GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Which year is the best year for the X164 or X166 GL450?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 10:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
1997 W140 S420
Which year is the best year for the X164 or X166 GL450?

Excuse the double post as I also posted this on the X164 forum

I'm in the market for a large SUV and it looks like it's going to be the X164 or the X166. Please help me identify which is the best year for either of these. My budget is 25K.

Before this, I owned a 2002 E430 that I really liked and a 2012 Toyota Highlander. I got rid of the Highlander at the beginning of the year and I'm still considering going back to a Highlander, but since I loved the feeling and comfort of the E430, I want to give Mercedes a shot.

Thanks

Last edited by CarlitoE430; 11-12-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:22 PM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
14 GL550; 14 E63s
I'm sure you are aware of this, but these cars are very expensive to maintain after the warranty period has ended. Simple wear and tear items start to go out along with the inevitable malfunction of something on these complex machines. I had an X164 (2009) and currently have a X166 (2014) and both have had their issues. We bought aftermarket warranties that paid for themselves easily. So if you are looking at a high mileage X164/X166, I'd highly recommend an aftermarket warranty. Just my .02. Awesome cars though and we've really enjoyed them.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
1997 W140 S420
Shellbmb, thanks for your response and for the recommendation of an aftermarket warranty. I'm aware of the the expensive side of Mercedes repairs after a 2002 E430.

By the way, on my most recent visit to Austin, I loved Terry Black's BBQ on Barton Springs Rd and dined there several times.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
Shellbmb, which aftermarket warranty provider did you go with? Would you mind sharing the cost and terms?
Old 11-14-2018, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by BOSGL550
Shellbmb, which aftermarket warranty provider did you go with? Would you mind sharing the cost and terms?
An after-market warranty is going to be very expensive on a GL. I've got a 2013 GL550 that I purchased last December with 40k miles. I did extensive research, including my local Credit Union that sold me my last warranty on my S600 which was absolutely fantastic as it paid out more than 8x what I paid for coverage and never denied a claim. But their cost on a GL was way too high (over $8k), so I went with what the dealer sells for all of their pre-owned MB cars that are outside of the original warranty period, thus no coverage available through Benz. The company is Warranty Solutions (an AmTrust Financial Company). I purchased the 4 Star coverage, which was 1 step below the exclusionary coverage (dealer didn't offer that policy). Cost I negotiated was $5400 (over $700 below dealer cost) for 4 yr/45k miles with $100 deductible. This particular policy is only sold through dealers and not available for retail sale. The older the vehicle and higher the miles, the higher the cost and less time of available coverage.

You may want to contact your local selling dealer and see if they have any options available to you. If you go with an X164, you may not have any options at all with car dealers. Getting a vehicle in the $25k or less price range might be price prohibitive with warranty coverage likely costing you $8k or more for limited coverage. You'd probably be better off trying to find a newer CPO vehicle in the $30k's that comes with warranty coverage.

The following users liked this post:
BOSGL550 (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 03:59 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by DaveW68
An after-market warranty is going to be very expensive on a GL. I've got a 2013 GL550 that I purchased last December with 40k miles. I did extensive research, including my local Credit Union that sold me my last warranty on my S600 which was absolutely fantastic as it paid out more than 8x what I paid for coverage and never denied a claim. But their cost on a GL was way too high (over $8k), so I went with what the dealer sells for all of their pre-owned MB cars that are outside of the original warranty period, thus no coverage available through Benz. The company is Warranty Solutions (an AmTrust Financial Company). I purchased the 4 Star coverage, which was 1 step below the exclusionary coverage (dealer didn't offer that policy). Cost I negotiated was $5400 (over $700 below dealer cost) for 4 yr/45k miles with $100 deductible. This particular policy is only sold through dealers and not available for retail sale. The older the vehicle and higher the miles, the higher the cost and less time of available coverage.

You may want to contact your local selling dealer and see if they have any options available to you. If you go with an X164, you may not have any options at all with car dealers. Getting a vehicle in the $25k or less price range might be price prohibitive with warranty coverage likely costing you $8k or more for limited coverage. You'd probably be better off trying to find a newer CPO vehicle in the $30k's that comes with warranty coverage.
This is really helpful advice. Thanks DaveW68! In your research did you ever come across Endurance? They seem to be marketing aggressively with rates that are equally as aggressive..
Old 11-14-2018, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
This is really helpful advice. Thanks DaveW68! In your research did you ever come across Endurance? They seem to be marketing aggressively with rates that are equally as aggressive..
I did. Their list of exclusions seemed pretty long and would have left out many important systems that GL's are known to have issues with like the air suspension, COMAND, and some other items. From what I recall, my servicing dealer said their claims process was frustrating to work with. The best thing to do when researching warranty companies is to talk to a couple of service advisors at the dealer that you'd likely get your vehicle serviced at and see what their experience has been in dealing with them. Some may be complete nightmares and try to deny almost every claim (even if it's specifically covered), while others may be perfectly fine. You'd want to purchase coverage that will cover all of the electronics (including COMAND), suspension air bags, other suspension bits, etc. Exclusionary coverage is definitely the best if you can get it. Before you purchase, be sure to get a sample copy of the actual contract and read through it in its entirety so you know exactly what is covered and what isn't. (I'm not talking about the brochure) You'll want to go with a company that is backed by a large insurance company. Stay away from companies that are self insured as those can fold at any time and leave you holding the bag.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:16 PM

GL550
I did. Their list of exclusions seemed pretty long and would have left out many important systems that GL's are known to have issues with like the air suspension, COMAND, and some other items. From what I recall, my servicing dealer said their claims process was frustrating to work with. The best thing to do when researching warranty companies is to talk to a couple of service advisors at the dealer that you'd likely get your vehicle serviced at and see what their experience has been in dealing with them. Some may be complete nightmares and try to deny almost every claim (even if it's specifically covered), while others may be perfectly fine. You'd want to purchase coverage that will cover all of the electronics (including COMAND), suspension air bags, other suspension bits, etc. Exclusionary coverage is definitely the best if you can get it. Before you purchase, be sure to get a sample copy of the actual contract and read through it in its entirety so you know exactly what is covered and what isn't. (I'm not talking about the brochure) You'll want to go with a company that is backed by a large insurance company. Stay away from companies that are self insured as those can fold at any time and leave you holding the bag.
This is great advice thanks!
Old 11-14-2018, 04:19 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by CarlitoE430
Excuse the double post as I also posted this on the X164 forum

I'm in the market for a large SUV and it looks like it's going to be the X164 or the X166. Please help me identify which is the best year for either of these. My budget is 25K.

Before this, I owned a 2002 E430 that I really liked and a 2012 Toyota Highlander. I got rid of the Highlander at the beginning of the year and I'm still considering going back to a Highlander, but since I loved the feeling and comfort of the E430, I want to give Mercedes a shot.

Thanks
Carlito, I can't speak for the X164, but as others have said I think they both come with their own issues. What I can say is that the X166 looks newer, whereas the X164 is instantly recognizable as the previous generation. Not only does the X166 look more current on the exterior, but the interior Command system is also updated, the X164 is 2 generations behind. If aesthetics mean anything to you that's my 2 cents.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Carlito, I can't speak for the X164, but as others have said I think they both come with their own issues. What I can say is that the X166 looks newer, whereas the X164 is instantly recognizable as the previous generation. Not only does the X166 look more current on the exterior, but the interior Command system is also updated, the X164 is 2 generations behind. If aesthetics mean anything to you that's my 2 cents.
Technically, the X164 is only 1 generation behind. The current models are still the X166. I believe the next gen GLS comes out sometime next year.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:48 PM

GL550
Sorry let me clarify. Platform-wise X164 is indeed only 1 gen behind.

The exterior of the X164 has the front and tail end which give away the age.

X164
VS:
X166

**It should be noted that the bumper, grill, etc may change slightly from year to year just for the sake of changing but the lights really give it away.

The interior is 2 generations behind because it has the older center stack. The 2013-2015 has a recently old center stack. The new GLS has the latest center stack with the Command monitor surface mounted toward the top of the dash.
X164

X166: 2013-2015

X166: GLS

Hope this helps. I didn't mean to perpetuate any misinformation.

Last edited by BOSGL550; 11-14-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Yes, the 2017+ GLS is just a face-lifted GL. Benz always does 1 face-lift during each model cycle. At least it's always been this way going back to the 90's. The face-lift of the GLS is fairly minimal, even by Benz standards. On the outside, the most noticeable changes were to the headlights, tail lights, grille, and front bumper. On the inside, it is the new tack-on iPad look larger COMAND screen, COMAND buttons are now flush, mouse controller, slight revision to the gauge faces and center vents, steering wheel, revised wheel choices, and 20 more hp (torque didn't change). Other than that, everything about a 2013 and a 2018 is identical other than vehicle options.

The nice thing about the M278 engine is that a lot more power and torque can be squeezed out of it with just a $1k tune and no other mods. Mine is now pushing out 550 hp and over 650 torque....and will easily handle a stock GLS63.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:22 PM

GL550
Yes, the 2017+ GLS is just a face-lifted GL. Benz always does 1 face-lift during each model cycle. At least it's always been this way going back to the 90's. The face-lift of the GLS is fairly minimal, even by Benz standards. On the outside, the most noticeable changes were to the headlights, tail lights, grille, and front bumper. On the inside, it is the new tack-on iPad look larger COMAND screen, COMAND buttons are now flush, mouse controller, slight revision to the gauge faces and center vents, steering wheel, revised wheel choices, and 20 more hp (torque didn't change). Other than that, everything about a 2013 and a 2018 is identical other than vehicle options.

The nice thing about the M278 engine is that a lot more power and torque can be squeezed out of it with just a $1k tune and no other mods. Mine is now pushing out 550 hp and over 650 torque....and will easily handle a stock GLS63.
WOW, which tune did you get? I would love to have those numbers on my 550.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
PM sent.