GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

'14 gl450 Engine trouble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 09:21 AM

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts
GL 450
'14 gl450 Engine trouble

So, after months of try to sort out an engine noise, no codes, no impact to performance I am about at my wits end.

it started almost a year ago with my local dealership, i had a complaint about oil consumption, and to a lesser degree engine noise. For months, they were unable to determine anything and simply said it is normal to burn that much oil. The problems never went away, noise got worse and the month after it is out of warranty they tell me i need a new engine. They refuse to provide me the previous owners service records or to really provide any detail around what the problem actually is other, than I need a new engine. Which really makes no sense, it only has 50k miles.

I spoke w MB USA and got no help, apparently this dealership in Central NJ is one that they have problems with and there is nothing they can do about it.

I suppose I am asking if anyone has any ideas. Its a shame too bc i really like the car and would probably buy another one, but not if i am getting treated like this.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:37 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
GL550
It seems that you’ve tried all possible avenues with the dealer and MBUSA. It really sucks on how crappy you’ve been treated (to say the least).

I would strongly make a case with MBUSA with all of your visits to the dealer on hand, when the car was still under-warranty.

Two things could have happen: 1. the dealer knew about the issue and wanted to milk the visits under warranty or 2. Lack of knowledge in diagnosing the issue.

While you wait with MBUSA, take the GL to a very reputable MB Indi mechanic, the problem could be something else and cheaper. It seems to me the dealer saying a new engine is needed is a bit drastic and lack of knowledge in properly diagnosing the issue, assuming the service records all say nothing is wrong (which you’ve indicated).
Old 02-27-2019, 01:59 PM

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts
GL 450
Thanks, i appreciate it. its all very suspect to me.
I think the dealer was ticked i would not let them charge $375 to replace the brake reservoir, took me 15 minutes. Was not worth fighting about the warranty of that part.
Old 10-09-2023, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
I own a 2014 Mercedes-Benz GL450. When I start the engine, I hear a knocking sound that becomes more pronounced when I accelerate. However, the noise significantly diminishes when I reach speeds exceeding 40 miles per hour. Interestingly, there is no noise when I have the air conditioning (AC) turned on, this is for last 5 months, i am still driving. driven its only 76k miles
Old 10-09-2023, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
I own a 2014 Mercedes-Benz GL450. When I start the engine, I hear a knocking sound that becomes more pronounced when I accelerate. However, the noise significantly diminishes when I reach speeds exceeding 40 miles per hour. Interestingly, there is no noise when I have the air conditioning (AC) turned on, this is for last 5 months, i am still driving.
Old 10-18-2023, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,082 Likes on 2,047 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
excellent service

Originally Posted by mblover2023
I own a 2014 Mercedes-Benz GL450. When I start the engine, I hear a knocking sound that becomes more pronounced when I accelerate. However, the noise significantly diminishes when I reach speeds exceeding 40 miles per hour. Interestingly, there is no noise when I have the air conditioning (AC) turned on, this is for last 5 months, i am still driving. driven its only 76k miles
I suggest you take a minute to check the engine oil level with the dipstick!

- As written in the OP and acknowledged by MB dealership this engine is known to drink its own oil from very low mileage.

- The outcome can be low oil damages, not covered by warranty.

The usual startup noise is synonymous with startup rattle that points to defective timing parts (Tensioners, VVT Phasers, Cam Sensors)

- Dealer will acknowledge "this is normal" until repair time comes around with all new camshaft replacement for lack of lubrication... (push for bargain trade-in )

- "Normal wear" as well because the engine oil pressure is managed to stay low. So soft camshafts are now wear items like tires, break pads and wipers.

- All good, no surprise. Excellent service, great cars. It's all about money changing hands.

- Pls post a video or sound clip to help us pinpoint root cause of repairs. Perhaps belt tensioner idlers are calling your attention for service.