GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

GL320 CDI - Whoosh sound , limp power CEL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 320 CDi
Unhappy GL320 CDI - Whoosh sound , limp power CEL

Been wrestling with this all week.
I have a 110,000 Mile 2008 ( built 10/2007) GL320 CDI. It suddenly started losing power, but I was able to get it home.
CEL comes on. CODES are : P0299, P0101, P1101 and one that says N/A ( I have a basic OBDII)
I can hear a rushing inhaling air sound coming from the engine compartment when I rev while driving on the road with windows open. And I feel a delay in power delivery.

I removed the upper plastic pipe that connects into the turbo. The orange seal is fine, but the outer plastic that clamps down has a small break in it. I don't think it affects. Their is another hose connection that comes in from the side, that also has an orange seal, the seal connection is not very tight, but it looks like thats the way it should be.
It just sounds like a hole in hose or a vacuum leak, and i can't figure it out.

Background...
Car was serviced a year ago, after I spotted a leak, and I replaced almost everything, including pulleys, belts and other miscellaneous seals. Was around $2,500. Recently has to replace an air shock and a compressor. Hasn't been the best purchase I've made, but I love my diesels and really want it back on the road. I'm out of funds, so I need to try to diagnose this myself.

These videos were kind of useful:

Any ideas. Need help badly. At wits end here.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 320 CDi
Thumbs up SOLVED. Boost Pressure - Whoosh sound.

Issue SOLVED!

Had AAA tow it to my mechanic. He immediately spotted a SENSOR ( AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR) that was missing in the Hose on the front left of the car. A piece of the SERPENTINE belt had shredded off, and probably hit it off.
The missing sensor created a gaping hole. Sensor was $42. Fixed.
Now I have to keep an eye on the belt. I replaced it, and the Tension pulley and one other pulley. Got it at AZautohausz ( $100 for belt tension pulley and another pulley).
Note that in my year ( 2008) the BELT can be an 7 belt or an 8 tooth
Old 12-18-2017, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
In the future - please understand your 2008 GL is a X164 - this X166 forum is for 2013+... thanks..