GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Morimoto HID Conversion Kit - FAIL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 05:28 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2013 GL450
Morimoto HID Conversion Kit - FAIL

so I just installed the Morimoto HID kit with the canbus canceller on my 2013 GL450, using the original halogen projectors ... AND IT is AMAZING ... well well well worth the money ... BUT the damn on board electronics will not recognize the canbus canceler consistently … of course the dash board would flash “Check Right Low Beams” “Check Left Low Beams" ... as soon as I change gears (from Park to Reverse, from Park to Drive) ... the bulbs would slowly go off, then on, then off ... I test drove this at night in my neighborhood just before taking the car out on open road … as I’m driving for a few seconds, the lights would go off then a few seconds later, come back on, and then off … so freaking frustrating … The Morimoto bulb base is the only one that has the flat metal base that would fit an aftermarket adapter (I bought separately on Amazon) and that the cord is detachable from the bulb itself for ease of installation and handling … but the onboard computer will NOT consistently recognize the canbus canceler …. HAS anyone success fully (for the long term) installed a HID conversion kit? Anyone? Aarrggghhhhh
Old 05-04-2018, 06:17 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Originally Posted by vivaitalia
so I just installed the Morimoto HID kit with the canbus canceller on my 2013 GL450, using the original halogen projectors ... AND IT is AMAZING ... well well well worth the money ... BUT the damn on board electronics will not recognize the canbus canceler consistently … of course the dash board would flash “Check Right Low Beams” “Check Left Low Beams" ... as soon as I change gears (from Park to Reverse, from Park to Drive) ... the bulbs would slowly go off, then on, then off ... I test drove this at night in my neighborhood just before taking the car out on open road … as I’m driving for a few seconds, the lights would go off then a few seconds later, come back on, and then off … so freaking frustrating … The Morimoto bulb base is the only one that has the flat metal base that would fit an aftermarket adapter (I bought separately on Amazon) and that the cord is detachable from the bulb itself for ease of installation and handling … but the onboard computer will NOT consistently recognize the canbus canceler …. HAS anyone success fully (for the long term) installed a HID conversion kit? Anyone? Aarrggghhhhh
I would not recommend the Morimoto kit for newer G/M line MBs. We've done extensive testing with the Mbworld community to custom configure a hybrid kit that works best with your SAM.

http://www.aznoptics.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=118

This hybrid configuration has proven to work the best.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:28 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2013 GL450
I appreciate the feedback and response ... but it's a bit short/light on description ... if one were to "start from scratch" what does your kit includes ... line item by line item if possible so I can understand the parts and how they fit etc ... the kit I bought came with: 2 Xeon Bulbs (55w at 6500K), 2 igniters, 2 bulb connectors, 1 relay harness (which ended up not needed in lieu of the standalone canbus), 1 Standalone canbus (kit of 2), and 2 ballasts ... thanks AZN ...

Last edited by vivaitalia; 05-04-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:33 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Originally Posted by vivaitalia
I appreciate the feedback and response ... but it's a bit short/light on description ... if one were to "start from scratch" what does your kit includes ... line item by line item if possible so I can understand the parts and how they fit etc ... the kit I bought came with: 2 Xeon Bulbs (55w at 6500K), 2 igniters, 2 bulb connectors, 1 relay harness (which ended up not needed in lieu of the standalone canbus), 1 Standalone canbus (kit of 2), and 2 ballasts ... thanks AZN ...
Really the only Morimoto part you have that would be reused would be the bulb and bulb wire. Everything else would by Hylux components.

If interested, we could help you out by selling you just the Hylux pieces you'd need?
The following users liked this post:
vivaitalia (05-05-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 856 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Lots of options out there that will work just fine. Been running a combination similar to this for many years in my GL.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Canbus-E...YAAOSwgZ1XrURZ
https://www.ebay.com/itm/35W-55W-H7-...J2ggl4F24R6boA
https://www.ebay.com/itm/H7-4300k-55...cAAOSwTapV3xB7
The following users liked this post:
vivaitalia (05-05-2018)