GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Cylinder #5 Misfire SOLVED

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 08:42 AM

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
AMG GTs, G550, Jeep JKU, 78 Bronco
Update on the issue. Stopped by Mercedes yesterday. The motor was back out and sitting on a stand. It looks like the valve was not the only major issue. It has a spun bearing as well. Ughhhhhhhhh. I guess they are going to reach out to the place I got it from today. I just hope they continue to do the right thing. Their warranty company was maxed out with the valve. We shall see.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:57 PM

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
I might have missed it but did you buy it from another Mercedes dealership?

Thanks for sharing your journey, I'm sure it'll help other GL owners! Unfortunately it's quite the journey.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:16 PM

unfortunately no. It was a used car dealership in Austin. This one had every option from the factory so I turned down a CPO from a dealer that was a little more but wasn’t loaded.

The cost to repair the block is 26k. I just spoke to the SA. Needs two pistons, crank, and a lot of other odds and ends. I keep wanting to pinch myself to wake up. I hate it for the selling dealer but they also knew it had issues when they sold it to me without disclosing any problems at all. I would have never guessed in a million years this would be the outcome.

Originally Posted by Chedman13
I might have missed it but did you buy it from another Mercedes dealership?

Thanks for sharing your journey, I'm sure it'll help other GL owners! Unfortunately it's quite the journey.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:26 PM

1) sucks they didn't disclose it.
2) impressive they stepped up and paid the $9k though. I think most used car dealers would have blocked your number/dealers number and ignore it.
3) wow, $26k. What's the next step here? I mean return the car and possible legal action? I can't see the selling dealer put out $26k unless they have some insurance for their own company to file a claim.

Originally Posted by bhamcarnut
unfortunately no. It was a used car dealership in Austin. This one had every option from the factory so I turned down a CPO from a dealer that was a little more but wasn’t loaded.

The cost to repair the block is 26k. I just spoke to the SA. Needs two pistons, crank, and a lot of other odds and ends. I keep wanting to pinch myself to wake up. I hate it for the selling dealer but they also knew it had issues when they sold it to me without disclosing any problems at all. I would have never guessed in a million years this would be the outcome.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:57 PM

1). I caught them red handed. I found the person that out a deposit down on it the week before. Thanks to these forums. He was able to find out about the #5 cylinder issue and some other issues that were not disclosed. I even asked why the last buyer backed out and it was told that the buyer couldn’t come up with the money. Multiple times said no issues with the car at all and there was no issues when they purchased it.

2)absolutely. I did lots of research before I even contacted them back about the major issues. That was when I came into contact with the original buyer. Also spoke to one of our attorneys in Houston. To be very fair, when I sent a formal email stating I am taking it to MB to find out the real issues, they did stand up and do the right thing. I would have never thought this was a bad block. MB thinks it is to do with lack of maintenance and the valve issue.

3) I truly don’t know. It hasn’t even been registered in Alabama because I couldn’t even take it to the DMV. I want the car but I’m not going to pay to fix something that was broke before they sold it. It is a slippery slope with all of this. I think the only two options are them but it back and repay my losses or pay to get it fixed. God only knows what will happen. I just hate that this is my first taste of Mercedes Benz coming from Audi.

1) sucks they didn't disclose it.
2) impressive they stepped up and paid the $9k though. I think most used car dealers would have blocked your number/dealers number and ignore it.
3) wow, $26k. What's the next step here? I mean return the car and possible legal action? I can't see the selling dealer put out $26k unless they have some insurance for their own company to file a claim.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:16 PM

You're taking this like a champ and handling it very professionally.

I have an Audi Q7 sitting in my garage and it is such a different SUV compared to the GL63 - both have pros and cons.

Good luck and keep us updated.

1). I caught them red handed. I found the person that out a deposit down on it the week before. Thanks to these forums. He was able to find out about the #5 cylinder issue and some other issues that were not disclosed. I even asked why the last buyer backed out and it was told that the buyer couldn’t come up with the money. Multiple times said no issues with the car at all and there was no issues when they purchased it.

2)absolutely. I did lots of research before I even contacted them back about the major issues. That was when I came into contact with the original buyer. Also spoke to one of our attorneys in Houston. To be very fair, when I sent a formal email stating I am taking it to MB to find out the real issues, they did stand up and do the right thing. I would have never thought this was a bad block. MB thinks it is to do with lack of maintenance and the valve issue.

3) I truly don’t know. It hasn’t even been registered in Alabama because I couldn’t even take it to the DMV. I want the car but I’m not going to pay to fix something that was broke before they sold it. It is a slippery slope with all of this. I think the only two options are them but it back and repay my losses or pay to get it fixed. God only knows what will happen. I just hate that this is my first taste of Mercedes Benz coming from Audi.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:43 PM

Lol. Just on the outside. On the inside I am sick and furious over all of this. I sold My Q7 to get the GL. I have a modded Audi S7 that I was thinking about getting rid of to buy a GTs. I have been working on Audis for years but became smitten with the AMG GT since its release. Had a chance to track an SLS years ago and had a blast. Hoping everything settles down and it all works out. Thanks for all of your kind words!!!!

You're taking this like a champ and handling it very professionally.

I have an Audi Q7 sitting in my garage and it is such a different SUV compared to the GL63 - both have pros and cons.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:04 PM

Not sure if this is your taste, but I'll leave this for you;
https://www.chicagomotorcars.com/201...dy!-c-5939.htm

Lol. Just on the outside. On the inside I am sick and furious over all of this. I sold My Q7 to get the GL. I have a modded Audi S7 that I was thinking about getting rid of to buy a GTs. I have been working on Audis for years but became smitten with the AMG GT since its release. Had a chance to track an SLS years ago and had a blast. Hoping everything settles down and it all works out. Thanks for all of your kind words!!!!
Old 02-19-2021, 07:53 AM
mtm

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts
gl450
There are quite a few m157 engines on ebay - maybe that is a better way to go. I wouldn't be rebuilding my engine at a dealer unless someone else is paying for it.

Sorry about your experience, this sucks.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:29 AM

I was looking on eBay yesterday. I pray the dealership I bought it from, steps up so I don’t have to take them to court. If it goes that direction, I might be getting one off there.

Originally Posted by mtm
There are quite a few m157 engines on ebay - maybe that is a better way to go. I wouldn't be rebuilding my engine at a dealer unless someone else is paying for it.

Sorry about your experience, this sucks.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:28 PM

bhamcarnut - or... build a 950 hp M157 engine... https://www.instagram.com/p/CK3i7fBpqAS/
Old 02-19-2021, 12:51 PM

wow! Craziness. I am pushing 704hp on my Audi with 108 race fuel. Couldn’t imagine a couple hundred more HP on a big car. Mine is already a sleeper. Mid to high 10s in a 4 door. Lol.

bhamcarnut - or... build a 950 hp M157 engine... https://www.instagram.com/p/CK3i7fBpqAS/
Old 02-21-2021, 03:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS 500 w218
Unhappy

Update on the issue. Stopped by Mercedes yesterday. The motor was back out and sitting on a stand. It looks like the valve was not the only major issue. It has a spun bearing as well. Ughhhhhhhhh. I guess they are going to reach out to the place I got it from today. I just hope they continue to do the right thing. Their warranty company was maxed out with the valve. We shall see.
Hi..too sad to hear that you have a such a problems....but as you said,, if you have a problems with spun bearing you probably have a bent con rods and if that is a true, you would have scratches in the cylinders as well......which is the END for the engine....there are many problems here in europe on engines M278 and M157Unhappy
Old 03-11-2021, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15 gl63
I have a 2015 GL63 that is throwing the #5 cylinder codes. When you start it the idle is just barely off and it runs pretty good. After driving for 10 min it starts running very rough and hardly idles. I haven’t seen others with these type of symptoms.
How rough is rough? I just put my 63 on a tow truck to the dealership for the 3rd time in 5 months. The CEL light comes on and there is a slight shake in the engine. Then it gets really rough and the whole car shakes and CEL flashes (forgive my poor description, I’m a girl). It doesn’t like any sort of hill and will not idle correctly and have to shut it off and reset.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:46 AM

CLS 500 w218
If it sounds like the engine M157 in video, it is end for engine, scored cylinders, need to change engine...

Old 03-11-2021, 11:23 AM

It was very rough. In my case, I had two issues simultaneously. I had a bad valve on the number 5 cylinder and two spun bearings on the crank. The cost was in the neighborhood of $35k. Thankfully the cylinders were not scored at all. They inspected them thoroughly and had me come into to look as well. I was a mechanic a long time ago. I was very lucky. I’m not sure what the difference is on the AMG block versus the standard blocks. I know the AMG is aluminum and the cylinders has some kind of special coating that helps resist any scoring. They had the word at the dealership but in has slipped my mind. If you have a good dealership, talk to them. If the car is doing the same thing without other issues it could very well be an injector. We were hoping that was my issue but it wasn’t.

For those that have been following the issues with my GL63 that was purchased from the dealership that knew about the issues, they have decided not to do the right thing. I tried for 3 months to work with them and ended up not following through. Unfortunately I am paying for this part of the fix and will have to recoup my losses.

Mercedes of Birmingham has gone above and beyond for me. A free 2021 GLB for a loaner. They had me come in for a meeting and brought everyone in that had anything to do with the repair and wanted to know what they could do to make me happy. They even gave me an amazing discount on the repair because of the situation. I was hoping the owner would be there but I guess he had better things to do. Lol. Nick Saben owns the Mercedes dealerships in Birmingham.

The new crankshaft came in from Germany two days ago and they are working on everything now. The second head was pulled and sent to a machine shop as well for full inspection. Everything inside the block has been gone through multiple times and I am very confident with the work being done. The best news is that I will have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty on the engine block. Obviously not the accessories and such but that is definitely peace of mind. Hoping to get this baby back by next week.

Originally Posted by Ms.63
How rough is rough? I just put my 63 on a tow truck to the dealership for the 3rd time in 5 months. The CEL light comes on and there is a slight shake in the engine. Then it gets really rough and the whole car shakes and CEL flashes (forgive my poor description, I’m a girl). It doesn’t like any sort of hill and will not idle correctly and have to shut it off and reset.
Old 03-11-2021, 12:06 PM

15 gl63
Originally Posted by Romann001
If it sounds like the engine M157 in video, it is end for engine, scored cylinders, need to change engine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB5YQ_-essg
I don’t know that it makes that noise. Just got word from the dealership that they are replacing two coils today and running more tests tomorrow morning. I will definitely check for that when we pick it up!
Should they have found scored cylinders when they replace a head? Just had the left head replaced, new cams with lifters and rockers, all new valves, shims, springs, and keepers at the end of January. Was getting misfire codes for 3 6 7 & 8, and ignition coil 8. On a manual compression test, 5 & 8 were low and the leak down test confirmed loss for 5 & 8 at exhaust.
Old 03-11-2021, 12:34 PM

CLS 500 w218
I don´t want to scare you but low compression is something you dont want to hear with engines M157 and M278.
I am sorry to say it but be prepared for the worst...changing engine
Old 03-11-2021, 01:37 PM

15 gl63
It was very rough. In my case, I had two issues simultaneously. I had a bad valve on the number 5 cylinder and two spun bearings on the crank. The cost was in the neighborhood of $35k. Thankfully the cylinders were not scored at all. They inspected them thoroughly and had me come into to look as well. I was a mechanic a long time ago. I was very lucky. I’m not sure what the difference is on the AMG block versus the standard blocks. I know the AMG is aluminum and the cylinders has some kind of special coating that helps resist any scoring. They had the word at the dealership but in has slipped my mind. If you have a good dealership, talk to them. If the car is doing the same thing without other issues it could very well be an injector. We were hoping that was my issue but it wasn’t.

For those that have been following the issues with my GL63 that was purchased from the dealership that knew about the issues, they have decided not to do the right thing. I tried for 3 months to work with them and ended up not following through. Unfortunately I am paying for this part of the fix and will have to recoup my losses.

Mercedes of Birmingham has gone above and beyond for me. A free 2021 GLB for a loaner. They had me come in for a meeting and brought everyone in that had anything to do with the repair and wanted to know what they could do to make me happy. They even gave me an amazing discount on the repair because of the situation. I was hoping the owner would be there but I guess he had better things to do. Lol. Nick Saben owns the Mercedes dealerships in Birmingham.

The new crankshaft came in from Germany two days ago and they are working on everything now. The second head was pulled and sent to a machine shop as well for full inspection. Everything inside the block has been gone through multiple times and I am very confident with the work being done. The best news is that I will have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty on the engine block. Obviously not the accessories and such but that is definitely peace of mind. Hoping to get this baby back by next week.
Damn it! That’s horrible. There’s no way they did t know that car had problems and they sold it anyways. They should pay for it or take it back! I can’t remember, was it cpo? If it was, I’d be calling MB on that. On a positive, I’m glad you have a good dealership taking care of you. I’ve been to two sub-par dealers (one being where I bought the car) and now I have one that I love! I won’t go anywhere else and won’t let anyone I know with a Benz go elsewhere either. Hopefully this won’t turn you off of Mercedes, you will love your car once you get it all done. I promise it’s worth it!!
Old 03-11-2021, 01:42 PM

15 gl63
I don´t want to scare you but low compression is something you dont want to hear with engines M157 and M278.
I am sorry to say it but be prepared for the worst...changing engine
I don’t think it was very low. I just looked at my work order and it they were at 8 bar and the rest were 9-9.5. Again, I’m a girl so these numbers mean nothing to me but they don’t seem too far off. Hoping it doesn’t get to that but will be looking more into it now so I know my options.
The car is still on cpo warranty and then we have an extended 2 year. Trading it in the day before warranty is up! I don’t wanna know what these things cost to work on!
Old 03-11-2021, 01:58 PM

CLS 500 w218
how many miles is on the clock?? ICompressions should be over 10...
Old 03-11-2021, 02:12 PM

They absolutely knew it had issues. It was a non Mercedes dealership that i had bought it from. A forum member on here had put a deposit on it before me and backed out of the deal because he was able to find out about the known problems. Unfortunately I bought it before I saw this thread. Luckily I was able to speak to him when all of this was unfolding and I found out all of the things they had been hiding. I had just wanted the dealership to make it right. I gave them the option to buy it back when I first found out but they didn’t want to do that. Praying it all works out in the end.

Glad yours is under CPO. Those numbers are low for the compression. I’m guessing you have a very similar problem. Please keep us informed. I’m going to mention your issues with my guy at Mercedes as well. What is your milage? Mine has 47,000.

Originally Posted by Ms.63
Damn it! That’s horrible. There’s no way they did t know that car had problems and they sold it anyways. They should pay for it or take it back! I can’t remember, was it cpo? If it was, I’d be calling MB on that. On a positive, I’m glad you have a good dealership taking care of you. I’ve been to two sub-par dealers (one being where I bought the car) and now I have one that I love! I won’t go anywhere else and won’t let anyone I know with a Benz go elsewhere either. Hopefully this won’t turn you off of Mercedes, you will love your car once you get it all done. I promise it’s worth it!!
Old 03-11-2021, 03:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,861 Likes on 3,038 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Has anyone determined if a clean point exists where M157 and M278 do not suffer from low compression, misfire, scoring, valve or cam problems?

Has a late model year (2019?) been posted on this site with problems listed in this thread?
Old 03-11-2021, 04:36 PM

CLS 500 w218
I have heard that some of the later engines M278- 2016 up to 2018 have iron coting instead of silitec coting inside cilinders
Old 03-11-2021, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,015 Likes on 818 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I have heard that some of the later engines M278- 2016 up to 2018 have iron coting instead of silitec coting inside cilinders
There is Alusil, Silitec, and iron bores. MB switched to Silitec years ago. Not sure if they went back to Alusil but it has a tin coating on the pistons. The alusil cylinders are not coated but use a special honing system to bring out the silicon to the surface making it very hard and it will last a long time if the engine is well maintained and there is no overheating or contamination to scratch the walls. I don't believe MB ever went to an iron bore on their newer engines.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cylinder #5 Misfire SOLVED