GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Brake pad and rotor reaplcement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL 450
Brake pad and rotor reaplcement

Hey guys, I took my 2015 GL 450 for service today. I have about 52k miles. The service adviser has mentioned that I am due for break replacement of front and back. He quoted me $2200 to get brake pads, rotors and sensor replaced with parts and labor front and back.

1. Doesn't the dashboard tell you when the brake pads are due for renewal like a warning or something?
2. Does Mercedez make the rotors and pads or they use third party?
3. It sounds so much money to get this replaced. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 07-05-2018, 08:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 GL350

1. Doesn't the dashboard tell you when the brake pads are due for renewal like a warning or something?
There will be a ‘check break pad wear’ warning appear, but it will not tell you whether they are front or rear pads. There is one sensor in one front pad and one sensor in one rear pad.
Not sure, but MB recommends replacing both the rotors and pads. I opted to just change the pads myself and see what happened. That was 23k miles ago. All was fine with just replacing pads. I think my quote was $1500 Indie shop and $2k MB dealer. I did for $200, I think. I opted for Duramax pads based on other discussions on this forum and have been very satisfied with them. Was a very easy DIY (I am new to DIY).
3. It sounds so much money to get this replaced. Any thoughts or suggestions? See #2
Old 07-06-2018, 11:07 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
GL550
Originally Posted by Jpkcpa

There will be a ‘check break pad wear’ warning appear, but it will not tell you whether they are front or rear pads. There is one sensor in one front pad and one sensor in one rear pad.
Not sure, but MB recommends replacing both the rotors and pads. I opted to just change the pads myself and see what happened. That was 23k miles ago. All was fine with just replacing pads. I think my quote was $1500 Indie shop and $2k MB dealer. I did for $200, I think. I opted for Duramax pads based on other discussions on this forum and have been very satisfied with them. Was a very easy DIY (I am new to DIY).
3. It sounds so much money to get this replaced. Any thoughts or suggestions? See #2
I concur, an Indy could do it a lot less than the dealer. If you can do it yourself even better.

Perform a visual check of your rotors and pads. Look for a groove on the edge and the center of the rotor. Also, look at the brake pad thickness, these are tell-tale sign if replacement is needed.

Bad rotor

Bad vs good brake pad

I bought the parts online (Amazon) and took it to my local Indy, much cheaper than the dealer.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Mercedes-Benz dealers will recommend replacing both pads and rotors because the idea behind it is that mb rotors are built soft to ensure "better" breaking performance and will end up creating a lip by the end of the pads useful life.

Also prices at the dealer are marked up ; but you can source mb parts online and bring it to the dealer or your indy .

Or go for better parts.
I chose ebc sport rotors and paired them with akebono ceramic pads.
The ebc rotors are anodized and look beautiful in their black color. Definitely no rust and the vented and dimpled features ensure there is no brake fade in the slightest.
The akebono pads are great for keeping the wheels clean. I hated ther oem pads. My front wheels would be black within a week. The akebono pads definitely keep it cleaner for much longer.

Let us know what you end up choosing and if you need any more help sourcing parts.

Cheers
Old 07-06-2018, 05:58 PM

2019 530e, 2021 Honda Odyssey, 2022 Toyota Mirai
Originally Posted by sthuluvath
Hey guys, I took my 2015 GL 450 for service today. I have about 52k miles. The service adviser has mentioned that I am due for break replacement of front and back. He quoted me $2200 to get brake pads, rotors and sensor replaced with parts and labor front and back.

3. It sounds so much money to get this replaced. Any thoughts or suggestions?
I ended up going to a dealership to do it since MB USA gave me a goodwill credit for warped rotors on a CPO purchase. Otherwise I would've gone with a highly rated MB Indy in the area. I was also considering having my maintenance done at an Indy, but since I can exchange my American Express rewards points for Maint A or Maint B certificates, I end up going to the dealership again.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:26 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
GL550
Originally Posted by Lawrence Lane
I ended up going to a dealership to do it since MB USA gave me a goodwill credit for warped rotors on a CPO purchase. Otherwise I would've gone with a highly rated MB Indy in the area. I was also considering having my maintenance done at an Indy, but since I can exchange my American Express rewards points for Maint A or Maint B certificates, I end up going to the dealership again.
No out of pocket cost is best!
Old 07-09-2018, 03:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GL450
Originally Posted by kombifan
Mercedes-Benz dealers will recommend replacing both pads and rotors because the idea behind it is that mb rotors are built soft to ensure "better" breaking performance and will end up creating a lip by the end of the pads useful life.

Also prices at the dealer are marked up ; but you can source mb parts online and bring it to the dealer or your indy .

Or go for better parts.
The ebc rotors are anodized and look beautiful in their black color. Definitely no rust and the vented and dimpled features ensure there is no brake fade in the slightest.
The akebono pads are great for keeping the wheels clean. I hated ther oem pads. My front wheels would be black within a week. The akebono pads definitely keep it cleaner for much longer.

Let us know what you end up choosing and if you need any more help sourcing parts.

Cheers

I'm driving a 2013 GL450. Will this setup work? Also, do you have links or part numbers that you can point me to?
Thanks a bunch.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The setup I mentioned should work for your car.

I assume your car I had the 13.8" rotors in front, but I would check to be sure. Your dealer can tell you by your vin or you can measure it yourself. Amg or sport package usually has the 373 mm rotors.

I would buy everything from autoanything, but it seems they don't carry the akebono pads anymore. Their customer service is great and they really helped me out when I needed to return ebc yellows tuff pads. Also autoanything price matches so you can Google the cheapest place and they'll match it.

https://www.autoanything.com/brakes/ebc-sport-rotors

Front rotors Part #: GD7399

https://thmotorsports.com/5603-ebc-g...SABEgKuIPD_BwE

Rear rotors Part #: GD7400

https://thmotorsports.com/5604-ebc-g...yABEgKXbfD_BwE

Akebono front

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...-ml350-eur1629

Akebono rear

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...20&SVSVSI=6502

Cheers!

Fcp euro has a awesome lifetime guarantee warranty...and apparently you can send back your pads when youre done with them.
The following users liked this post:
chewychiu (07-11-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 09:46 PM

2015 GL 450
Originally Posted by kombifan

Or go for better parts.

Cheers
so what am hearing is akebono pads and ebc rotors? any other recommendations? Hvave you had any issues?
Old 08-11-2018, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

more than a year later this is what it looks like

For me yes.

I hated the oem pads because of the dust and dirt it caused ; and don't go for ebc yellowstuff pads because they will squeal and glaze..

I like the setup so far, especially the dimpled rotors peeking through on the back wheels 😉

Last edited by kombifan; 08-11-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:19 PM

2015 GL 450
Kombifan, have you had any experience with Hawk? One of my friend suggested it. Also my vechile is still under extended warranty till 2021. Will mb dealership will give me crap about not using oem even though brakes aren't covered under warranty?

Last edited by sthuluvath; 08-13-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Kombifan, have you had any experience with Hawk? One of my friend suggested it. Also my vechile is still under extended warranty till 2021. Will mb dealership will give me crap about not using oem even though brakes aren't covered under warranty?
About hawk, no I haven't had any personal experience. From what I can find out they are an American company that's performance oriented. Otherwise i can't find out much from their website about where they manufacture the pads and rotors.

Ebc I do know a little more about. It's originally a UK company with facilities in Italy, UK and las Vegas. They're reputable and are experienced with European vehicles.

About your warranty. No it shouldn't give a problem at all if you do it yourself, get it done by an indy or at the dealer.
If they do, you have a cranky dealership who might be stingy.

But I understand your hesitation. My car also has been almost exclusively serviced by the dealer because of the warranty; and done what I can do myself that would otherwise be a fortune at the dealer.
My dealership, euromotorcars, let me bring in my own parts and did each axle, rotors and pads for a set rack rate of $260 per axle.
If you have any hesitation, it might be best to bring your own parts and let the dealer do it and wash your hands of any risk or responsibility.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 BMW X5 35d, 2011 VW Tiguan
Mercedes like all companies use third party to develop brakes. Mercedes on AMG vehicles used Brembo but switched to Akebono for calipers (they use Akebono in F1). Now Akebono is reputable manufacturer, but personally what they offer for European vehicles here in the US is nothing but POS! Yes, it will keep your wheels clean, but forget anything performance related.
If you want soft pad that is good on rotor go with ATE or Textar. They are both pad and rotor supplier to MB like all other Euro vehicles.
Hawk is OK, EBC is OK too (I used their Red and Yellow stuff) but ATE and Textar will do better on family SUV's. Reason for that is that both HAW and EBC (at least performance oriented pads) need certain temperature to provide full performance. However, in neighborhood where you have schools, kids etc. you need pads that bite same cold and warm. Personally, I would go with ATE pads and any of these rotors: Brembo (my first choice), ATE, Pagid, Textar, EBC etc.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:56 PM

2015 GL 450
Originally Posted by EdyCol
Mercedes like all companies use third party to develop brakes. Mercedes on AMG vehicles used Brembo but switched to Akebono for calipers (they use Akebono in F1). Now Akebono is reputable manufacturer, but personally what they offer for European vehicles here in the US is nothing but POS! Yes, it will keep your wheels clean, but forget anything performance related.
If you want soft pad that is good on rotor go with ATE or Textar. They are both pad and rotor supplier to MB like all other Euro vehicles.
Hawk is OK, EBC is OK too (I used their Red and Yellow stuff) but ATE and Textar will do better on family SUV's. Reason for that is that both HAW and EBC (at least performance oriented pads) need certain temperature to provide full performance. However, in neighborhood where you have schools, kids etc. you need pads that bite same cold and warm. Personally, I would go with ATE pads and any of these rotors: Brembo (my first choice), ATE, Pagid, Textar, EBC etc.
Thanks for your feedback back. I will take a look into ATE and Textar.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:28 AM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GLS63
Im searching for discs for front and rear on my GL63 and Brembo list them in the catalogue but marked as “under development”. I tried to contact them but no replies at all.

Next options arw Zimmermann or TRW for me in the UK, theyre a 390mm x 36mm disc which Im told is the same as Audi RS6, RS7 etc but possibly a different housing depth otherwise I was going to search using the Audi reference to try and open up the options.

What do you guys think of Zimmermann or TRW, i tgink TRW make the calipers on some of the AMG cars anyway but my Indy said Zimmermann over TRW strangely.

Genuine parts are very sensibly priced in the US but shipping makes it impossible.

I will be fitting Brembo pads front and rear by the way.

Thanks

Carl