GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Anyway to activate x166 dual rear fog lights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 03:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyway to activate x166 dual rear fog lights?

I am wondering if there is a way to turn on the passenger side rear fog light along with the driver side. I am in the process of converting the rear halogen bulbs to LEDS and would like to put rear led fog bulbs instead of the dim halogen ones. I just swapped out the brake lights with can bus LED bulbs from ebay and they look amazing. Makes the car look like its from this century with a more intense red led hue and instant on/off. I am trying to figure out how to remove the inner tail light housing but it looks like I will need to remove the trunk panel so im going to gather the right bulbs for the reverse/fog before tackling it.
But I am wondering if there is special coding involved to get the other rear fog light to turn on? If its going to be an expensive dealer programming ordeal, I may just figure out how to wire one into the other since LEDS consume significantly less than halogen bulbs. I would imagine if both were can bus, it should be okay? or maybe get non can bus and wire in my own resistor? Not entirely sure, but wondering if anyone here has tackled this and can offer insight before I just go and wing it.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by NewCents05
I am wondering if there is a way to turn on the passenger side rear fog light along with the driver side. I am in the process of converting the rear halogen bulbs to LEDS and would like to put rear led fog bulbs instead of the dim halogen ones. I just swapped out the brake lights with can bus LED bulbs from ebay and they look amazing. Makes the car look like its from this century with a more intense red led hue and instant on/off. I am trying to figure out how to remove the inner tail light housing but it looks like I will need to remove the trunk panel so im going to gather the right bulbs for the reverse/fog before tackling it.
But I am wondering if there is special coding involved to get the other rear fog light to turn on? If its going to be an expensive dealer programming ordeal, I may just figure out how to wire one into the other since LEDS consume significantly less than halogen bulbs. I would imagine if both were can bus, it should be okay? or maybe get non can bus and wire in my own resistor? Not entirely sure, but wondering if anyone here has tackled this and can offer insight before I just go and wing it.
I highly doubt that the truck is wired to be able to use fog lights on both left and right. And why would you want to do that anyway? The fog light is essentially your brake light turned on at all times. So if you run it on both sides, it will look like your driving with your left foot resting on the brake pedal with a burned out 3rd brake light.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:09 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2013 GL450
I read somewhere from another forum member that the passenger side is specifically turned off in the US (not sure if it's coding, but sounds like it ... ) ... when I switched mined out for LEDs, couldn't understand why the passenger side would not come on, thought the bulb was perhaps burnt, but switched the working driver side for the passenger side and sure enough both BULBs were working, but only on the driver side ... and yes, you have to remove the tailgate panel to get access to them ....

May I ask which LED break bulbs you got from EBAY? I got mine from Amazon and they're bright as well, but after 10 months, one of them burnt out ... and these are the only ones that did not give me an error code in the dash ... thanks for sharing ...

Originally Posted by NewCents05
Old 08-21-2018, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by DaveW68
I highly doubt that the truck is wired to be able to use fog lights on both left and right. And why would you want to do that anyway? The fog light is essentially your brake light turned on at all times. So if you run it on both sides, it will look like your driving with your left foot resting on the brake pedal with a burned out 3rd brake light.
yeah I know this is the general consensus of the Internet that people don't think both should be on for whatever reason but my cayenne and Audis have both sides light up so its just a manufacture preference thing not something DOT regulated. I get that one side might seem like it's not brake lights but really, in intense fog or down pours, which I drive through quite frequently as this is my road trip/boat hauler, I'd rather people think my brake lights are on than not being able to see anything. The x166 GL rear fog is a tiny side marker bulb on the inner most part of the tail light. I literally would be better off just using my cellphone flash light through the window. It's not bright at all, hence why id like to upgrade it to leds on both sides. And since they're impossibly tiny on the inner most part of the tail light, it would be weird to confuse them with brake lights. Regardless, I only use the rear fogs in severe inclement weather especially if I'm pulling toys.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by vivaitalia
I read somewhere from another forum member that the passenger side is specifically turned off in the US (not sure if it's coding, but sounds like it ... ) ... when I switched mined out for LEDs, couldn't understand why the passenger side would not come on, thought the bulb was perhaps burnt, but switched the working driver side for the passenger side and sure enough both BULBs were working, but only on the driver side ... and yes, you have to remove the tailgate panel to get access to them ....

May I ask which LED break bulbs you got from EBAY? I got mine from Amazon and they're bright as well, but after 10 months, one of them burnt out ... and these are the only ones that did not give me an error code in the dash ... thanks for sharing ...
Bummer, I figured it would require some coding... Maybe some Indy has a star/xentec they could tinker with and let me know if it's doable to turn both or if it's just switched left to right. I'll most likely just piggy back the wiring to the other side since I doubt it's even reading the bulb state on the passenger side (I'll check by pulling it first and see what happens.)

These are the bulbs I purchased from eBay

https://m.ebay.com/itm/2x-No-Resistor-Required-Red-1156-P21W-7507-LED-Bulbs-For-Tail-Brake-Stop-Lights/232478201419

They look perfect imo. Just the right amount of brightness to blend nicely with the third brake light and you can stare at it without going blind which I can't say for my other cars with oem led brake lights. Also no error messages on the dash.

Last edited by NewCents05; 08-21-2018 at 01:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
vivaitalia (08-21-2018)