GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Does this GL have Active curve system?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche panamera turbo S
I would definitely go for the silver one if they accepted my porsche. The reason they don't accept it is because it's registered in Luxembourg and not in Germany. Although it was bought from Germany and still has warranty .
Old 07-01-2018, 12:12 PM

Porsche panamera turbo S
Just found a second car.
What would you guys say?

Should I go for it?

https://m.mobile.de/auto-inserat/mercedes-benz-gl-350-bt-amg-designo-on-offroad-nachtsicht-tv-berlin/264252461.html?ref=srp
Old 07-01-2018, 02:47 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
How is that a bluetec if it has an eco mode button?
Old 07-01-2018, 04:11 PM

Porsche panamera turbo S
I have absolutely no idea. What's the difference?
Old 07-02-2018, 04:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 X166 (GL500)
Originally Posted by DC-BENZ
How is that a bluetec if it has an eco mode button?
I don´t understand your question, they all have start/stop-function (ECO-button) and when the light is green, it is available for use.

George; I would personally go for the white one, this one has way more mileage, no active curve system you were looking for and is early production. It does have a nice interior, though.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:33 AM

Porsche panamera turbo S
These guys told me it does have Active Curve System :S
Ill ask for the vin number just to be sure!
The car also has warranty for a year or something.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
I would stick with the silver or white.
The Mercedes backed factory warranty is worth its weight in gold. It's accepted eu wide and if you're in Luxembourg, or residing there for certain benefits 😏😉

The warranty will be great for coverage wherever you may be!

I understand you want black; I love ours in black and it's a great color. If youre set on black I would say keep searching for a mb cpo one with active curve or perhaps put in a request with a dealership that is willing to work with you to find what you want.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 530e, 2021 Honda Odyssey, 2022 Toyota Mirai
Originally Posted by George Moisidis
Hello fellas!
I am currently hunting for a 2013-2015 GL350 with the AMG pack and active curve system. From what I've dug up the last days I'm lurking here, that's the most important option. Since I'm coming from a Porsche Panamera Turbo S, i believe the acs will make the transition easier.
I don't have any family or kids and I'm 30yo, just got fed up on the Porsche and I am looking for a relaxed cruiser.
I was searching for an audi Q7 2014 4.2 diesel until I saw the GL. I instantly fell in love with it.

Now the tough part... Active Curve System is REALLY tough to find. Especially in diesels. I've been through 30 cars, not a single one had it. And many ask me what exactly is the Acs. I hope it doesn't have a different name here in Europe because I'm searching it as ACS and the option number 468.

I can't remember where I read this, but I believe someone said that if the car had a button of a spring with the word "sport" on it it's a sign that the car has ACS.

Here is the pick, does this have ACS?
This was me 2 years ago. I searched every week for 6 months, going onto the MB CPO site to filter down units nationwide. I would then plug in the VIN numbers to confirm which units really had ACS, then go to the dealer's site to look deeper into the unit. Most dealerships didn't even know what ACS was, and why it should've added value. Most bragged about the B&O system, which I could care less about (but happy to have now). You can't tell which GLs have ACS based on the buttons. You can only tell if you toggle Sport and Comfort modes in person, and the info display will say Active Curve. I think you are on the right track - ACS is so beneficial to the driving pleasure, both for comfort (less lean) and ease (effortless cornering both high speed and low). If you're the type of driver that is really connected to the car (like me), you'll really appreciate the feature.

Good luck!
Old 07-03-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
I had a 2013 GL550 without active curve, then bought a 14 GL63 primarily for the active curve. It's night and day difference for me.

Just as a heads-up there is a recall out for it:
https://repairpal.com/recall/18V272000

I agree the GL is a nice daily cruiser - much more comfortable to drive even on my 23" wheels. My spouse prefers the Panamera Turbo though and takes that out more often.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:11 AM

Porsche panamera turbo S
Thank you very much once again for the info guys. I really appreciate it.
I just took the white one for a test drive yesterday, the car was awefuly wobbly after 110-120km/h.

Also, the specific car wasn't in great condition.. So the search goes on!

What would you guys suggest as a second choice if I don't manage to find one quick? How about the BMW X5 M50?
Old 07-04-2018, 09:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 X166 (GL500)
Wobbly? If you're jumping from Panamera to any SUV, I bet it feels wobbly. Hope you kept that in mind and did activate ACS when you tested it? I had once a X5 with a sport suspension + extremely wide tyres and I could just throw it in corners, GL comes very close to it with ASC (being much bigger at the same time) but you have to remember it is still a big SUV and the body rolls more than a sports car.

Second choice...what are your needs? Do you really need a 7-seater or would something like GLE be big enough? BMW X5 m50 is a bit faster, more nimble but smaller from inside the cabin, I had that as my second choice but ended up with GL as my present car.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:04 AM

Porsche panamera turbo S
I apologize, I used the wrong word. Its shaking, trembling, like the wheels are terribly dent.

As for the space and size, I don't have a family, still single. But I want an suv for winter vacations and generally, I mainly use my mini cooper works for daily commuting so I will need a larger car for longer trips.

I think the GL is beautiful. Some X5s come close, I also like the cayenne. Still can't decide.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 530e, 2021 Honda Odyssey, 2022 Toyota Mirai
Originally Posted by George Moisidis
I apologize, I used the wrong word. Its shaking, trembling, like the wheels are terribly dent.

As for the space and size, I don't have a family, still single. But I want an suv for winter vacations and generally, I mainly use my mini cooper works for daily commuting so I will need a larger car for longer trips.

I think the GL is beautiful. Some X5s come close, I also like the cayenne. Still can't decide.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the shaking issue. The vibration over 50mph is caused by poorly balanced tires. You need to have the tires "Road Force Balanced". One dealer suggested I pay for a new rim bc one seemed out of balance. The other dealership suggested we try to Road force balance which fixed the problem. This was their verbiage:

"ALL 4 TIRES HAVE EXCESSIVE ROAD FORCE AND L/F TIRE THAT WAS SWITCHED TO R/F AND ULTIMATELY MOVED TO THE R/R HAS 51LBS OF ROAD FORCE THAT CANNOT BE FIXED UNLESS TIRES ARE REPLACED. ROAD TEST VEHICLE AND VERIFIED SLIGHT VIBRATION AT 65MPH. CHECK TIRE TREADS (L/F 7MM. R/F8MM. L/R 7MM. R/R 7MH). TIRE PRESSURE ARE OK. CHECK BALANCE OF ALL 4 TIRES AND ALL 4 TIRES ARE OUT OF BALANCE BY AT LEAST 2.50 OZ AND EXCESSIVE ROAD FORCE. L/F 40LBS. R/F 41LBS. L/R 36LBS. R/R 34LBS. CAN ROTATE TIRES ON TIRE MACHINE TO GET IT BACK WITHIN SPECS FOR REAR TIRES. BUT THE FRONT TIRES NEEDS TO BE EITHER SWAPPED OR REPLACED. MATCH REAR WHEELS AND TIRE POSITION FOR ROAD FORCE. R/R WENT FROM 34LBS TO lOLBS AND L/R WENT FROM 36 LBS TO 14 LBS. SWAPPED L/F TO R/F TIRE AND VICE VERSA. L/F WENT FROM 40LBS TO 16 LBS. R/F WENT FROM 41LBS TO 38LBS AND AFTER TRYING TO MATCH THE TIRES TO RIM. IT WENT TO 50LBS. CANNOT FIX THE EXCESSIVE ROAD FORCE AT R/F WHEEL. RECOMMEND NEW TIRE AT R/F WHICH WAS SWAPPED FROM L/F. ROTATE THE TIRE TO R/R NOW. ROAD TEST AND IT IS SLIGHTLY BETTER BUT CAN STILL FEEL SOME VIBRATION. CHECK FOR ANY TIPS OR PTSS CASES. NO TIPS CASES. BUT DID FIND SEVERAL PTSS

(STORY CONTINUATION) FOUND SEVERAL PTSS CASES FOR GL550 WITH 21" RIM/TIRES. THEY ALL HAVE A SLIGHT VIBRATION CHARACTERISTICS TO THEM AND IT IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CONDITION. PTSS CASE# 000069118. 000080387, 000081502. 000098032. 21" WHEEL PACKAGES HAVE ENHANCED CHARACTERISTICS OF THE VIBRATION. ALTHOUGH. THE R/R TIRE ROAD FORCE IS

STILL EXCESSIVE WHICH CONTRIBUTES TO THE VIBRATION. RECOMMEND NEW TIRES TO DAMPEN THE VIBRATION. BUT DO NOTE THAT SLIGHT VIBRATION IS A CHARACTERISTIC OF THE 21" WHEEL PACKAGE."