GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

No Roadside Assistance in Canada......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 12:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 - GL 550
Angry No Roadside Assistance in Canada......

I am on a Business trip to Canada - Toronto in my 2015 GL550 still under factory warranty. I stopped at a Grocery store to buy some Soda and Chips for kids, came out and saw big Nut inside my driver side rear tire. I was like damn not on Saturday, anyway I showed it to my wife who was helping me unload the soda and other stuff, she quickly said let me examine more closely, and guess what the woman's curiosity genes kicked in her and she wiggled the Nut, thats it, you can now imagine what could have happen, anyway the tire got flat. And in 3.5 years never ever called the MB Roadside assistance so gave a shot, and the Rep on the phone said oh I cant help you because you in Canada, you gotta contact Canadian MB Roadside assistance, I was like OK and took down the number and called the Canadian side MB roadside assistance and the Canadian side Rep answers the phone, asks for my last 8 digit vin and all that yada yada and says ohh is it 2015 GL550 and I am like yes and he starts taking the request, so he asks my postal code, I give him my US one and he is like wait what you from US and I am like yes, oh I can't help you, I am like dude seriously this is Mercedes not Kia. and he is like no I cant locate your info in the system, hence cant put a service request. I call back US MB and the guy tries to help me out and he cant put up the request either because he can only find US MB dealers on his system, so he says you can try one more time to MB in Canada.
This time I wasted 1.5 hours and super pissed, I asked him lets not shuffle more let me do a conference call with MB in Canada and you both decide, the same guy comes over the phone who previously answered my phone and says no I cant help, and then I asked that means Canadians driving to US has same issue, to my surprise he says no we take care of Canadian customers from Canada and can put a request from Canada to US Mercedes roadside assistance, it was like rubbing salt on my wound.
Finally no-go after 2.15 hours of calls and time waste, the only option they gave me is submit the receipt to MBUSA once I am done with tire swap with my spare, and I was like dude this is horrible BS experience with MB and being a decade old customer I didn't expect this.

So folks driving to Canada if something like this happen, don't waste your time on Road side assistance get the car towed or have it fixed, bill to MBUSA afterwards.

Not sure how the warranty claims works, but I am pretty sure, it wont be walk in the park either. And lesson learned, when in Canada don't say you from US its an automatic denial and lately I been seeing this a lot in Canada. Because I travel every year 3-5 times and since 2-3 years Canadians are getting aggressive with their attitude towards US folks, like a simple Walmart return with US licence is a big deal.

Hope this helps somebody.

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
NaviTimer1 (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 09:37 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
GL550
What a bad experience and 2.5 hours wasted, thankfully it was just a flat tire and nothing else.

I wonder if the MB owners in Europe have the same experience when they're out of their country.

Thank you for sharing your experience and glad you're back on the road.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 136 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by NaviTimer1
What a bad experience and 2.5 hours wasted, thankfully it was just a flat tire and nothing else.

I wonder if the MB owners in Europe have the same experience when they're out of their country.

Thank you for sharing your experience and glad you're back on the road.
In Europe you have eu wide coverage for dealers and roadside assistance.

Except for UK residents. They only get eu wide roadside assistance.