GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Advice needed. Cold weather. GL450 can get raised but can't get lower.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 12:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL 450
Advice needed. Cold weather. GL450 can get raised but can't get lower.

2013 GL450 50K

I drove 300 miles from WA to Canada BC ski resort. Temperature dropped to -8F and while driving on highway "air suspension malfunction" message came up and I noticed that car became really bumpy.
I pulled over, rear side was at lowest position. The road condition was packed snow, I inspected the bottom of the car and it was completely covered with ice, including airmatic rear sensors.
I turned on the car and tried to raise it, it worked fine, but i when i tried to lower it, error message came up again. I was in the middle of nowhere so I continued driving on the raised car. As soon as I reached 50mh it tried to lower it and I got the message again. After couple hours of driving, I repeated the same procedure to raise the car and continue driving until I reached my destination. Basically car can be raised, but can't be lowered. Does this sound weird? Is it safe to drive home with this issue?

I'm in small Canadian village, the closest MB dealer is 150 miles away. Taking car to a dealer would mean ruined winter vacation for my family. I think I can find some local mechanics, not sure what they will be able to do tho

Please give me your advise. I'm desperate. Thank you.

Last edited by studioab; 02-19-2018 at 02:39 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Hey mate,

you have the problem that affects each and everyone of us.

A leaking strut/airbag.

Most likely your rear air bag is leaking. These are wear and tear items that will start to leak around 5-7 years requiring replacement.

Yours are right on time. If you have an extended warranty, it should be covered.

You can drive home with it, but you risk burning out your compressor....which might be close already.

Its an easy job, if you’re really in a bind contact Arnott. They build and sell replacement struts and airbags with a lifetime warranty that forum members have raves about.
Im sure they can get it shipped to you and if necessary a local mechanic can install under your supervision.

In in the meantime....enjoy the après-ski.

Cheers!
Old 02-20-2018, 09:25 PM

2011 GL 450
I had no other options. Ended up driving to closest dealer. Two rear bags have to be replaced. Parts and labor 1600 CAD. Does this sound reasonable?
Old 02-20-2018, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by studioab
I had no other options. Ended up driving to closest dealer. Two rear bags have to be replaced. Parts and labor 1600 CAD. Does this sound reasonable?

Sounds about right. And you're cad so cheaper to...

Would ask how many hours theyre charging. The techs at this point can swap them out in a jiffy.

Budget your front to soon. Or research independent mechanics and Arnott.

If you want I can fish out my receipt for my airbag repairs.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:45 PM

2011 GL 450
Here is the update. I'm still at ski resort and was planning to pick up my car on the way back tomorrow morning. SA called me today to let me know that they replaced two rear bags, everything is fine except (his words) one little thing "malfunction message" is still popping up. They assured me they checked and tested every single component and there is no leaks or failures, but they couldn't get rid of the error message. They need few more days to diagnose it, they are saying it is totally fine to drive.

I can't wait any longer and need to come back home. What would you recommend? Any ideas why message is still coming up?
Old 02-21-2018, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by studioab
Here is the update. I'm still at ski resort and was planning to pick up my car on the way back tomorrow morning. SA called me today to let me know that they replaced two rear bags, everything is fine except (his words) one little thing "malfunction message" is still popping up. They assured me they checked and tested every single component and there is no leaks or failures, but they couldn't get rid of the error message. They need few more days to diagnose it, they are saying it is totally fine to drive.

I can't wait any longer and need to come back home. What would you recommend? Any ideas why message is still coming up?
Maybe it's the valve block. Or maybe they just haven't cleared it correctly.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
If the message is there, there's a fault they can process to find out why.

My guess, based on your description of what it's doing, is a level sensor got damaged with the ice and the level adjustment isn't happening correctly.

Did they reset the ride height after the bag replacement? Not normally necessary if it's just a leaky bag, but your case wasn't a simple leak. If it was, it would have gone up and down normally, but sagged when the vehicle is left turned off.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:09 PM

2011 GL 450
This topic is closed.

I started a new thread here

Thank you for your help.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:22 PM

2011 GL 450
Thank you for helping.

Last edited by studioab; 02-25-2018 at 12:31 PM.