GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

First time Poster - Have questions on Extended Warranty Costs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
First time Poster - Have questions on Extended Warranty Costs

Hi All,

First time poster - happy to be joining the MB family. I've had Acura's, Audi's/VW's, BMW's, and Volvo's in the past but this is my first Mercedes. A 2015 GL450 w/41k miles on it. When buying from the dealer they offered an extended warranty that apparently covers everything for an additional 6 years or incremental 75k miles for $6k with a $0 deductible. Seems like a steal to me, but I'm always concerned about 3rd party warranties based on what I've heard. I'll have to find the documents and the exact company name when I get home but it was called "SAC Advantage Care Total Exclusion". He said it covers everything as long as you do oil changes, tire rotations, etc. I shopped around a bit and most warranties cost well north of $8k for a similar package. He said that the dealership specifically contracts out to these people for all the MB's he sells because they are a lot cheaper than anyone else he has ever seen.

What I'd like help on is there someone who can chime in on experiences with 3rd party warranties. I'm going into the MB dealership tomorrow to ask about factory warranty but like my other ask I was wondering if anyone had experience on pricing and level of coverage from MB.

Thank all!
Old 05-17-2018, 11:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
GL450, AMG C63S Coupe
We bought the MB extended warranty which gave us a total of 2 years unlimited miles on top of the CPO warranty it was roughly $3500 (so a total of 7 years from the original service date)
So are you getting 6 years on top of the original warranty. Then yes that is a steal if all is covered accordingly.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:51 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
MB GL450
If you decide to go with MB extended warranty, you don't have to get it from the dealer where you bought the vehicle. I would recommend calling Jeff at Tafel motors and asking him for a quote. There are also other recommended dealer with very competitive pricing on MB extended warranties. Search the forum for the topic. Good luck
Old 05-17-2018, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
We bought the MB extended warranty which gave us a total of 2 years unlimited miles on top of the CPO warranty it was roughly $3500 (so a total of 7 years from the original service date)
So are you getting 6 years on top of the original warranty. Then yes that is a steal if all is covered accordingly.
I'll give that a try. I'm already exhausted from shopping around for a vehicle and thought it was over :-)

Also, as a note, the 6 year warranty was through a third party, no MB. If it was through MB I would have snapped their hand off. I have till tomorrow to accept as he's holding my paperwork up until I decide.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:36 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2002 C4 Cab, 2014 Audi A5 cab, 2017 X5 35d
Originally Posted by MBQureshi
If you decide to go with MB extended warranty, you don't have to get it from the dealer where you bought the vehicle. I would recommend calling Jeff at Tafel motors and asking him for a quote. There are also other recommended dealer with very competitive pricing on MB extended warranties. Search the forum for the topic. Good luck
Absolutely agree. Jeff Jackson at Talfel will sell the MB ELW at the best price. I added 1year/25k miles to my original factory warranty (GL350) for $1,932. My selling dealer wanted over $3,000. SHOP around!
Old 05-19-2018, 09:59 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 GL 550
Wait.

Why pay now for something that won't offer a benefit until your factory warranty expires? A lot can happen in the early years of ownership ... you might hate it, sell it, wreck it or lose it to theft. Your selling dealership might close or move.

As long as you are within the time and mileage limits of your factory warranty ... with a little to spare ... you don't need to do anything. A month before the time limit or a thousand miles before the mileage limit is when you should buy an extended warranty.