GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

rear entertainment problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Best of luck Tom!

You can be honest with the indy. Most of the time they'll appreciate if your able or interested in fixing something yoursekf first, and if you let them know it just probably needs to be coded or flashed it should be oké.

With the dealer you may be better holding your cards closer to your chest and playing the helpless frustrated victim.

Who is cheaper? It really depends. The indy should be cheaper, but it really depends on if you have a relationship with your service advisor at the dealer or the indy. I have a good relationship with the sa at the dealer and he always either undercuts the indy or comps it if it's little things and I've been long out of factory warranty (although a great extended warranty that pays him)

I wouodnt pay more than.5 hour of work regardless. 50-80£
Old 03-06-2019, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gl 350
Hi Kombifan
just by way of update, the indy shop were not able to help. The owner said he knew a guy who could and would give him my number but no one has called.

so as I had the vehicle booked in with the dealer I took it in on Tuesday. The AO service light came on so I asked them to deal with that at the same time.

they dealt with the service as priority yesterday and told me that they didn’t have enough time to deal with the TV but they had taken a look but were not too sure. I kept mentioning to them that it would probably be something simply like coding and they assured me they’d check and get back to me the following day.

today they called and said they had narrowed it down to perhaps being the TV tuning not working. They said they hadn’t had time to strip the two front seats off because that’s where it’s located apparently but they would be able to do so tomorrow and let me know.

i asked them whether they had eliminated everything else and whether they’d tried the coding, he said they had but he didn’t sound so sure. He said they’d checked the wiring and coding and would check the TV tuning tomorrow.

so it remains a mystery!

=kombifan;7693807]Best of luck Tom!

You can be honest with the indy. Most of the time they'll appreciate if your able or interested in fixing something yoursekf first, and if you let them know it just probably needs to be coded or flashed it should be oké.

With the dealer you may be better holding your cards closer to your chest and playing the helpless frustrated victim.

Who is cheaper? It really depends. The indy should be cheaper, but it really depends on if you have a relationship with your service advisor at the dealer or the indy. I have a good relationship with the sa at the dealer and he always either undercuts the indy or comps it if it's little things and I've been long out of factory warranty (although a great extended warranty that pays him)

I wouodnt pay more than.5 hour of work regardless. 50-80£[/QUOTE]
Old 03-06-2019, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Oh no. 😳
Old 03-06-2019, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL 450
I bought a portable dvd player for my kids... seem to be ok. I have a feeling if you just download video and saved the videos on your iPad, you might be saving a lot of money compare to getting a built in system...

Last edited by Big King; 03-08-2019 at 05:37 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:43 AM

g wagon g63
G63 2016

i have this issue i cant play front screen through back screen and i cant play sound through speakers for rear screens can any help me

i see it says click active control but i cant find this

Originally Posted by kombifan

Insert the dvd in the front commmand.
Play dvd.
Click active audio/video for rear from the front command.

from rear dvd.
Click command video source.

It it should work.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:06 AM

g wagon g63
Were is active audio/video

were is active audio/video thanks

Originally Posted by naija99
Hi guys, desperate for some help, 4 kids always in the car and need the system to be fully functional!
I have a GL350 factory installed rear entertainment system. One of the kids put a lollypop stick into the DVD player unit and so the unit stopped working. Took it to the dealer who said it would cost over £2k to replace because it couldnt be repaired. Whilst searching for another option I must add that the front screen was always working and we could watch TV whenever the car was stationary. We had never used DVDs in the back because the kids were always satisfied with the TV. Anyway I went onto eBay and found the dvd player unit with the excat same model number as my old one. I bought it and got it connected but the TV still doesnt work in the back headrests. The writing for each channel comes up on the screen but no picture. Also no sound.
Ive put a dvd inside and that seems to play for a short time but again no sound.
Could someone please advise whether the unit I purchased on eBay is faulty or whether theres something I need to do to get the pitcure and sound working in the back.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 Toyota Tundra, 2013 Mercedes GL550
Select and click the "DVD-Video" tab.

Next screen pops up, scroll towards bottom and you will see the "Active.." click on that.

Also, make sure to use remote and select which rear screen you want to turn on, point it at the screen and hit the power button on remote.