GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

2016 GL350 Diesel Fuel Pumps and Knock Sensor Issues?

Old 03-13-2019, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic; 2016 GL350 Bluetec; 2005 F430 Spider
2016 GL350 Diesel Fuel Pumps and Knock Sensor Issues?

2 weeks ago while driving around 65 mph on the highway our GL350 died without warning. Car was totally dead and would not start so it was towed to dealer. Took them days to figure it out. They finally determined that both fuel pumps failed and they claimed this is a rare failure. They replaced the pumps and then upon a test drive a yaw sensor failed which they claim is related to the car dying on the highway at speed. Once that was fixed shortly thereafter the check engine light came on which they diagnosed a knock sensor issue. Do you think that this knock sensor issue is related to the fuel pump failures? Car has 37,000 miles we are the first owner and we never had any trouble with it before the fuel pumps died. Car is still at dealer and foreman takes it home to monitor it.

We may want to buy the car at the end of the lease in August but we are getting worried about the reliability of the truck. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:28 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
MB GL450
From what I have been reading about Diesels (on this form mostly) my advise would be to turn it in at the end of the lease and look for a gas version.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:53 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
GL550
Originally Posted by MBQureshi
From what I have been reading about Diesels (on this form mostly) my advise would be to turn it in at the end of the lease and look for a gas version.
Diesel or Gas these trucks are not fun to repair, when the break, they break hard! Engine has to come out, parts have to be ordered, weeks at the shop etc. That’s not everyone’s case (myself included) but preparing for repairs would only help.

If you’re planning to buy the truck, get the extended warranty for the remaining time you’re planning to keep it (3 year tops), for peace of mind.