GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Cancelled order for 18' Navigator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bmw 750li, Tesla S85d, Tesla X100d, Toyota sequoia, MB SL550
Cancelled order for 18' Navigator

I was so looking forward to taking delivery of my GL450 until I found out that it came with crappy Halogen headlights and no running boards. I assumed if one does not opt for the LED headlights, you atleast get HID's. Oh no, come to find out they are crappy halogens. I also didn't opt for the lighted running boards, assuming it came with running boards just not lighted ones. I asked my dealer if he could modify the order and the answer was no on the headlights, possibly on the running boards. So I cancelled the order while the dealer was going to look for an acceptable swap. Then they released the navigator.

The pro's are large touch screen up front, much better rear seat entertainment, 2nd row console. Major con is no steering assist and fugly backside.
I enjoyed reading all of your posts and the education I received here. Still have my 2007 Sl550!
The following users liked this post:
Neurobit (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 01:35 PM

Received 201 Likes on 143 Posts
2021 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Congratulations, looks like a really nice vehicle. Agree with the backside though, not my favorite.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:07 PM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
2017 GLC300 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
Congrats on the car, ya one of the pitfalls of getting MB, even at CPO level, you pay alot for features that should be standard on the car, but you have to look diligently for the options you want.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:32 AM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
This loss is on the dealer. How does a CA not explain all of the options to a customer when placing an order? This is a Mercedes, not an Acura, Lexus, etc. I expect the average off the street Joe Buyer to mistakenly "assume" things like nav, leather, and HID's to be standard. But anyone who knows Mercedes or BMW, and especially someone who sells them for a living, I expect to know that such items are optional. I'm not going to get into that debate as to why they're not, just look at the engine, suspension, and safety features that you are getting standard. And the you decide which of the other fluff items you would or would not want to pay for. Some people don't like the running boards as it gets their pants dirty, nevermind lighted ones. A family w/ kids might prefer mb-tex instead of leather and instead put that money towards the rear entertainment system to keep them busy.

Congrats to the OP on the new Navigator. My co-worker has a '12 that he has never had an issue with until recently. Had to replace the battery a few weeks ago.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
The Navis and the Expos look nice, the only thing I don't like are the Navi's wheels.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
2017 GLC300 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
Originally Posted by skw
This loss is on the dealer. How does a CA not explain all of the options to a customer when placing an order? This is a Mercedes, not an Acura, Lexus, etc. I expect the average off the street Joe Buyer to mistakenly "assume" things like nav, leather, and HID's to be standard. But anyone who knows Mercedes or BMW, and especially someone who sells them for a living, I expect to know that such items are optional. I'm not going to get into that debate as to why they're not, just look at the engine, suspension, and safety features that you are getting standard. And the you decide which of the other fluff items you would or would not want to pay for. Some people don't like the running boards as it gets their pants dirty, nevermind lighted ones. A family w/ kids might prefer mb-tex instead of leather and instead put that money towards the rear entertainment system to keep them busy.

Congrats to the OP on the new Navigator. My co-worker has a '12 that he has never had an issue with until recently. Had to replace the battery a few weeks ago.
I agree with you, but generally speaking if your paying 60k - 100k for the GLE/GLS (new) you might as well get the options that make mercedes what it is. But i dont expect every average joe looking to buy a mercedes to go and say Hey im looking for X, I assume most take the ones they get and drive it without the dealer telling them, ok so this one has the Halogens and you'll see less driving at night time, compared to "oh this one has LED, youll see everything"
Old 01-01-2018, 10:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 GL450
I agree about those MB options. Halogens are a nuisance to replace all the time and aren't that bright.
I can't believe how useful the running boards are. I find it easier getting in the driver seat and getting my daughter out of her car seat in the third row with it. They look good, too.