GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

BC service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 02:44 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450
BC service

Anyone knows what the BC service entails? This is my last pre-paid service I'm eligible for. A and B are easily found but I can't seem to find BC.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
40k mile service?
Old 11-28-2018, 09:33 AM

2014 GL450
I think it is more than a 40k service. It's a CPO that was first in service back in Aug/Sept 2013. So, that puts it at 5yr mark and I'm at 47k miles currently. I pre-paid for the 3 pack service which included was a B, then A and then now this BC service.

I emailed the service dept and haven't received any response. I suppose these days one is required to call. Search for "Mercedes BC service" yields nothing for 2013 and up GL.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Here you go.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
50k service.pdf (598.6 KB, 1853 views)
Old 11-28-2018, 05:01 PM

2014 GL450
Thanks. I suppose that came from the user manual? Perhaps I should have looked there.

One of the dealer did call me back and I asked about it. He said it is the same as a B service but as I remembered it, when I bought the 3 pack service, the last one at 5yr/50k has an extra item. He thinks it should be the trans fluid change which is not listed in the attached file.

Anyone else did trans fluild willingly? I will prob drive the car for another 3 years. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jlim
Thanks. I suppose that came from the user manual? Perhaps I should have looked there.

One of the dealer did call me back and I asked about it. He said it is the same as a B service but as I remembered it, when I bought the 3 pack service, the last one at 5yr/50k has an extra item. He thinks it should be the trans fluid change which is not listed in the attached file.

Anyone else did trans fluild willingly? I will prob drive the car for another 3 years. Thanks.
dave is right. Was just about to post the same thing.

You should check it. Transmission fluid should have already been done and done again at 70k
Old 11-29-2018, 01:22 PM

2014 GL450
Originally Posted by kombifan
You should check it. Transmission fluid should have already been done and done again at 70k
Looking at the manual, it didn't list anything at 40k for GL. At 70k, it does say so for GL. Looks like I won't be getting this as part of the 5yr/50k service then. I've to decide to take it to a nearby dealer who will prob just do the standard B service, or the one that is far away which I purchased the original 3-pack pre-paid service and try to get them to do it. Most likely they have no reason to do it since it is not specified in the manual until 70k and all I got was the guy who sold me the 3-pack saying the last service will be a lot more costly due to this. So, it makes sense to pre-pay.

I suppose since I did get B-A and now another B out of it, it's not too exorbitant for $1500, though it would have been much better if it was included since I would have to pay I guess around $400 (dealership price) for the trans work later on.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Looking at the manual, it didn't list anything at 40k for GL. At 70k, it does say so for GL. Looks like I won't be getting this as part of the 5yr/50k service then. I've to decide to take it to a nearby dealer who will prob just do the standard B service, or the one that is far away which I purchased the original 3-pack pre-paid service and try to get them to do it. Most likely they have no reason to do it since it is not specified in the manual until 70k and all I got was the guy who sold me the 3-pack saying the last service will be a lot more costly due to this. So, it makes sense to pre-pay.

I suppose since I did get B-A and now another B out of it, it's not too exorbitant for $1500, though it would have been much better if it was included since I would have to pay I guess around $400 (dealership price) for the trans work later on.
The 50k is one of the cheaper services. 40k & 60k services are more in depth, with the 60k being quite expensive with a spark plug change due. It's possible that the dealer did the trans fluid and filter during your last service visit. You'd have to look at the itemized list of services performed. If it hasn't been done yet, it couldn't hurt to see if they'd throw it in with your next visit and have it covered.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:04 PM

2014 GL450
Originally Posted by DaveW68
The 50k is one of the cheaper services. 40k & 60k services are more in depth, with the 60k being quite expensive with a spark plug change due. It's possible that the dealer did the trans fluid and filter during your last service visit. You'd have to look at the itemized list of services performed. If it hasn't been done yet, it couldn't hurt to see if they'd throw it in with your next visit and have it covered.
Thanks Dave. I'm still looking for my first service record, but found my second. The dealership did do a 50k service and not 40k according to the paperwork. So, based on that I assume I should be getting a 60k service instead, despite the vehicle being at 48k miles and 5 yr.

It's strange how this happened, but because the original owner of the car did not drive it a lot and when I bought it in 2016, it has only 16k miles despite being 3 years in service. So, the last 2 service I sent the vehicle in, they did the 4 year/40k and then 5yr/50k. So, now the last of my service in the 60k one I would assume, which means I should get the spark plug changed.

Question ... if the last service paperwork indicates "Performed 50k maintenance service", I assume any Merc dealership cannot argue with me saying they will re-do the 50k since it is matching the 5yr and 50k miles marker, correct? So, despite not exactly 6 years (it would be 5 years and 4 months when I bring it in) and no where near 60k, they will still do the next service down the line, correct?

Now, you said the trans flush should be done at 40k as well. Where do you see that in the manual? I looked at the service manual on mbusa.com but only see it being required for the GL at 70k. I will locate my "40k" service paperwork to see if they did it there or not.

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Question ... if the last service paperwork indicates "Performed 50k maintenance service", I assume any Merc dealership cannot argue with me saying they will re-do the 50k since it is matching the 5yr and 50k miles marker, correct? So, despite not exactly 6 years (it would be 5 years and 4 months when I bring it in) and no where near 60k, they will still do the next service down the line, correct?
It's probably up to the dealership that you purchased the service package from. It might behoove you to contact the service department and ask them.

Now, you said the trans flush should be done at 40k as well. Where do you see that in the manual? I looked at the service manual on mbusa.com but only see it being required for the GL at 70k. I will locate my "40k" service paperwork to see if they did it there or not.
I didn't say that. I said that the dealer may have done it on one of your prior visits and that you should look at the itemized statement. And if it hadn't been done yet, see if they would throw that service in on the next visit at no additional cost. If you paid just $1500 for the 3 services, it's unlikely that they will be doing a full 60k service on your next visit as the 60k service alone costs a lot more than that with the spark plug change.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well... I am grateful for this thread discussing some of the BEST advantages of PrePaid Service.

It is becoming more common now for Mercedes Owner's to have purcahsed a CPO Mercedes with miles - or to keep their existing Mercedes longer/higher mileage.

Depending on your personal situation - PrePaid Service can save you a LOT - please understand it is not the Service Advisor's job to make you aware of Prepaid Service Savings - a owner does needs to do his own research for their MB they own now (even compared to another MB they owned in the past).

Specifically there are the recommended 20K brake flush - tranny service - and plug replacement (now that plugs do NOT go out to 100K miles on the more recent models)

1st - reference the MB posted Service Items for your vehicle at each service interval - mbusa.com under Owner's Section

PrePaid Service will cover ALL "REQUIRED" SERVICE ITEMS for that pre-paid mileage interval.

Example #1 - if you have Pre-Paid Service for 40K mile interval - and 40K service Requires Tranny Service - then your Tranny Service at 40K is covered .

Example #2 - if you have Pre-Paid Service for 60K miles - and 60K service Requires Plugs - then the Plug Service is covered (some MB's plug service can be 40K or 50K required now).

"Required Service" under Pre-Paid Service is MB mandated by MBUSA for any MB dealer - but it's the owner's job to make sure he know and gets all the service they deserve when you check in.

On new AMG's models that require 2500 mile rear differential service - that 2500 mile rear dif service is NOT covered by MB Prepaid Service - often at time of sale a MB dealer "should" be willing to do that future 2500 mile rear dif service complimentary - again if agreed at time of service.

What are the drawbacks of Pre-Paid Service - two - please understand Prepaid Service is assigned to that specific vehicle - the two drawbacks (One) your next scheduled prepaid service MUST be used each-year (up to 14 months allowed) or by miles 10K (up to 12,500 miles) whichever comes 1st - or you LOSE that service (Two) unused Pre-Paid Service cannot be refunded or you cannot transfer to unused prepaid service to another/different MB.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:43 AM

2014 GL450
Thanks Fabbrids1.

Based on the last paperwork I have, the dealership I purchased the car from, performed the 2nd of my 3 pack pre-paid service and it clearly states "performed 50k service". So, based on that I'm now due for the 60k/6yr service. I am really hoping I lucked out then since Dave is saying the 60k service with plug cost more than the 3 pack I bought for $1500.

Because it is winter and being in Michigan, driving all the way to the selling dealer which is approx 1.5hr away was not appealing to me though they do give me a loaner each time. I was inquiring at a close by dealer, 10min away, about what will be covered. From Yelp reviews, this dealership is not known to be the best. I don't want to battle with them about what should be covered.

I'll stop by this close by dealership and show them the last paperwork and see if they will performed the 60k service without question, covering the plugs.

Thanks all.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:49 PM

2014 GL450
Quick question. Dropped off the vehicle for service. However they are telling me a couple of items that would not be covered. Can someone confirm?

1. Passenger side 2nd row seat sometimes does not retract all the way when button is pressed

2. Steering wheel appears slightly misaligned

Vehicle was first out in service on Aug 2013. I bought it CPO on Aug 2016 and bought 2 additional year of extended warranty.

From my understanding, it is 4/50k which extends to 5/unlimited due to CPO and I bought 2 additional years which should have brought it to Aug 2020. But the service guy is telling me the CPO warrranty is not bumper to bumper which I understand. But the one additional year should be. Even so, I’m out by 4 months still.

Original 4yr would be Aug 2017. One more year would be Aug 2018. It’s Dec 2018 now.

But my 2 additional year I would think would cover the seat (electrical) and steering slightly off centered, no?

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quick question. Dropped off the vehicle for service. However they are telling me a couple of items that would not be covered. Can someone confirm?

1. Passenger side 2nd row seat sometimes does not retract all the way when button is pressed

2. Steering wheel appears slightly misaligned

Vehicle was first out in service on Aug 2013. I bought it CPO on Aug 2016 and bought 2 additional year of extended warranty.

From my understanding, it is 4/50k which extends to 5/unlimited due to CPO and I bought 2 additional years which should have brought it to Aug 2020. But the service guy is telling me the CPO warrranty is not bumper to bumper which I understand. But the one additional year should be. Even so, I’m out by 4 months still.

Original 4yr would be Aug 2017. One more year would be Aug 2018. It’s Dec 2018 now.

But my 2 additional year I would think would cover the seat (electrical) and steering slightly off centered, no?

Thanks.

You should have cpo coverage till 2020

1. You should check with mbusa if this is covered under cpo. Otherwise make a case for them to cover the repair cost. Call the mbusa customer service line

2. This could be an alignment issue. No such luck there mate until you get an alignment done. Youll have to pay for it first and if it the cause of worn or defect suspension parts then they'll fix it.

Everything after the original 4 yr is elw warranty.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:51 AM

2014 GL450
Thanks. I’m paying for the alignment work.

About the seat, can someone try this out? On 2nd row, from the passenger side, press the button to retract the seat. Does it fold down only OR does it fold down and lift all the way up to allow access to 3rd row?

In my case, if my 2nd row driver side is already retracted up to allow access to 3rd row, then the passenger side will always retract all the way up. But if driver side 2nd row is still in its regular sitting position, then 2nd row passenger side will only fold down but not retract all the way up.

Last edited by jlim; 12-27-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
On my car for the 2nd row easy entry function, doesn't matter if driver or passenger side is up or down, either side will fold and lift to allow access to 3rd row. I don't think your setup is working properly. I have a car seat installed in my 2nd row. It would be a pain in the @$$ if I had to remove it every time I wanted access to the 3rd row. Good luck troubleshooting this!

I've heard that some owners have the issue where once the passenger side folds and lifts, that the manual fold handle gets stuck and won't latch back onto the floor anchor unless you apply some force to the handle to reset back to original position. Maybe your issue is somehow related. Keep us posted!