Notices
GL Class (X166) 2013-Present

A really excellent read

 
Old 02-24-2018, 12:53 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Dutchess County NY
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL350
A really excellent read(DIESELS)

http://www.stephensservice.com/bluet...ssuesproblems/

this is a excellent read on our cars. I have owned a bluetec since 2010 and drive roughly have 12 mile round trip back and fourth to work, in the 8 years owning my ml i put on roughly 62,000 miles on it. I followed Mercedes maintenance schedule in the beginning until around 30000 miles when I went to change my oil (I do my own maintenance from the beginning) and nothing came out. I was in shock when i took the bolt off i noticed sludge and no oil coming out. I closed it back up and started doing research like crazy on it and that's how i came across the link above. But first to get ride of the sludge i got seafoam and poured it into the crankcase and performed multiple oil changes in a 2000 mile period, it took about three to get all the gunk that was built up inside. After all that was done I decided to change my oil every 4000 miles and I also decided to change my air filter which was very dirty even 10,000 earlier then what Benz recommends. I changed my fuel filter, coolant, tranny, diff, basically all fluids.

I hope you guys read what Stephen has to say as it makes complete sense. 95% of the problems on these cars can be fixed with doing preventative maintenance way earlier then what Mercedes benz recommends.

with my 2015 gl350 I am changing my oils every 3500 miles on it, doing the air filter every 25,000 on it including the other fluids, tranny, coolant, diff etc. Doing this maintenance schedule i believe will let me drive this car 10 years plus with no problems. I understand we have other factors that can happen, but these diesel fall under oil problem way to often.

let me know what you guys think Stephens post, after all he is trying to help us.

Last edited by ooklaa65; 02-24-2018 at 03:24 PM.
ooklaa65 is offline  
Old 02-24-2018, 01:40 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Jason B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 3,349
Received 117 Likes on 97 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Cool, but you might want to edit the thread to said this is for GL350 Diesel.
Jason B is offline  
Old 02-24-2018, 02:12 PM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Land of Political Criminals and Urban Shootings
Posts: 3,180
Received 158 Likes on 145 Posts
2013 GL550
Sludge is just the tip of the iceberg. Mercedes has been building pretty crappy diesel engines for decades. The recirculated exhaust in the name of cleaner emissions clogs up the ports to the point that almost nothing can get through them, at which point they need to either be replaced or the engine torn down. Then 30-50k miles later, the problem returns. The GL350 may return great mileage for a big SUV, but I'd never consider owning one because they can be a huge PITA.
DaveW68 is offline  
Old 02-24-2018, 03:05 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Dutchess County NY
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL350
Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
Cool, but you might want to edit the thread to said this is for GL350 Diesel.
I posted in the right forum which the gl350 falls into.
ooklaa65 is offline  
Old 02-24-2018, 03:14 PM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Jason B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 3,349
Received 117 Likes on 97 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by ooklaa65 View Post
I posted in the right forum which the gl350 falls into.
No, I'm saying the TITLE of your post. Add GL350 to it or mention diesels, since the article is about DIESEL engine. It might scare others that see this and think it's for the gas when they skim this.

For ex: "A really excellent read on bluetech diesels". That model is less than 5% of people, but you will have more people clicking on it that have a diesel if you edit title. Hope it makes sense now.

Last edited by Jason B; 02-24-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Jason B is offline  
Old 02-24-2018, 03:18 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Dutchess County NY
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL350
Originally Posted by DaveW68 View Post
Sludge is just the tip of the iceberg. Mercedes has been building pretty crappy diesel engines for decades. The recirculated exhaust in the name of cleaner emissions clogs up the ports to the point that almost nothing can get through them, at which point they need to either be replaced or the engine torn down. Then 30-50k miles later, the problem returns. The GL350 may return great mileage for a big SUV, but I'd never consider owning one because they can be a huge PITA.
Egr are not hard to clean and are part of maintaining a new diesel. And since you never owned one you lack any knowledge of real experience.
ooklaa65 is offline  
Old 02-24-2018, 03:22 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Dutchess County NY
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL350
Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
No, I'm saying the TITLE of your post. Add GL350 to it or mention diesels, since the article is about DIESEL engine. It might scare others that see this and think it's for the gas when they skim this.

For ex: "A really excellent read on bluetech diesels". That model is less than 5% of people, but you will have more people clicking on it that have a diesel if you edit title. Hope it makes sense now.
Ok lol sorry I fixed it.

Last edited by ooklaa65; 02-24-2018 at 03:25 PM.
ooklaa65 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Jason B (02-24-2018)
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A really excellent read


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: