GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Please help! Dealer says Need these parts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 12:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL350
Please help! Dealer says Need these parts

Hi,

I own a 2013 GL350 and brought my car into my local dealer to have some warranty work done and while it was in there for the unrelated issue, my service provider said the technician found the oil cooler was leaking and it should be no big deal because my 3rd party warranty should cover it. Well they won't cover it and now i'm left wondering if I even have this issue to begin with because when I was sent all the parts in the quote I'm noticing things that look like they are completely unrelated. I've searched all the parts and their location by the parts number and have even watched multiple Mb tech videos completing this job or replacing the oil cooler gaskets and most of these parts are not replaced. The only thing I've seen replaced are the gaskets. My husband seems to think he can just buy the gasket set and do the job himself since he's pretty good with engines but I would much rather the dealership deal with it but unfortunately don't have 4k to spend on a problem i didn't even know i had. Would anyone know if these parts are all needed for the oil cooler gasket replacement?

Old 01-24-2019, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 136 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by Jmorris22
Hi,

I own a 2013 GL350 and brought my car into my local dealer to have some warranty work done and while it was in there for the unrelated issue, my service provider said the technician found the oil cooler was leaking and it should be no big deal because my 3rd party warranty should cover it. Well they won't cover it and now i'm left wondering if I even have this issue to begin with because when I was sent all the parts in the quote I'm noticing things that look like they are completely unrelated. I've searched all the parts and their location by the parts number and have even watched multiple Mb tech videos completing this job or replacing the oil cooler gaskets and most of these parts are not replaced. The only thing I've seen replaced are the gaskets. My husband seems to think he can just buy the gasket set and do the job himself since he's pretty good with engines but I would much rather the dealership deal with it but unfortunately don't have 4k to spend on a problem i didn't even know i had. Would anyone know if these parts are all needed for the oil cooler gasket replacement?

No. I think the dealer was trying to pull a fast one on your insurance company. Bring it to another mb dealer and try again.
Try calling your extended warranty company for clarification. Sometimes they get confused. Sometimes they need a good telling off. Ymmv.

Also get mb corporate involved. If your insurance company doesn't pay completely they can help with payment. If possible try to cut your losses as soon as possible with the diesel. It will only give you more headaches down the road due to unique requirements mandated by the epa

If you insist on getting it done. Try quoting the costs with several mb indy shops. It has to be a shop that is familiar with mb diesel engines.
Any shop that services mb sprinters, freightliner sprinters, or dodge sprinters will be able to do your oil cooler. They will be the most experienced.
I know that sounds counterintuitive, or strange to trust your gl to a commercial truck place; but they all have the same engine and they see these issues regularly and know how to tackle them.

Last edited by kombifan; 01-24-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 136 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
If your husband is brave and you are willing to help; this will help him tackle the project.

https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...placement.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...oler-leak.html

Also think about getting a tune soon so you can delete all the emissions related equipment that will fail and cause your engine to run horribly. It will save you from sludge, adbkue heater failure, tank failure, pcv valve egr valve dpf filter failure etc.
A tune will make your engine reliable as it was meant to be.

Also I recommend spending an evening reading this. It will be enlightening. Your car is unique, and it needs focused and special attention to ensure it runs correctly.

http://www.stephensservice.com/bluet...ssuesproblems/

I wish you all the best!

Last edited by kombifan; 01-24-2019 at 11:28 PM.