GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Ticking on start up and rough idle results - 2013 GL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL550
Ticking on start up and rough idle results - 2013 GL550

I am attaching the results below. Vehicle was brought in for ticking on start-up and rough idle. The vehicle is a 2013 GL550 with 46k miles. I bought it CPO with 21k miles two years ago, and also bought an extended warranty from Tafel Motors that was recommended from these forums (thank goodness). They found oil contamination in the engine harness/ecu, cam sensors and cylinder 1 fuel injector. Replaced injector, both cats, left and right intake cam sensor, left and right exhaust cam sensor and the wiring harness/ecu. Ash data for injector 1 was high. All four cam sensors were contaminated with oil and was the source of the leak. Took 15 hours of labor, apparently. The second portion of the fix, the ticking, were the secondary timing chain tensioners. This was a TSB and the old tensioners were replaced with new tensioners. Apparently the old style tensioners had issues getting lubrication at the top of the chain, and the newer ones are more narrow and easier to keep lubricated. Both chain tensioners were replaced, which required the cylinder heads to be removed. No report on how many hours. My service manager let me know the parts and labor for both to be fixed, if out of warranty, was nearly $9000. If anyone is having similar issues, now or in the future, hopefully this will help diagnose.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus
Originally Posted by ItsRainingLead
I am attaching the results below. Vehicle was brought in for ticking on start-up and rough idle. The vehicle is a 2013 GL550 with 46k miles. I bought it CPO with 21k miles two years ago, and also bought an extended warranty from Tafel Motors that was recommended from these forums (thank goodness). They found oil contamination in the engine harness/ecu, cam sensors and cylinder 1 fuel injector. Replaced injector, both cats, left and right intake cam sensor, left and right exhaust cam sensor and the wiring harness/ecu. Ash data for injector 1 was high. All four cam sensors were contaminated with oil and was the source of the leak. Took 15 hours of labor, apparently. The second portion of the fix, the ticking, were the secondary timing chain tensioners. This was a TSB and the old tensioners were replaced with new tensioners. Apparently the old style tensioners had issues getting lubrication at the top of the chain, and the newer ones are more narrow and easier to keep lubricated. Both chain tensioners were replaced, which required the cylinder heads to be removed. No report on how many hours. My service manager let me know the parts and labor for both to be fixed, if out of warranty, was nearly $9000. If anyone is having similar issues, now or in the future, hopefully this will help diagnose.
Wow. That's a lot of work on a vehicle under 50,000 miles. Awesome you had warranty.