GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Main Screen Retrofit to 9" with CarPlay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500, GL63
My unit comes with 2 WIFI antennas, it's strong enough to pick up signal from the house to do updates and install apps and it automatically connect - that's all I use the WIFI for.

I have xFinity service, I assume I can pickup xFinity wireless hotspots on the road if they're available.

I do have unlimited plan with AT&T + CarPlay = no need for me to turn on the phone's wireless hotspot for the car every time. I recall seeing somewhere about the SIM feature is for Asia regions only.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:52 PM

2013 ML350 BLUETEC/2012 SLK350/2000 C280/1972 28SE
On a slightly different topic does anyone know if there is an Android update available for the head unit? Mine was delivered with V6.0 (even though the ad said it came with V7.1) and I can't get any response from the seller in China. I expect this is the same unit sold by numerous sellers as from what I can see on the various ads the unit appears identical.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:09 AM

gl550
Latest firmware for the 8.4" screen - https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...qOTxdI_g6cbiOr
Old 08-17-2019, 02:53 PM

2015 ML 350 4 Matic
Originally Posted by Sang Huynh
Latest firmware for the 8.4" screen - https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...qOTxdI_g6cbiOr
Please how do we update?

Thanks
Old 08-21-2019, 12:22 PM

gl550
1. Format the SD card, extract the file, and save the two files 3562.bin/3562.upd into the root directory of the formatted SD card.

2. Insert the SD card into the SD card port of the machine (the SD card is on the card slot on the right side of the screen)

3. Click reset hole and restart (left side - bottom hole), the machine will automatically load the upgrade then will automatically restart afterward, then pull out the card and click the reset hole again.

When you do this, everything will be erased and you'll have to reinstall all of your apps again.

Here's the link with the new UI. The last link has the old black & white UI

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rfr...CwXAAjYGP/view

Last edited by Sang Huynh; 08-21-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:44 PM

2015 ML 350 4 Matic
Originally Posted by Sang Huynh
1. Format the SD card, extract the file, and save the two files 3562.bin/3562.upd into the root directory of the formatted SD card.

2. Insert the SD card into the SD card port of the machine (the SD card is on the card slot on the right side of the screen)

3. Click reset hole and restart (left side - bottom hole), the machine will automatically load the upgrade then will automatically restart afterward, then pull out the card and click the reset hole again.

When you do this, everything will be erased and you'll have to reinstall all of your apps again.

Here's the link with the new UI. The last link has the old black & white UI

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rfr...CwXAAjYGP/view
Thanks a lot. Just to confirm the new link you just posted supersedes the previous one you posted right ?
Old 08-21-2019, 07:37 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2014 GL550,2020 GLS580
Is there an update for 9” screen
Old 08-22-2019, 01:32 AM

gl550
Originally Posted by shyyour
Thanks a lot. Just to confirm the new link you just posted supersedes the previous one you posted right ?
They’re two different looks to choose from.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Overpriced German Junk
Anyone installed this updated file yet? Is it stable? Bug free?
Old 10-23-2019, 12:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
gl550
Anyone fully satisfied?

Anyone with positive feedback from these screen modifications. It seems like no one is completely satisfied. Its a shame, it def. gives the car a nice upgrade.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:47 PM

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
Originally Posted by JAbinader
Anyone with positive feedback from these screen modifications. It seems like no one is completely satisfied. Its a shame, it def. gives the car a nice upgrade.
I loved mine - made the car look 5 years newer inside. Only issue is quality of screen resolution for the back-up camera was not good enough for me.

I'd be easily willing to pay more for a high-quality screen, but there is no option as companies are trying to keep costs down as there probably isn't a huge market for people wanting to pay $1,500 for example for something like this.

It's easy enough to try out and install to see if it works for you.

I did end up selling mine due to the back-up camera issue. The glare was easily taken care of by a custom anti-glare screen protector.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:38 PM

gl550
Knowing what you know now with the camera solution, would you buy that same unit again?

Originally Posted by Chedman13
I loved mine - made the car look 5 years newer inside. Only issue is quality of screen resolution for the back-up camera was not good enough for me.

I'd be easily willing to pay more for a high-quality screen, but there is no option as companies are trying to keep costs down as there probably isn't a huge market for people wanting to pay $1,500 for example for something like this.

It's easy enough to try out and install to see if it works for you.

I did end up selling mine due to the back-up camera issue. The glare was easily taken care of by a custom anti-glare screen protector.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:41 PM

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
I'm not up to speed on all the updates, if the screen resolution hasn't been improved, no. If yes, I'd buy it again.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:44 PM

gl550
Thank you for your help. Hopefully someone here can update us on their recent experience.

QUOTE=Chedman13;7884838]I'm not up to speed on all the updates, if the screen resolution hasn't been improved, no. If yes, I'd buy it again.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-06-2019, 07:43 PM

2019 GLE 63 S AMG
Android screen install

LVDS connection
Hello. I am in the process of installing an android screen in my 2013 ML63 and am baffled by the lack of instruction. I am trying to connect the LVDS Cable (Pic attached) I assume the Blue connector attaches to the connector from the original screen, but where do I connect the LVDS VCC 12V. and camera VCC 12V wires? Any assistance is much appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-07-2019, 10:02 AM

gl550
Did you try contacting the vendor ? hopefully some one can chime in.I’m interested in doing this. Can you post the link of where you purchased your screen.

Originally Posted by Lyttle66

LVDS connection
Hello. I am in the process of installing an android screen in my 2013 ML63 and am baffled by the lack of instruction. I am trying to connect the LVDS Cable (Pic attached) I assume the Blue connector attaches to the connector from the original screen, but where do I connect the LVDS VCC 12V. and camera VCC 12V wires? Any assistance is much appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-07-2019, 10:46 PM

2019 GLE 63 S AMG
I managed to figure it out. still have to configure settings, but seems worthwhile so far. I purchased on ebay from RoadTop, but you could browse, make a few offers and go with what seems best for you. shipping from China is quick using DHL. .
Old 11-08-2019, 06:58 AM

gl550
Cool. Can you post pics of your set up when done.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,005 Likes on 811 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by Lyttle66
I managed to figure it out. still have to configure settings, but seems worthwhile so far. I purchased on ebay from RoadTop, but you could browse, make a few offers and go with what seems best for you. shipping from China is quick using DHL. .
Please update and post the fix.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:40 AM

Overpriced German Junk
So I went ahead and purchased the 64GB/4GB Ram/ 8 Core Unit with "Android 8.1" running on that new blue MBUX-esq skin. This head unit is being called v3 in my research.

I am running what seems to be version 3561.

The Android 8.1 version is a lie. It's Android 6 with an updated buildprop to make it look like Android 8.1.
Some seller's are quoting a resolution of 1280*600 but in reality the model I purchased came at 1024x600. I understand that there are some sellers that are offering the full resolution versions but I find the larger icons on the lower rez versions easier to use.

As this is a v3 unit, I had thought that by now they would have fixed the Bluetooth connection but no, it is not possible to pair this to the NTG. You have to use the AMI cable or a bluetooth to AMI adapter for $50 more. My current use case for the android bluetooth is for a wireless bluetooth GPS receiver I have mounted elsewhere in the car. I no longer have to deal with messy wires. I ordered a FAKRA connector Y Splitter on Amazon to plug into the rear of my NTG Command unit so I can take advantage of the car's GPS antenna and throw away that flaky GPS box the android units are coming with. Will post when I have an update.

You cannot re-organize the main menu you see above. What you see is what you get. Now you could install Nova launcher to clean up the experience but then you lose the ability to go back to the NTG because this version removed the vehicle hard button access the old android units had. I managed to create an NTG shortcut on the desktop of Nova launcher and I am currently trying to setup a long press of the large selector wheel in order to switch between interfaces. I feel that I am 90% there with this modification. I had thought of assigning one of the Star buttons to turn off the screen like how it is configured under NTG Command but Android is not recognizing that input, in addition to many others.

I am sure that this unit is seeing the hard inputs from the vehicle but just ignores them.
Currently, the only hard inputs I am seeing with my unit is the back button, LEFT/RIGHT and center press on the selector wheel. I do not see any input for steering wheel controls although its a minor thing TBH. Not seamless though.

Here is a picture when I finally was able to go back and forth through NTG and Nova launcher. I made it look much nicer than what you are seeing below but it works as a proof of concept in case you want to move away from the new interface but do not want to loose functionality.

I also found a lot of hidden items that haven't made it to the new UI. You can activate TPMS sensors, Analog and Digitial TV among many other items that are seemingly locked out.
I think with some more time, I think I can tweak this to where I want it to be. Next week I am going to try to tackle/remove that annoying blue bar on the side. Its killing my aesthetic.

Now there is a menu you can utilize to change the above configuration and perform some quality of life tweaks, but for some reason this unit isn't providing access. The passwords I've been seeing online are 8888 but that doesn't work. I might try 0166 just in case its something dumb like that.

However, when I type 1234, I am greeted with this lovely message which I think translates to "successfully copied"

Last edited by Sierra117; 12-10-2019 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:20 PM

2019 GLE 63 S AMG
I realized that quite a few of the wires weren't used, so I checked the unit with only the green plug (for factory LVDS) plug in and it worked. I just secured the other wires so they wont cause a short and the unit appears to function okay.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:27 PM

2013 GL450
Originally Posted by Chedman13
Initial thoughts:

Very impressed with everything. The fit and quality of the harnesses, wires, cables, bracket, etc. are all great.

Installation took me 4 hours the first time. I could do it in less then 20 minutes now that I know what to do. The biggest thing is knowing where to pull so you don't break any tabs and also to not bend the fiber optic cable.

The OEM screen is removed and a bracket is put in place to hold the new screen. It looks OEM and my MB dealership was impressed with it.

Cons:
Screen quality is not as high as the OEM screen. I believe this has to do with two factors, the scaling factor going from a 7" screen to a 9" screen and then the overall resolution is not as great.
If you wear polarized sunglasses, the screen is completely black. I had to buy a screen protector (http://www.tuffprotect.com/) just ask for a 136mm x 220mm one. I went with clear but you can get anti-glare if you prefer that. Once you put a screen protector, you can see the screen again.
Slightly goes into the vent area on the left and right, but I'm fine with this as I want the largest screen possible.
Aftermarket screen is only in km/h for speed.

Pros:
Looks OEM.
Makes the interior look much newer.
Screen is larger.
Easy installation and easily reversible.
Carplay, Google Maps, web browser are now options in the aftermarket screen.
Touchscreen for aftermarket screen.

Overall:
I don't use the aftermarket screen at all - I have it setup to mirror the OEM screen/display. So no functionality is lost and it works with rear entertainment, etc...

My goal was to have a OEM looking screen, with the look of the newer Mercedes. This product accomplished it, so very happy with it.

The seller on eBay was very helpful and responded to all my emails in how to install it so kudos to him.

This is also the same product and he posts installation videos on a different car but it's very similar:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CKMCardesign/videos

These are also all the videos I used to help me install:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_-wPJYt778
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsx9Ld3BSEQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT7pN5b8E1Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X19uwoxNF4c
Hi I am new here and I just bought a 2013 GL450 from my brother in law (wife really wanted it and we got a good deal). Only drawback is the COMAND system. It is archaic. I want to upgrade it to something more modern but don’t want to lose any of the COMAND features. So are you saying that the 9” system works with all the MB stuff? Navi? System options? Adjusts lighting? Etc... So all the MB functions work with this aftermarket screen set up?
Old 11-26-2019, 06:25 PM

2019 GLE 63 S AMG
Hey all. Has anyone tried the I Go Navigation in the apps. It has a lot of useful features and appears current. It appears to be GPS based, so it does not need Internet. The only issue I have found is that I cant activate the sound. It keeps directing me to the Regional setting to turn TTS voice on, but that prompt is not there. Does anyone know how to activate the voice commends in I Go Nav?
Old 12-08-2019, 11:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 S550 and 2014 GL 550 gone but not forgotten: 2006 ML500
Completed my install this weekend, I like the bigger screen. The only issue Im having right now is how can I keep the android screen from changing my audio from the factory screen. Example Im listening to xm through the oem, then I activate an app through the android screen, and it changes my oem radio to aux or media. I know how to change the output between aux, media or whatever source I want, but how do I keep it from changing at all?
Old 12-09-2019, 01:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 GL450, 2014 2500 Sprinter Roadtrek Agile
@Sierra117

Scroll down to passwords...
https://forum.xda-developers.com/wik...Type#Downloads

Last edited by Doorkey; 12-09-2019 at 01:55 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Main Screen Retrofit to 9" with CarPlay