GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Help A Newbie Out!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 07:19 PM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
Help A Newbie Out!

Hi guys I’m brand new to the forum!

A couple years ago I used to lurk here on the C class section as I was a fan of the new model and was in the market for a C 43 but ended up going to Audi and opted for a bigger car.

A couple of days ago we turned in the wife’s lease. She had a 2015 GLK 350 that she picked up back in her single days. The car was very good and we didn’t have any issues with it and I personally was a big fan of the 4matic system up here in the Northland and felt that the car was u stoppable when put on snow tires. The reason we didn’t want to hold on to it is the size. We need something bigger now that we got married and have a baby and dogs and all that.

We were gonna take a few months to decide on the next family SUV. I’ve wanted her to consider the GLE63, X5M but her heart was set on the new Range Rover. Anyways, as we were finalizing the lease turn in paperwork I ran into our original salesman and he showed me this 2015 GL63. 31k Miles. Black on black. Offered as CPO with two year warranty and two year pre paid service. Asking $68k. I had my wife look at it and she was very impressed with the vehicle. He wanted us to drive and talk deal but I had a meeting to go to and asked to return next week. He didn’t think the car would be available by then but I wasn’t too worried. I wasn’t ready to make a purchase on the spot and felt I needed to research it and take my time. If it sells in the meantime I wish the future owner all the best but a transaction like this I was not going to do under pressure.

Anyways, trying to get to the point I promise! I have a couple of concerns hoping y’all would help me with. Looking at the original window sticker it seems this was more of a “stripper” GL63 if you can get away with calling a $120k+ car that. I historically have never fancied black exterior, since I’ve felt it hides the design elements but here it doesn’t bother that much. Same for interior, Black is a bit claustrophobic but with the Nappa leather and contrast stitching it actually looks nice. Anyways here are a couple questions:

1. Any major issues with these trucks I should be looking out for? Any thing to look out for at the test drive? I am not a wencher, and the last used car I’d purchased was a $1000 ‘95 Oldsmobile with 180k miles on it and I’ve only had new cars since.
2. Is the Harman Kardon system any good?
3. Price wise any thoughts?
4. Would I be happier spending more on a GLS? Any dramatic hanged between the two that would affect the ownership?

Thank you so much if you’ve made it this far and appreciate your help.

Cheers!
Dunga

ps: I posted the above in the AMG section but got no participation. I’ve copied it here hoping for some input before I got test drive it.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 gl550
disclaimer: i'm relatively new owner of 14 gl550.

1) i wouldn't be the best person to answer but cost of ownership (no surprise) seems high for this car. rotor + brake pad changes are like $3k at dealer. i've found local MB certified technician so i think i can save some from there. i don't think i'll go to the dealer for maintenance.
2) i don't have sensitive ears. HK sound system is enough for me. mine has like 13 speakers all around. good enough.
3) i usually check cargurus.com for price fairness. but in general you can get a lot of new cars at $68k. i too was huge fan of LR cars and was looking into new disco. however the reliability of the brand stopped me from buying one. with 68k many SUVs fall under that range. LR Disco, Q7, X5, etc. something to think about. and other thread suggested that there isn't huge difference between gl550 and Gl63. in fact, cost of ownership is higher for GL63 partly due to brembo brakes.
4) GLS definitely has more trendy look and feel (e.g LED, latest design theme), but overall i like previous GL design better. more defined and straight(er) lines. but that's just my preference. i'm too sure about difference in electrical stuff.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:37 AM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
Thanks for your reply. I will go drive it Tuesday if it doesn’t sell by then. Cheers.