as it should be.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:38 AM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
Originally Posted by tommcg
I have a 2014 GL with factory original COMAND 4.5 navigation. It does not display speed limits, a feature every other modern automotive GPS provides.

In doing some internet searching, I come across mb.navigation.com where you plug in your vehicle year/model and it shows what navigation update you need.

So I pick my 2014 GL and it shows NTG4.5 V17.0 COMAND 2017 page (http://mb.navigation.com/product-lis...en_US/MBNA/USD).

On that page, the very first bold line item says exactly this:
So I take that to mean that it provides the originally missing feature to show speed limits, or at least possibly warn about exceeding speed limit. Otherwise, how could it possibly "help drivers avoid traffic violations"?

But no, after $249 purchase from my dealer to update my COMAND nav it still doesn't show speed limits.

So I called the number on the mb.navigation.com site, and they said I'd need to speak with mbusa customer care because mbusa owns and provides the content for that product page.

So I called mbusa customer care who said that by "help drivers avoid traffic violations", they mean that by providing better estimated arrival time based on internal speed limit data the driver shouldn't need to speed.

Does this advertised "Speed Limit" feature of the nav update on mb.navigation.com seem deceptive to anyone else?
I agree with you. That line wording really cannot be read any other way than to indicate the nav will show you speed limits. If MB's verbal response was without hesitation, then I would postulate that yours wasn't their first complaint, and they had that weak response at their fingertips, or on the tip of their tongue as the case may be....
The following users liked this post:
tommcg (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 08:55 AM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
BTW, I scrolled through the MY 2018 Comand Manual and saw no reference to speed limits anywhere.
https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...GLS_COMAND.pdf